Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australian Applicants?

Default Australian Applicants?

Are there any Australians out there who have heard anything about their acceptance or not?

As of today (April 3) I have not, so was just wondering....

Default yep

yep Im from Oz & no news yet!?

a few others from Melb & Syd have posted on Big Daikon with no news either....

hopefully soon.

Default no reply

Interviewed in Brisbane, havent heard back yet. Hopefully we will be contacted by email and/or phone, rather than just snail mail....The wait continues..

melbourne applicants are apparently being notified by post...

Iko - where did you interview?

& what kind of placement requests did you guys make?

I requested the Toyama prefecture..Mainly because my sister was placed there when she was on JET and i have been there..

Put down Saitama as second preference, because its close to Tokyo, i would love to live near Tokyo

How about you Bess..

Hiroshima... I'd really love to be in Hiroshima

Oh wow, there are other aussie applicants here.

No news yet. I requested Yamanashi, Kanagawa and Sapporo.

Edited to correct shitty grammar.

I interviewed in Melbourne (can't remember the date offhand). I also can't remember where I requested, somewhere in central Japan - but i'm not too fussed.

Well its now Wednesday.....bring on the postie!

Another Aussie here. I interviewed in Sydney, still no response. Reading about people from Canada, the US, UK and NZ getting responses this week is slowly sending me insane. :smt073

But at least I'm not the only Aussie suffering.

Psycho ward here I come!

See you all at RPA eh? :smt043

Two people from Western Australia have posted on BD that they've received their acceptance letters today. So maybe tomorrow or Friday for us.

Ah that's a bit scary isn't it?

I think it all depends on what city you are in and what postal district. I am within one of the area of a huge postal distribution centre and all my mail tends to come late.

But then it's interesting that Perth is the first to let people know.

I seem to remember that Perth applicants had their interviews much earlier than Sydney did, but since Tokyo notified all of the consulates and embassies on the same date... :?

Maybe their JET co-ordinator is more organised than the ones on the east coast.

I'm getting my JET correspondence sent to my parent's P.O. box, but we have had some mail in recent times turn up 3 months later than what was indicated on the original post mark. 8O But usually, stuff sent from Sydney gets to me within 2 business days.

Whoa...between 2 and 90 days you will get your answer then :smt005

Hopefully sooner rather than later!
    Awww... you look like you need a hug! \(^^)/

I just got a rejection letter from Sydney. :cry: Now I kinda wish I hadn't done an Asian Studies degree majoring in Japanese language and history, and actually done something that had decent employment prospects where I live. :smt009 I received post-grad application packs that I sent off for earlier today as well, guess that's what I'll be doing come July now. I'm not sure if I want to re-apply to JET again for 2007, the waiting period makes it really difficult to make any other important decision regarding my career. :/ I had hoped that 2006 would've been my best chance at JET since this year is Australia-Japan Year of Exchange, but I guess not. Not going to apply for an eikaiwa job either.

Have to wait until sometime this afternoon to hear what my best friend's interview result was.

Am just feeling gutted at the moment.

Ah Meerkat, don't give up hope! There are plenty of English schools here in Japan. Look around on this site for alternatives to JET and see what you can find.

JET is a good job for many people, but you can see by the posts here that it is not perfect. Do your research, find the good schools and start applying.

Anyway, such cool qualifications would be wasted in most JET style ALT situations!

KN
    oiuyniyu98h987h89yh87y98yjn987j987y897yhkiuk;''''

sorry.. there was a spider on my keyboard.

That's shit, I'm sorry to hear that, Meerkat.

I will probably be posting a similar message later today.

But I think its good to post that. Future JET applicants from our city need the gravtitating effect of people telling their results, even if they were bad.

You should go back to uni, like you suggested. I did that. I'm doing something much more career-relevant than my first degree, and a lot more career relevant than JET. JET would be great fun and an excellent experience and something I want to do but deep down I know that I should stay at uni. I'm sure you probably feel the same way. Not to say that your first degree wasn't worth doing, it provided insight and skills, but you have a lot more options with study as well.

Good luck, Meerkat. Hope things turn out well for you.

I think I'll try and save up some money and visit Japan as a tourist over my summer, I've got some Japanese friends that were exchange students at my uni & uni residence, so I'd love to be able to visit them. One of my friends from high school is over in Nagoya with ECC at the moment, I'll give him a few months to see how he fares.

I've got 3 weeks to get my application in for the 2nd semester intake for Grad Dip. of Education at my local university. My eldest sister works in the education faculty there, so maybe I can get some advice from the lecturers there on what would be best. (I did a combined degree programme - BSc majoring in computer science and mathematics in addition to the BAS previously mentioned)

Oh don't worry too much about that. I have a BA (usyd) and I got into postgrad Education (UTS) without any trouble at all. My marks were shithaus too. You can make up to 6 different applications on the one 42 dollar form through UAC. I did that and got 6 offers. Seriously not hard and yet very rewarding and worth doing. And thanks to the fact that so many people have dropped out of my course, and I assume many other courses as well, there should be lots of open spots for you to fill

What kind of education are you interested in? I study Adult education (which is why I'm at UTS).

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    You should go back to uni, like you suggested. I did that. I'm doing something much more career-relevant than my first degree, and a lot more career relevant than JET.
    I'm just in two minds about it at the moment, I just finished my 5th year of full-time uni last year and was feeling extremely burnt out. ^^; But I think a post-grad qualification in education would make my undergrad degrees more useful (yeah, one of them was majoring in comp sci, but I never wanted to make that my career).

Anyway, I hope you receive more positive news than I did dombay.