Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oral contraceptives

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Default oral contraceptives

can anyone point me to a thread (i'm sure there'll be one) about the contraceptive pill in japan? 10 years ago i couldn't get it and was allowed to take a year's supply with me, but now i've heard you can only take a month's worth and have to have it sent out each month. i can bring a prescription, but what i really want to know is if phasal pills (i.e. different doses of hormones at different weeks) are available there. the one i want is marketed here as triquilar, but is also known as triphasal. any advice much appreciated.

I also have the same concern...

I was told to refer to the japanese ministry of health and welfare's website on drug importations... found out I could only bring 2 months supply with me... I know I could not get the kind of contraceptive pill I am using in Japan (a specialized one) and on the website it is written that if you need to import more than 2 months supply medication, you have to contact miniytsry of health and welfare's office at the airport where you plan to arrive... that seems like a lot of trouble!

I think I will just ask my mom to mail me 2 months supply every two months ahaaha

Anyone has been through that kind of process?

Default make friends at the ministry

Quote Originally Posted by AoiMe
    I also have the same concern...

I was told to refer to the japanese ministry of health and welfare's website on drug importations... found out I could only bring 2 months supply with me... I know I could not get the kind of contraceptive pill I am using in Japan (a specialized one) and on the website it is written that if you need to import more than 2 months supply medication, you have to contact miniytsry of health and welfare's office at the airport where you plan to arrive... that seems like a lot of trouble!

I think I will just ask my mom to mail me 2 months supply every two months ahaaha

I have! Not for bringing in The Pill, but for another medicines. It was pretty weird, because when I went through the line they looked at my passport and said, "You have something for us..." It briefly looked like the whole deal was going to go South because they had the brand name and the bottle had the actual name of the medine (or vice versa, whatever) but eventually that was cleared up and I passed on through. I think I was bringing in a year's worth...or maybe half a year's, I don't remember.
    Having gone through all of the ministry contacting, when I went to live in China, I assumed a similar situation. I tried to talk to people at the consulate and they were like, 'whatever, it's fine.' And it was. Very different regulations...
    Yield to the willow/All the loathing,/All the desire of your heart. -Basho

Hmmmm... this is all news to me.
    My university in Canada told me to get a year's worth of any medications I might need and take it with me. They never even mentioned checking with the ministry of health!! 8O Tsk, tsk. Figures. They knew nothing! Good thing I wasn't stopped at customs! I just went right in with a year's worth of stuff!
    Xiaojie, how did they know you had meds with you?
    So basically, if you don't contact anyone, they're not going to check you at customs. Especially, from what I understand, if there are hundreds of JETs all leaving the airport at the same time.

Here's another query - what about emergency contraception? As far as I know, it doesn't seem to be available in Japan. Am I correct with this assumption? To think I can buy it over the counter here.....(I'd bring some, but I'd probably get arrested if its illegal....a girl can't be too careful sometimes....)

You know what I was told last year?
    Apparently the pill just became legal in Japan a few years back. 8O
    I have no idea if this is complete b.s. or not but it seems feasible seeing as how abortion is quite common.
    The guy told me that they didn't legalize it cause doctors could make much more money through abortions.
    Also, the whole danger of AIDs and STDs doesn't seem to be as big a concern as over here (as in, people don't worry about it---I'm not sure about the actual AIDs rate).

No, I don't think that's b.s. - I believe I've heard that as well.....Hmm....now I wonder what the abortion rate is? I have a minor in women's studies, so I look forward to learning all sorts of things in Japan...That makes me believe that emergency contraception is most likely not available....

Default god bless the efing FDA

Quote Originally Posted by Cartersparkles
    Hmmmm... this is all news to me.
    My university in Canada told me to get a year's worth of any medications I might need and take it with me. They never even mentioned checking with the ministry of health!! 8O Tsk, tsk. Figures. They knew nothing! Good thing I wasn't stopped at customs! I just went right in with a year's worth of stuff!
    Xiaojie, how did they know you had meds with you?
    So basically, if you don't contact anyone, they're not going to check you at customs. Especially, from what I understand, if there are hundreds of JETs all leaving the airport at the same time.
    They knew because I had gone through the whole ordeal of contacting the ministry and getting a doctor's letter and so forth. Despite that, I was surprised that they knew right then at the check point. My dad was heavily involved in helping me work it all out as I was just 19 and still on his insurance, etc. To me, the prospect of having the medication confiscated or whatever was too much of a risk since not having the meds would have been a real problem. Also, the situation was compounded by the nature of the medication - it had additional controls even in the US.

Default PLAN B=Mizuko Jizu

OE - Thanks for that second link! I like to be prepared - I don't like the pill, so I need to consider the "worst-case scenario" options!

