Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back up plans? [Plan B]

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah
    Hey Ladama, that's too bad.

Congrats on your Graphic Design degree though!

I'd look into private English schools rather than the big chains. If you have any contacts in Japan already, that is the best way to go. Chain schools don't seem to treat their employees too well. This is just what I hear anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Do you have any suggestions as to where to look online for those kind of positions? My sensei gave me email addresses for a couple of her past students who are in Japan now on Non-JET programs, I'll have to drop them a line and see if they suggest their program or any others.

I was rejected from JET. On Thursday.

Today I have a telephone interview with a school in Mito.

It took 72 hours for me to get an interview with an English school. If you were rejected from JET, it may have been for the best; you can now look around for English schools in the area you would like to live, actually speak to real people about the job, and get a much faster turnaround time (instead of two months).

Here's a good site that has some different listings:

http://www.teachabroad.com/Japan.cfm

Also, I found some random messageboard for ESL teachers:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/

That website also has a Chinese and Korean posting area, specifially. There are tons of ALT jobs waiting to be taken. Just look around and have some confidence.

Good luck.

Default Sound too good to be true?

Here's the WI program, as an example:
    http://dpi.wi.gov/cal/ie-chiba-ss.html

And as for China...I did this program:
    http://www.educasian.com/program/teachinchina.html

Default Re: Sound too good to be true?

Default Keeping the Options Open

Maybe the natives do, I dunno. But I tend to think that it is more the UP types and the Minnesotans with the serious accents. Anyone care to weigh in?

Anyway, more Plan B items...
    World's best language related summer job:
    http://clvweb.cord.edu/prweb/default.asp

Sure, going to Europe after Asia is like seeing the Rockies and then Appalachia, but this grad program looks pretty awesome:
    http://www.webster.edu/global/
    What do you think?

Well plan B is coming along nicely, Got an interview for AEON and an interview for GEOS. hopefully at least one of those will go well and I'll be in japan by july.
    Everything i say is a lie....except that.....and that...and that..and that..and that, and that, and that, and that....... and that.....

Well, I didn't get an interview, but it did not come as a surprise.

Whoever said that the JET selection process is completely random, is correct. I'm not really sure how my 2 years of formal teaching experience means I'm less qualified to be a teacher than someone with zero experience, but somehow I think the people at JET know.

But anyways, going back to the topic of my thread...the day I received my email stating I was not welcome for an interview with JET, was the same day I received a request for an interview for a position as a senior developer in Tokyo. Basically this means I have a good chance of moving to Tokyo earning double the salary I would with JET. The irony of the situation made me laugh.

Then I thought about all the people who got rejected while banking their future on getting a JET interview. I kind of feel sorry for these people, but then, they made poor choices by assuming they would be in the 25% to get accepted.

I'm pretty excited about the future now, more so than when I was thinking about the possibility of teaching english in Japan. Anyone else end up having a plan B that turned out to be better than joining with JET?

Quote Originally Posted by mindarchitect
    Whoever said that the JET selection process is completely random, is correct. I'm not really sure how my 2 years of formal teaching experience means I'm less qualified to be a teacher than someone with zero experience, but somehow I think the people at JET know.
    Yeah, no one seems to know, I don't even think the JET people know.

Then I thought about all the people who got rejected while banking their future on getting a JET interview. I kind of feel sorry for these people, but then, they made poor choices by assuming they would be in the 25% to get accepted.
    It's nothing to bank on, but how many times have you been one of only 4 people applying for a job? Do you have better than a 25% chance of getting this job in Tokyo? If you do, you're pretty lucky there. I'm happy to see your plan B is working out pretty well.

I'm still working on mine. When I got my rejection, I immediately thought about an eikaiwa, but those are more like a cubicle job than a teaching position, and the only company I'm even considering would require a trip to Cali. NOVA is coming to Denver right on my spring break, so it's tempting to at least go for it, but hearing that it's "the mcdonalds of ekaiwa's" is certainly not encouraging. I think plan B right now is have a strong last semester, and put going to Japan on the back burner for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladama
    It's nothing to bank on, but how many times have you been one of only 4 people applying for a job? Do you have better than a 25% chance of getting this job in Tokyo?
    Not sure as I've never asked recruiters how many other people applied. Since I usually do job applications online, I'd estimate that probably hundreds or even thousands of other people are applying for the same job. The thing is, when I apply for jobs, I apply for 10 or 20 at a time, and I do this for weeks on end, which means in a few weeks I am getting interviews and job offers. But what is obvious and different about JET, is that people don't apply for the sake of gaining employment. They apply because they want this specific position, which you cannot apply for anywhere else. For this reason, it doesn't really make sense to compare JET to a normal job.

I would guess that I have a > 50% chance of getting the job offer in Tokyo, based on my experience here in the USA. So far I am 3/3 on interviews/job offers, and if I wear the lucky tie, I will most likely be 4/4.

Would working a private company for a year negatively impat your future JET applications?

Everyone should have a tenitave plan B, but for now think optimistic and retain the too-cool mellowness that your apps must have refelected yo get all of us to the interview phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexebel
    Would working a private company for a year negatively impat your future JET applications?

Everyone should have a tenitave plan B, but for now think optimistic and retain the too-cool mellowness that your apps must have refelected yo get all of us to the interview phase.
    I personally doubt I'd do an eikaiwa for a year then do JET, I don't know how many people go for JET after an eikaiwa stint. Who knows if it would negatively impact a JET app? It just might because you would be wise to what "teaching" English in Japan is all about.

I'm currently a JET. And though I was aiming at English Conversation schools like NOVA, AEON, if I can't get into JET, I pretty much had no idea what other options are there.

However, it appears to me that once you get yourself into Japan successfully, you'll find out about resources/opportunities within Japan easily. I came across this book that someone wrote on this very topic and figure it might of help to people who can't get into JET. You can check it out here.