Thread: sending the consulate my passport?

Default sending the consulate my passport?

i haven't been on itil in a while, and i just read in another thread that you need to send your passport to the consulate a couple of months before departure, and you won't get it back until departure time. assuming i get accepted, this presents a huge problem for me. i will be in china and korea from may 9-28, and then i'm doing a 3 week eurotrip in june. will these trips get in the way of jet (or will jet get in the way of these trips)? :smt009
    the spiderman is having you for dinner tonight.

The only way you'll know is by phoning your embassy and asking them. Getting the visa can take a while and they need your passport for that, so it may be a problem.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

The home of Japanese hardware (via the state of Maine)

I had the same problem- I was on a family vacation to the UK when they wanted our passports, and since I kind of wanted to get back into the US when the trip was over, that wasn't really feasible. I gave the embassy a call, and they said it wasn't a problem; they told me to send the passport via FedEx to them once I was back in the country, which I did. If you leave near enough to the place where you'll be interviewing, you might be able to just drop it off by hand when you get back.

Basically, what Dob said- you'll have to call the consulate and let them know what's up, but they've probably dealt with these issues before and won't be too fazed (at least, assuming you're not going to be getting back from your trip only a day or two before leaving for Japan).
    "Hello, this is Dr. Niles Crane.... Although I feel perfectly qualified to fill Frasier's radio shoes, I should warn you that while Frasier is a Freudian, I am a Jungian. So there'll be no
    blaming Mother today!"
    -Niles Crane

Actually, if I recall correctly, when I worked in Japan before JET, it only took about 3 days for the Japanese Embassy in London to process my working visa, so you'll probably be okay.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

i'll be back home about a month before the departure date, so hopefully everything will be ok. thanks for the replies!!
    the spiderman is having you for dinner tonight.