Thread: For Anyone Rejected or Waiting and Still Wants to Teach

Default For Anyone Rejected or Waiting and Still Wants to Teach

If you still want to teach English, know that teaching English jobs in Japan are a dime a dozen. My plan B was to apply for several eikaiwa jobs, get one, get the work visa and head out to Japan. Once there, if I don't think the job is good enough, get another one and another one until I get something decent. Luckily, you don't have to change your work visa at all through this process. This is what my advisor did and another friend of mine did this and found a job within her first week! The big thing though, is the work visa. It seems easier to get it when you are OUT of Japan rather than IN Japan. So get that first, but remember it doesn't necessarily mean you are stuck with that job!

Good luck!

P.S. Earlham College has no due date in their teaching English in Japan program. Great program, check it out!

I am with you, in that I will be looking at private companies/schools if I get rejected(still waiting from NYC). If I get rejected, I'll prob start posting on this forums to get info(besides the large list that I've compiled myself from eslcafe and gaijinpot). Teaching English in Japan has been something I've wanted to do for a while, and I won't give up just because I don't get on JET.

Default do keep us posted

i am very interested in other options in case i dont get in... any recomendations would be brilliant... i need to have saved 2500$ in order to get a work visa in Japan? is there a way around that? anyone know about the working holiday visa and if that requires big cash as well?
    hang in there guys...
    and good luck
    g. :smt006

I think that if you get a job with a private school/company, they will sponsor your visa.

Default any tips?

isn't it iffy though, accepting a job without cheking out the school or area...
    I taught in korea, i got locked down pretty bad- and to avoid unpleasentries again i decided to apply through JET, since as a free agent, going in blindly, signing on for a year is kind of scary... your saying it is easy to quit and change schools after a short trial run? without becoming an illegal alien,

Aslo what are good adresses to find private contracts?
    cheers!
    g.

Anyone thinking about other options should visit the job discussion boards at Daves ESL cafe. The members are extremely knowledgable and any scams are usually posted there first. If you have ANY questions about visas or anything they can help (PaulH is prob the best to ask, but Glenski and others are good too)
    Awww... you look like you need a hug! \(^^)/

Teaching in Korea:

I wouldn't do it, I've heard too many horrible horror stories to ever want to teach there. In fact, there are so many problems with Americans stuck in shady jobs that take advantage of you, the US embassy in South Korea has a warning on its website about teaching in Korea. They suggest you don't do it at all because they've had so many complaints, but they can't do anything.

Yes, it is scary accepting a job from people you've never met, but if you get there and don't like it, get another job! Just use them (NOVA) for a visa and then go free style.

I've heard great things about Westgate, and as I've said before, Earlham College is a US college that has a program to teach English in Japan that is as safe and shady-free as JET. I almost took that job too. This program is all about teaching, not internationalization, and they take good care of you, but it doesn't pay as well as JET but they take care of your housing too.

teaching in korea is o.k. if you have connections...
    i taught there without a degree and was able to fight for a pretty good deal in the end...
    it sucks having to put so much effort for respect...

Thats why i applied for Jet... cause it makes it easier, cause Japan is richer,

but failing Jet, what would be some of the better options?
    especially when the obstacles of needing 2500$ in savings plus a one year return ticket, which make it almost impossible for your average bloke to go job shopping at leisure there....
    so far, i here daves esl caffee is good, Nova is good to burn and run on,Earlham College and Westgate
    by the way, Alex_x do the latter accept canadians since they are american schools? and cheers for the great leads so far...
    also, Grail, what does Mae ni atta koto aru mean...?
    8)

Ok. Here is the offical site for Earlham Collge: http://www.earlham.edu/~aet/

Some of the benefits: Housing is taken care of for you, you make as much as first year Japanese teachers do, and the flight to Japan is paid for too. You get the national health insurance.

(This is what my friend told me) What they have that JET doesn't: they have a good support group. You meet once a month or so (can't remember what my friend said exactly) and they really work at getting you adjusted to living there. You also get a living stipend.

It doesn't say you have to be from the USA, but like JET you need at least a BA and be a native speaker of English. So...I think that Canadians with BA's would qualify. You can always call and ask. They are very friendly and helpful.

Thanks Alex for all the info!

Sigh, the thing that gets me down is just the thought of going through all the application processes again.

It was a long time ago but I think getting into UNIVERSITY took less time than finding out about JET!

Quote Originally Posted by Cartersparkles
    It was a long time ago but I think getting into UNIVERSITY took less time than finding out about JET!
    I did Early Action, so I sent my University application in around October-ish, I think and heard back mid-december. Of course I didn't really have any anxiety about getting in, since my scores and such were well above the school's norm.

Quote Originally Posted by littleg
    Grail, what does Mae ni atta koto aru mean...?
    8)
    Roughly means "Don't I know you from somewhere?"
    Awww... you look like you need a hug! \(^^)/

thanks grail, and Alex_X...
    anyone heard of ECC? as an alternative programme? i saw it on another post...
    waiting for Jet is waaay longer then Uni...
    doesn't compare i'd say...
    still no news in montreal...
    is there a maximum of time to wait before i freak out and break into post canada, and rummage for my letter?

Thanks for all the info...I am thinking about Westgate and a whole bunch of smaller private schools I found on daveseslcafe. I was thinking about Nova too but I heard too many bad things about them.

Also I agree with the Korea thing...one of the instructors during my TEFL courses had a bad experience there and I heard it isn't great to teach there. Right now I am, of course, considering Japan but also Taiwan.

I haven't been officially rejected yet but I am not too optimistic at this point...still haven't received a response even though others in my city have already received positive results through e-mail.

I'm in the same (not rejected but no email boat also). I have one question about some of these private ESL places in Japan. Many of them require you to have a degree in order to apply for them. I will be graduating in the middle of May, and I am wondering if I am still eligable to apply or if I have to wait until I have my degree. Also, some say you need a BA in something, but my degree is a BS. Can I still apply, or is the BS thing a problem?

omega, the reason most require a BA (or BSc) is because you need one in order to get a visa so as long as you have something from a university, it should be fine.

I think a lot of people do just that. Apply for an eikawa school, head into Japan and sort things there. It's definitely a good idea as it is easier to find opportunities once you're actually in Japan. Though I am currently a JET, I came across this book that I recommended to my friends who couldn't get into JET but who wants to teach in Japan. It's a great reference for teaching in Japan. You can check it out here.