Quote Originally Posted by Cartersparkles
    The guy told me that they didn't legalize it cause doctors could make much more money through abortions.
    Not really, abortions are illegal in Japan. Its a fucked up situation, but the only way to get an abortion is illegally, back-alley style. Plus you get the privelage of shelling out 2000-3000 dollars for the ordeal down in osaka.

or so ive heard....

Quote Originally Posted by ashleep
    OE - Thanks for that second link! I like to be prepared - I don't like the pill, so I need to consider the "worst-case scenario" options!
    worst case scenario sees you giving birth to the child of a 50 year old, philandering japanese businessman with dubious personal hygiene.

To make life worse, Japanese condoms aren't designed for gaijin useage and dont tend to fit on anything bigger than a koalas dick.

you've been warned.

yabighoor

when you get to Japan with the JET crowd you will be waved through customs so just take what you want and act stupid if they stop you (which they won't).

For the ladies who don't want to bring the pill ask your doctor about the contraceptive implant. It's called organon and is good for 3 years.

http://www.organon.com/authfiles/sea...Search+results

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Thanks everyone, I feel better about the whole situation now. I'm going to take a letter from my doctor (translated into japanese) and a year's supply. This is what I did last time (1994) when the pill was illegal in Japan except for "extreme gynaegological problems", which is why I was on it! I don't want to take the risk that I can't get the right kind as the wrong ones make my life hell!
    Good luck to the rest of you... as if anyone would make any money selling the pill on the black market anyway. Ridiculous!

Ok. The pill is legal here. That said, it costs around $200 for a one month supply. That is assuming the doctor will prescribe it. Beware that the pill that is available is a high dosage one, with associated side effects.

I've never heard of plan b being available.

I took a good supply with me and my mum has mailed some to me since with no troubles.

I don't know about the legality of abortion here, but it is rather common as far as I know.

Condoms do come in Gaijin size but they are hard to find.

Be very careful about STDs. I asked a Japanese friend if she used condoms and she was horrified that I thought she might be a "dirty" girl. There is a real stigma associated with their use. Alas, this is combined with a high level of ignorance (they don't even try to teach about it at school here).

I would advise to bring your own condoms and never have sex without them. That's pretty much common sense everywhere, but in a country with an unwillingness to face the possibility of problems, it's an even more risky thing.

They most likely won't check you in customs, so take the whole lot and plead ignorance iffin you're caught. But do make sure you have a prescription with you.

Hope that helps.

KN
    oiuyniyu98h987h89yh87y98yjn987j987y897yhkiuk;''''

sorry.. there was a spider on my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by yabighoor
    when you get to Japan with the JET crowd you will be waved through customs so just take what you want and act stupid if they stop you (which they won't).

For the ladies who don't want to bring the pill ask your doctor about the contraceptive implant. It's called organon and is good for 3 years.

http://www.organon.com/authfiles/sea...Search+results
    Well, I am actually not taking my pill for the contraceptive effect, but for an other concern and I know that this one is not available in Japan, so that's why I have to bring a supply with me. It would also be very frustrating if my pills get confiscated at the customs because I won't be under my parent's insurance anymore and I'll have to pay the full price for those pills... I guess I will get a note from my doctor and try to ask Jet coordinator about the right thing to do...

Pandilex

Just bring them. There's a 0.1% chance you'll be checked, and if you are, a 0.1% chance they'll stop you. So don't fret.

It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Implant?! Whoa...a little too much work and risk if you ask me. I think it would be safer and more economical if you take the shot. I think it lasts a year. Or...what I think is the best thing since sliced bread: Nuva Ring. Lasts 30 days, you only have to muck with it one day out of the month, it is safer for your body (less hormones) and is very cheap if you get it through college pharmacies.

I didn't learn about this whole one month supply thing until AFTER I aleady bought a year's supply. :evil: I don't want to go through the hassel of filling out the form, and I've heard of people filling out this form and finding that all of the teachers in their school passed it around in the office to look at and knew what they were taking (embarassing). I don't want to go through that. Since it isn't legalized in Japan yet, most Japanese probably wouldn't know what it is if they saw it.

So...I'm taking them out of the package and into a baggie for my carry on. If they do look through my stuff, which I doubt, they wouldn't recognize it as meds anyways. :wink:

If you have pills, I've heard of people distributing them throughout their luggage, or putting them in "mint" containers.

Quote Originally Posted by AoiMe

I use the patch because I can't remember to take the pill every day. Unfortunately, it's not available here either and I didn't get the paperwork sent off in time to bring it all with me. So my mom just mails me a a set every so often. I don't really know how big of a pain that'd be with pills, but it's super easy with the patch because they just fit inside a standard greeting card. No muss, no fuss.
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Default Even the Ringu - true story

A standard greeting card!
    Hey, a word about that infallible ring...I first heard about it when a friend of mine was bragging about how great it was, how superior it was to all other forms of b.c. Flash forward a few months....she was pregnant with twins!!! I mean, that kind of thing can happen on any kind of b.c. but that's the point...