Thread: Christmas Games Help needed

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Default Christmas Games Help needed

So, I've been asked to plan some English Christmas Games for a community group's Christmas party.

(As far as I can tell, they seem to be some kind of early literacy group.) The children seem to range in age from about 2 years old to 8 or 9.

Does anyone have any simple-ish ideas for games/activities we could play?

Make some snowflakes... oohhh, it's only Christmas when you make snowflakes!! Yeah may not be a good idea for the kindergarten ones, but elementary school kids could surely handle folding white paper circles and cutting shapes out of them?!?! Pretty, pretty snowflakes (sorry trying to book a ski trip to Hokkaido at the moment so I'm all happy thinking about snow!!!)

Santa Says (instead of good ole Simon)
    Have a dance party only playing christmas songs...

Sorry I'm no help, I keep thinking of the movie The Santa Clause with Tim Allen - I'm gonna do a quiz on the clip where Scott Calvin kills Santa then takes his place... I know the movie inside out now. I can't wait for Christmas....
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

pass-the-parcel is a good one, make it pass-the-christmas-present and you can pretend it's a christmas game... get some sort of small, 100yen-store prize (cute-shaped erasers have gone over well for me. candy is good too, if the kids can have that) and wrap it. then wrap it a bunch more times (it helps to use alternating colors of paper), but between each layer of wrapping paper put in a sticker/candy/whatever. get the kids to sit in a circle and have them pass the present around while you play music. without looking at the kids, stop the music at random, and the kid holding the present gets to take off one layer of wrapping paper and keep whatever's under it. if you want to make it english-y, you can have them say 'my name is...' or whatever first.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

Guess what's in the stocking. Have a couple of 100 yen stockings (large size!) and put something inside - doesn't even need to be Christmas related. Get the kids to sit in a circle and pass the stockings round. If they think they know what's inside they can call out. Even better if they know the English word! Then, at the end, have all the things you had inside the stockings and have them repeat the word loudly an a genki shogakko kind of way! "CHRISTMAS TREE", "TEDDY BEAR" etc.

You can do the rock paper scissors game to almost any theme...

Sing genki Christmas songs - "We wish you a Merry Christmas" and Jingle Bells are easy. (Get some jingly bells from the 100 yen!)

Santa and rudolf wheel barrow races

Good ol' BINGO

Matching pairs or snap

Stations - Have a few stations around the room with Christmas related words "CHRISTMAS TREE" "SANTA" "SNOWMAN" "BABY JESUS" etc Call out a Christmas word and the kids have to run to that station.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

Have them make cards for their friends and family.

KN
    oiuyniyu98h987h89yh87y98yjn987j987y897yhkiuk;''''

sorry.. there was a spider on my keyboard.

My plan was to get my ESS girls to make cards for my friends and family back in the UK ('Dear XXXX, I'm Dob's student! Merry Christmas! Etc.) So I went and bought some nice card and coloured paper last night only to find that ESS is cancelled this week because of exams! :evil:

So I made a card myself while bored in the office, but it didn't turn out very well. And the red 'Merry Christmas' looks like blood on snow; very Fargo-ish!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I tried to make origami angels as presents.
    They kind of look like a cross between a paper plane and a sparrow. Not so angellic. Sigh.

KN
    oiuyniyu98h987h89yh87y98yjn987j987y897yhkiuk;''''

sorry.. there was a spider on my keyboard.

I guess we both suck at Christmas crafts, eh?

Our students could make some lovely stuff, I bet!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Im having my shogakko kids make stockings with colored paper and cotton balls. two halves glued together around the edge, then glue some cotton to the opening and put some small candies/stickers inside. Hurrah! Stockings hung by the chimney with care!
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ko-neko
    Have them make cards for their friends and family.

KN
    I got a one off primary school visit last Christmas and got one of the classes to make Christmas cards. They were supposed to write them to Friends and family, but a few weeks later they all arrived in the post for me... grrr. This was really annoying actually!

So, make sure they write the name of a friend or family before you leave the school if you don't want 40 shogakkosei cards!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.