Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JET Selection Criteria is completely random

Default JET Selection Criteria is completely random

I wasted my time applying for JET, spending 5-10 hours trying to find all the documents, writing the perfect essay, revising it, asking people for reference letters, asking them to resend because they only put two letters in the sealed signed envelope, overnighting the package for $15, paying my school for new transcripts, etc...

2 months later I'm not welcome for an interview. Apparently my flawless grades and 2 years of teaching experience weren't what they were looking for in a teacher. Their loss, and my gain, because I've saved myself the time of preparing for the interview, while interviewing for better positions in Tokyo. I'm glad I didn't bank on getting an interview like so many did. Let this be a lesson that JET selection criteria is completely random. Don't get your hopes up. I didn't, and now I'm glad. I wonder how many people will be scarred for life when they find out that they didn't get accepted by JET after their interview? I've seen some fairly rabid posts by people hell-bent on getting into JET, or else their world will end as we know it....kind of makes me wonder.

Default Re: JET Selection Criteria is completely random

Quote Originally Posted by mindarchitect
    I wasted my time applying for JET, spending 5-10 hours trying to find all the documents, writing the perfect essay, revising it, asking people for reference letters, asking them to resend because they only put two letters in the sealed signed envelope, overnighting the package for $15, paying my school for new transcripts, etc...

2 months later I'm not welcome for an interview. Apparently my flawless grades and 2 years of teaching experience weren't what they were looking for in a teacher. Their loss, and my gain, because I've saved myself the time of preparing for the interview, while interviewing for better positions in Tokyo. I'm glad I didn't bank on getting an interview like so many did. Let this be a lesson that JET selection criteria is completely random. Don't get your hopes up. I didn't, and now I'm glad. I wonder how many people will be scarred for life when they find out that they didn't get accepted by JET after their interview? I've seen some fairly rabid posts by people hell-bent on getting into JET, or else their world will end as we know it....kind of makes me wonder.
    Looks like JET managed to escape hiring one hell of a whiny bitch.

What exactly did I whine about? I wasted unnecessary time and money preparing an application to no end. Currently I'm interviewing for positions in Tokyo that pay double the JET salary. My situation now is better than before. If anything I'm patting myself on the back and warning other candidates, explaining that it is important to have a back up plan which I did. Had I been accepted to JET, I doubt I would have ever applied for any IT positions in Tokyo and would have ended up settling for a much smaller salary with JET than I am accustomed to.

fyrey, is this you?!

just wondering...

if salary means that much to you why did you even apply to JET in the first place? seems like you put a lot of effort into applying something that you wouldn't have really enjoyed.[/quote]
    Everything i say is a lie....except that.....and that...and that..and that..and that, and that, and that, and that....... and that.....

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

How can you be sure that your essay was perfect? Do you know exactly what they were looking for? Did you read everyone elses essays? Also define flawless...4.5 GPA? 4.0? No one has a flawless record my friend everyone screws up at least once...OK so you might make 2x the salary at where ever it is you are going to work now but...are you subsidized? Do you have a pre setup support network? You probably get paid more because its costs 2x as much to live in Tokyo as it does out here in the sticks...I pay 20000 a month for rent (50000 total after subs) my best friend who lives in Yokohama pays 150000 a month...so i can understand the extra money involved...

Not everyone wants to live in Tokyo either so dont act like its all better and shit...I for one wouldnt want to live in Tokyo...I live 2 hours from Kyoto and thats good enough to visit when i want and not have to deal with all the noise and shit that comes with living in city...im happy here and thats the point as far as im concerned...

Ill agree with your having a back up plan though...and congrats for finding a decent way to come here still...but really...most of us dont care or want to hear about how you think the JET programme selection process is random just cause you didnt get in and you thought you should....geeze...

You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    What exactly did I whine about? I wasted unnecessary time and money preparing an application to no end. Currently I'm interviewing for positions in Tokyo that pay double the JET salary. My situation now is better than before. If anything I'm patting myself on the back and warning other candidates, explaining that it is important to have a back up plan which I did. Had I been accepted to JET, I doubt I would have ever applied for any IT positions in Tokyo and would have ended up settling for a much smaller salary with JET than I am accustomed to.
    You may actually be expected to work for that money, well, at least turn up to school. I've been home since 10.30am. *yawwwn* Think I'll take a lil' nap...
    Ya think? Also, you'll want to reread my post, because I am not applying for school jobs. And while I'm actually working, I might actually gain some experience I can put on my resume. To answer the dude's question: I think I would have enjoyed JET. Who wouldn't enjoy a position where you get paid to do very little actual work. I guess I kind of saw JET (as many do) as an extended vacation away from home. I didn't know until I started applying for real jobs that it would be so easy to land interviews.

Default Re: JET Selection Criteria is completely random

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey
    Looks like JET managed to escape hiring one hell of a whiny bitch.
    What Fyrey said. I can understand the frustration (and, to be honest, I probably would have felt the same if I hadn't gotten an interview) but bitching about it isn't doing anyone any favours, except to possibly make you feel better about yourself.

You're 'not welcome for an interview'!?! Having perfect grades and teaching experience does not guarantee you an interview with anyone! What makes you so special? Do you have any actual idea what CLAIR is looking for when it selects JETs? Where does it say that they want experienced teachers? They may have actually seen your experience as a disadvantage, which makes sense when you hear about how frustrated some JETs get with the lack of actual teaching they're doing.

Having a back-up plan is a great idea, obviously, and you're right about how a lot of people get so into being a JET.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Why don't you post on www.bigdaikon.com . They will be much more supportive and won't attack you as much.

Good luck in Tokyo.
    Pau

I'll have to agree with doomer on this one. Your first post seemed pretty conceited, MA. though, I think you're right about how a lot of people view jet as an extended vacation where you shouldn't have to do very much work for your money. I find that very sad indeed.
    Everything i say is a lie....except that.....and that...and that..and that..and that, and that, and that, and that....... and that.....

My situation now is better than before.
    Care to clarify how exactly? The way I see it - you still have no job and your sights are set on living the drone life of an IT worker probably, I'm guessing, at a recruitment firm - correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, your soul is forfeit - I hope your bitterness helps with the pain.

Amagaeru - No.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiiantime
    Why don't you post on www.bigdaikon.com . They will be much more supportive and won't attack you as much.
    I've never been to bigdaikon, but I can't imagine that they could be any more supportive than the caring and thoughtful people on this site.

Duuuuuuuuude, it was a joke.

Sorry, just noticed this -

I doubt I would have ever applied for any IT positions in Tokyo and would have ended up settling for a much smaller salary with JET than I am accustomed to.
    Aged 22 - which branch of KFC are you working for?

More importantly - once you leave - will they be hiring?

jus ackin' brah :wink:
    Pau

oh. I'm pretty stupid about jokes. in fact i'm pretty stupid in general. I think i want to be a street performer when I grow up. stand on the street corner and do a dance, sing a song, and people will throw coins into my guitar case.

Nah, no worries. Humor is an illogical concept anyway.
    Pau

god damn double posts

wait, but seriously I've never been to bigdaikon. are they a bunch of jackasses?

are they a bunch of jackasses?
    No not at all. Plus jackass is such a subjective term anyway. I think the OP would like it there much better.
    Pau

actually I was wondering if everyone on there was an Equus asinus a quadrupedal member of the order Perissodactyla.