Thread: Chicago

Default Chicago

I guess it's not a 4 day notification process after all for Chicago.

Dear JET Program Applicant,

Thank you for your recent application to the 2006 Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program. The JET Program Review Committee has now processed and evaluated all applications. Unfortunately, we cannot offer you an interview for this year's program. Please be aware that the decisions made by the JET Program Review Committee are final, and there is no appeals process. We ask that you please refrain from calling or emailing our office to ask specifically why you were not selected for an interview because it is our policy not to comment on this information.

Generally speaking, the following are some of the most common reasons applicants are not selected: missing documents (such as official transcripts, proof of graduation, recommendation letters, or proof of study abroad), unofficial documents, and/or failure to meet eligibility requirements or to effectively address necessary points in statement of purpose.

We sincerely hope that our decision will in no way diminish your interest in exchange and teaching opportunities with Japan and encourage you to try again for next year's program. If you would like to apply for the 2007 program, please visit our website at www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JETProgram/homepage.htm in September 2006 to access the 2007 application. Carefully reviewing application instructions is very important and may improve your chances of selection in the future.

Sorry to hear that, jerm. Are you going to apply next year or will you take the ekaiwa rout?

ugh, that email, I hate that email. And they're going to send us rejects hard copies so we can experience it again!

But yeah, apply next year, or look at an ekaiwa? I really don't want to wait around another year praying JET will bless me with an interview, so maybe an ekaiwa is worth a shot.

i heard stories where people who came back from JET had a hard time looking for jobs with the degree they got.. i think you should go find a job work for about a year or so for the experience then go to japan. When you decide to come back it'll be easy for you to find a job because youll have something on your resume other than being a tape recorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ltran904
    i heard stories where people who came back from JET had a hard time looking for jobs with the degree they got.. i think you should go find a job work for about a year or so for the experience then go to japan. When you decide to come back it'll be easy for you to find a job because youll have something on your resume other than being a tape recorder.
    i've heard stories where people [...] had a hard time looking for jobs with the degree they got. period. (full stop).

Quote Originally Posted by jermlab
    Quote Originally Posted by ltran904
    i've heard stories where people [...] had a hard time looking for jobs with the degree they got. period. (full stop).
    Yeah, is it more difficult to find a job after going into JET straight out of college, or just being straight of out college? I would think JET would give someone a slight advantage.

Anyway, I'm starting to think I forgot to dot an i somewhere and my app was thrown out on a technicality. There are 4 of us in my Japanese class who applied, and the other 3 have interviews, I'm really starting to feel lame about it. One classmate told me today he doesn't even really want to do it anymore (thought I think if he get a position he'll change his tune) and neither does his brother, who also got an interview. I gave him my best "I hate you right now" look, but he proceeded to tell me that the interview will be good experience for him, and blah blah. Well, I hope everyone who deserves it gets a position (not sure if my classmate is included in that list )