Thread: "Living quarters" - Situation and pricing, etc.

Default "Living quarters" - Situation and pricing, etc.

Does anybody know if JET will find a larger/smaller apartment for you depending on if you are coming alone, or with spouse, etc? Because if they find a larger apartment for two people, when a smaller apartment is just fine for them, it would be annoying having to just pay more money for something that you don't need. How do they go about doing all of that stuff, and can you make requests about your living arrangements, etc?

I'm going to beat dob to the punch here... ESIFD.

So simmer down and wait 'til you hear about your placement. If you are lucky, that could be in May or early June. If you are not, that could be laye June or early July. It's a godawful, painful wait, but unfortunately you can't do anything in the meantime.
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ESI... Hey! :evil:
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Ok, is there a place where I can figure out all of these acronyms? I've picked up on a lot of them, but some of them I just can't figure out. ESIFD? Enough said is..... something something... maybe not...?

I was just wondering if anybody else had gone through the same experience, or what your thoughts were about it. Just kind of getting excited to know more. I'll simmer though..... Makes sense that there's not much I can do until I actually find out where I'm going. I was just kind of thinking that maybe it made a difference on placement or something like that. I guess not though, ne.

ESID = Every Situation Is Different

I am assuming the extra "F" is for "fvcking".

Haha 7hanks
    That F was kind of throwing me off. I thought it might mean that, but then the D.... Dumb? I was WAY off.

I don't know about if you can try to influence the apartment you get when you arrive, but you can move later, if you re-contract. The JET one town up from me has moved, and my supervisor has said its fine for me to move as well (just in the process of finding a place etc). Just remeber ESID etc though...

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    I don't know about if you can try to influence the apartment you get when you arrive, but you can move later, if you re-contract.
    Not necessarily! It depends entirely on where you are and who you work for! It really is ESIFD. Chances are you will be able to move, so don't stress about it, but it may be really awkward.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

VIP

If your other half is not a JET, I would rate their chances of taking them into account when allotting you housing between 1% and 0%. On the bright side, most JETs I know live in apartments that most Japanese would squeeze a family of 4 into, so don't sweat too much. I have two rooms I don't know what to do with, so I just dump stuff (or guests) in them.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!