Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Australian Applicants?

Hi all,

I'm one of those alternates that's just waiting to take your place :smt077

Seriously, I was pretty devastated to get one of those A4 envelopes and get all excited just to find out I'm a backup But oh well, I guess there's still a chance. Just really over all the waiting by now! I'm in Adelaide, found out my result on Monday.

Congrats to all those that were short-listed

Being an alternate means that you have passed the second stage of the screening process. It means that you are suitable for the program and a lot of alternates end up going. It's a good thing. I know a few people who were flat out rejected and they are 'pretty devestated'.

... went to the doctor today, new doctor, toddling off to be x rayed tomorrow and if I don't have TB everything is done. All free too. Medicare isn't that bad after all.

Dombay said
    Your nick reminded me of a bar in Hong Kong called Wooloomooloo. Noone gets it. I wouldn't go to that bar because its full of Australians drinking Fosters but I like the name all the same.
    I saw that place in HK two weeks ago!!!

I didn't go for almost exactly that reason!

KN
    oiuyniyu98h987h89yh87y98yjn987j987y897yhkiuk;''''

sorry.. there was a spider on my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Being an alternate means that you have passed the second stage of the screening process. It means that you are suitable for the program and a lot of alternates end up going.
    I really hope you're right about that!! I'm in Alternate in California.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Being an alternate means that you have passed the second stage of the screening process. It means that you are suitable for the program and a lot of alternates end up going.
    You're right of course, but I still couldn't bring myself to jump for joy or anything when I found out that I'll still be waiting possibly until Sept. I do count myself lucky that I wasn't flat out rejected though. I thought that I bombed out on the interview so it was definitely a better result.

I just hope that I get upgraded - have travelled to Japan last year for a holiday and really want to go beyond the tourism level and immerse myself in the culture. We'll see!

Did you go through the Melbourne CG being from Adelaide?

I read on BD that they didn't pass many people this year. As for the Australia -Japan YOE ... they don't seem to be sending anymore Australians! Of course BD is full of people who are full of shit, but it's an interesting rumour.

Yes I went through the Melbourne CG for mine.

I did read that rumour on BD. I hope it's not true but I don't really want to bug the consulate to find out either!

Bah, I'm sure I'll be seing you in Tokyo.

Heaps of peolpe will drop out. Getting the medical is a bit of a nightmare, that should kill a few 'oh I'm not sure' s off.

I originally got one of the manilla A4 envelopes listing me as an alternate.

I have a brilliant academic record, including a Dip.Ed. So I was pretty devastated at the time. I thought it might have been my age (38 years) or my lack of Japanese language. But it could have been anything.

The person who contacted me two weeks later to ask if I'd accept a post sounded surprised that I was actually available. I guess they thought I might have got a better offer somehow. I had to do all of my medical etc in a hurry (and I had to deal with ANZAC day delays) but I'm arriving with the rest of Group A on July 30.

I didn't get my first, second, or third preference (all big cities) but I am going to Toyama-ken. No idea of exactly where yet.

Aussie JETs let us know where your placements are.

I hope the other alternates have been as lucky as I was.

Welcome aboard.

Where in Aus are you from?

I'm from McLaren Vale, South Australia.

Home of the best Shiraz in Australia. Will have to be sure to enjoy some before I go as with the expense of extra baggage I don't think I will be taking bottles with me. Too many books etc to take (I have some writing/research to do in my spare time while in Japan).

Quote Originally Posted by theenigma
    I really hope you're right about that!! I'm in Alternate in California.
    Well, it won't do you any good if any of us drop out, then. When applicants that applied through a particular consulate or embassy drop out, their spots are filled by alternates from the same consulate or embassy.

In this respect, though, you're lucky, as the larger the JET pool applying through the same embassy or consulate as you (which for major US capitals is pretty large indeed), the more people will drop out and the more opportunities you'll have of being upgraded from an alternate.

In some smaller consulates, the average number of people that drop out before leaving time is less than one, meaning more often than not, none of their alternates are upgraded...