Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back up plans? [Plan B]

Default Back up plans? (Plan B)

I wish I could say I'm confident I will get the position, but I'm not. Even though I have a strong resume and recommendation letters, it seems that the acceptance criteria is random after seeing so many people qualified people get rejected. I'm banking on the fact that I will get accepted, which isn't really wise, given the 25% acceptance rate.

A wiser plan would be to have a plan B for living in Japan. I've thought about working for NOVA, but that thought makes me shudder in pain. Has anyone else explored some alternatives? I'm a qualified software developer who doesn't speak Japanese, so I don't think getting a real job in Japan would be feasible. One reason why I was attracted to JET is that they make the transition to Japan easy for newcomers.

So what are your thoughts?

I've been looking at NOVA also. probably what i'll do if i can't get into JET. although I do speak japanese pretty well already so maybe I'll be able to find another way into the country.
    A former highschool teacher of mine that i still keep in touch with did AEON like 10 years ago, when he first graduated from college. He said he really enjoyed it and thought it was a really good program. not sure how it is nowadays however.

Default Re: Back up plans? (Plan B)

Quote Originally Posted by mindarchitect
    I've thought about working for NOVA, but that thought makes me shudder in pain.
    I've met people here who enjoy working for NOVA, so don't discount them completely.

Saying that, I'll recommend Westgate again: www.westgate.co.jp
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Default Plan - B Don't do anything

My current job is okay, so if I don't get in, I'm just going to wait it out and apply next year.

I hate my current job!!!! Honestly, if they ask me to strip naked and run through the streets of Toronto during my interview...I'll do it without question, as it'll still be less humiliating than my current job, lol.

I work retail, btw. >_<

I noticed that some of you were considering NOVA. I recently applied and got an interview but I was wondering if any of you have any more information about the company, they almost seem too good to be true

Some people hate NOVA with a passion and say it's a terrible place to work; some people quite enjoy it. I think it depends on the individual office. Big Daikon may have some better advice for you, though.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

If no JET Im gunna put off Japan for a year and head to Korea. Can save more money to help eventual independant move to Japan. Not interested in NOVA etc except last resort.

Nova sucks ass. At least that is what everyone tells me.

However, you could use them to get in then shop around for an alternative. There are a lot of private English schools around. See what you can get.

Anna
    oiuyniyu98h987h89yh87y98yjn987j987y897yhkiuk;''''

sorry.. there was a spider on my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowrook
    I hate my current job!!!! Honestly, if they ask me to strip naked and run through the streets of Toronto during my interview...I'll do it without question, as it'll still be less humiliating than my current job, lol.

I work retail, btw. >_<
    I second that!!!

On the NOVA thing though, i've benn speaking to a woman that used to be on NOVA who really enjoyed it and says it was one of the best experiences of her life. She said that, basically, it's what you make it.
    A lot of people go to NOVA who aren't interested in teaching Japanese at all and these are the people who hate it. Even if you don't want to pursue teaching as a full time career try to do your best anyway. Your students will appreciate you for it, which will make you feel good and make NOVA a good experience.
    Personally, the only thing i don't like about NOVA is the shared accomodation (and the fact that you get £5000 less than JET!). However, if i screw up my interview then i'll be applying to NOVA, no messin'!
    "Old loves they die hard
    Old lies they die harder"
    - Nightwish, 'Wish I Had An Angel'

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by shadowrook
    I work retail, btw. >_<
    Im so so sorry...i feel your pain completely...hope you get in!!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Does anyone know anything about Heart English School? http://www.heart-school.jp/en/index.html

They don't have information on salary or applications...of course. I'm about to send them an email; before I do I'd like to see what some others know about the company.

I've been pinning everything on going to Japan through JET but I'm thinking of applying to the government for an entry-level job. Just kind of worried that if I get a job and then, right away, I have to say, "I'll be needing these days off cause I have an interview for ANOTHER job." ops: But the way the government works here, you can only apply for this new grad program during the year after you graduate. Well, maybe I should just do it cause they get 90, 000 applicants and only have about 300 jobs.

Just got my email . . . to tell me I didn't get an interview. :cry: So I guess it's plan B for me, whatever that is. Should I hold out for next year or look at applying to one of these Eikaiwas?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladama
    Just got my email . . . to tell me I didn't get an interview. :cry: So I guess it's plan B for me, whatever that is. Should I hold out for next year or look at applying to one of these Eikaiwas?
    Ladama, awww, I'm sorry to hear that.

Default Plan B - Ask Your Congressman...or something

If you still want to teach in Japan and you are from the US you should absolutely check if your state has some kind of JETesque exchange. For example, WI has this sort of relationship with Chiba. And if memory serves, the apps are due in Feb...

Quote Originally Posted by Cartersparkles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladama
    Ladama, awww, I'm sorry to hear that.
    Thanks, I suppose it good I learn this now rather than possibly get rejected after the interview and not be finding that out until Late March or Early April. Sad. Oh well, I'm rooting for all you guys who have interviews.

Default Re: Plan B - Ask Your Congressman...or something

Quote Originally Posted by occidental_xiaojie
    If you still want to teach in Japan and you are from the US you should absolutely check if your state has some kind of JETesque exchange. For example, WI has this sort of relationship with Chiba. And if memory serves, the apps are due in Feb...
    Yeah, maybe, I guess Colorado and Yamagata are sister states and do a fair amount of exchange. I'm going to talk to my sensei tomorrow and see if she can used her awesome sensei-powers and direct me towards different programs. If Japan's not gonna happen, I am going to have a Graphic Design degree soon, I might have to try to use it.

Hey Ladama, that's too bad.

Congrats on your Graphic Design degree though!

I'd look into private English schools rather than the big chains. If you have any contacts in Japan already, that is the best way to go. Chain schools don't seem to treat their employees too well. This is just what I hear anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.