Thread: A suggestion

Default A suggestion

Do what the people at Ilocano.org do. Having a window like that would be so annoying that all the lurkers would have to join!

http://www.ilocano.org/community/
    the spiderman is having you for dinner tonight.

Please, Please Please don't.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

I'm with Tom on this. I get the impression that a lot of people use the site as an information resource, particularly with regards to the JET application process. After being accepted, they may then never return here again. Having a big banner like that would just annoy people - if you're just looking for some info, why bother signing up and joining in if you don't want to?
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

VIP

Yeah, guest lurkers dont hurt. If they really want to say something, they will register. Its not like they have to wait for approval or anything.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

NO NO NO NO NO!!

Tom and Dob have the right Idea here...guests dont hurt! And having an annoying ass window like that isnt gonna make em wanna come back either!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Fair enough. Just thought I'd throw it out there since so many people on here complain that there aren't enough users.

Anyway, I had visited that page to get some info for my upcoming trip to the Philippines, and I did end up joining cuz there was no other way that I could read the forums!
    the spiderman is having you for dinner tonight.

but joining to read doesn't mean you'll contribute. we have 1211 registered users, less than 1/10 post I guess.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

noooooooooooooooo.
    my god thats irritating - im surprised people dont just give up and leave straight off, its very annoying indeed! (sorry just adding my 2pence worth)

Yep, as a former lurker, I would have to say it would be a bad idea to have anything like that. ESPECIALLY on this site. You can pressure people to join all you want, but then you end up with a huge amount of members and the same old posters. Believe me, the no. of members not posting now will be minimal compared to what it would be if this sort of thing was implemented.
    Could indeed scare people off too.

I think maybe a join button at the bottom of the page would be ok, as some people may just link in rather than go through the main page.
    Awww... you look like you need a hug! \(^^)/

VIP

Yeah, if you want to do that (link thing), sure. But its not like we're in a race to get more members. We've built a pretty nice community here, and only on days when i have few classes am I able to sit down and read all the posts.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamis
    Yeah, if you want to do that (link thing), sure. But its not like we're in a race to get more members. We've built a pretty nice community here, and only on days when i have few classes am I able to sit down and read all the posts.

Matt
    Agreed, but certainly make sure that it's easy for those so inclined to join.
    Awww... you look like you need a hug! \(^^)/

If you want people to join...you should have pictures that prime thoughts of joining and registering. I can't tell you what the pictures should be, just that priming is a very effective way for convincing others to do things.

VIP

We could have pictures of semi-naked women (and men, hey, equal opportunities), promising full disclosure to members.

Oh wait, thats my other site...

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!