Thread: Bringing teaching supplies?

Default Bringing teaching supplies?

Hello! This is a question for all current JETs - Did you bring any teaching supplies with you to Japan? Of course, I understand that you'd follow the curriculum as determined by the school, but are there any further resources you can recommend? Thanks!

VIP

Bring as much crap that is related to your country as you can fit in your baggage. Flag (big is better), local currency, stickers, photos of tourist sites, family/house photos, anything cute, anything you can talk about.

Don't bother with standard teaching materials. Just bring stuff you can't buy/make over here.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Stuff from home is really good.

Do not bring books though (especially the grammar sort).

The best thing I brought with me was probably stickers. The standard teacher sort with things like "Wow!" and "Excellent!" written on them go over really well here.
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia
    Stuff from home is really good.

Do not bring books though (especially the grammar sort).

The best thing I brought with me was probably stickers. The standard teacher sort with things like "Wow!" and "Excellent!" written on them go over really well here.
    Why not grammar books?

my grammar textbook from uni was high on my list of things to take.

hahahahaha, yeah that'll come in real handy when your job consists of standing around twiddling your thumbs for 50 minutes, occasionaly saying "Hello, I am Yuki. Nice to meet you. Hi, I'm Andy, Nice to meet you too" and other classic lines from the textbook.

VIP

@dombay: Not to rain on your parade, but i brought my favourite grammar book too. It sits on my desk at school, and i occasionally use it to win grammar nazi contests online. If the kids will say or write ANYTHING, there is no way im going to pull them up on their grammar. Its much more important to get them talking. Oh, and as my English slowly deteriorates, i sometimes use it for my own benefit.

Also, your only chance to be a "teacher" is at elementary school, where you will "teach" colours, numbers, animals, numbers, animals, colours, animals, colours, colours, colours, coloured animals, numbers of animals, oh, and not forgetting the ever popular body parts.

Use that weight allowance to bring a nice bag of aussie coins and notes, a couple of boomarangs, a mini-digeridoo, and anything else cliched, cause they will lap it up.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Thanks for the info - I already plan to bring a lot of ridiculous Canadian memorabilia (in my interview I stated I'd bring a Canadian flag and maple syrup....maple syrup? Fuck....well, where I work, we do sell maple lollipops, that might go over well....)

Yes, was more curious to know about grammar books. I might bring one, just in case. (and as Dynamis says, it might help ME, more than anyone...)

If you know what level of school you are going to be teaching at before you leave, try to bring some items related to the school you attended in your home country. Like a yearbook, or scans of a yearbook, photos of the school, etc. A lot of my students are interested in school life in my country, and sometimes that stuff is hard to get once you are in Japan.

I also brought a few children's books to use in elementary school. That was unnecessary, though, because you can get tons of English books from Amazon.com Japan and from various city bookstores. Your contracting organization will even pay for them too, woot!

Quote Originally Posted by ashleep
    Thanks for the info - I already plan to bring a lot of ridiculous Canadian memorabilia (in my interview I stated I'd bring a Canadian flag and maple syrup....maple syrup? Fuck....well, where I work, we do sell maple lollipops, that might go over well....)
    The maple lollipops are great in theory, but most schools don't allow students to have candy. Bring stickers instead!
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamis
    @dombay: Not to rain on your parade, but i brought my favourite grammar book too. It sits on my desk at school, and i occasionally use it to win grammar nazi contests online. If the kids will say or write ANYTHING, there is no way im going to pull them up on their grammar. Its much more important to get them talking. Oh, and as my English slowly deteriorates, i sometimes use it for my own benefit.
    I brought not one, but two grammar books with me. They're looking mighty dusty these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia
    The maple lollipops are great in theory, but most schools don't allow students to have candy. Bring stickers instead!
    Don't let the bastards keep you down. I was told I couldnt give out sweets at elementary school but I do it all the time. Until one of them has a adverse reaction and dies I will continue to do so.

I think I'll still bring the lollipops. They might be useful at some point. (perhaps not at school - can you imagine a bunch of kids, hopped up on maple candy? That's dreadfully scary...)

Ooh...maple flavored stickers? No, scratch and sniff maple stickers. (don't know if such a thing exists, but it's kinda funny to think about....)

Who needs grammar books when you've got stickers!!!

Who needs grammar books when you've got stickers!!!
    If I didn't know better, I'd say you'd been here already.

Thanks Cynthia!

Do they have smarties in Japan?

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Astrix
    Do they have smarties in Japan?
    Not that Ive seen yet!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamis

Also, your only chance to be a "teacher" is at elementary school, where you will "teach" colours, numbers, animals, numbers, animals, colours, animals, colours, colours, colours, coloured animals, numbers of animals, oh, and not forgetting the ever popular body parts.

Use that weight allowance to bring a nice bag of aussie coins and notes, a couple of boomarangs, a mini-digeridoo, and anything else cliched, cause they will lap it up.

Matt
    Wow, I guess my question answered itself before it was even asked.

We were told on our first day of my education degree 'learn grammar because if you ever teach in Asia the students will know it better than you'. I have a traditional grammar exam this evening and I know my grammar back to front, with that advice in mind.

Bastards.

ETA: My Chinese students and just generally Chinese people in the street were fascinated by an Aussie 5 and an Aussie 50 I happened to have in my wallet. They are all colourful and plastic and have clear windows in the corner.

I guess they fascinated me at first too.

So in terms of pictures, I'm wondering if I should print a whole bunch or just bring them on my laptop. I know ESIFD but has anyone had the opportunity to use their laptop for powerpoint or other presentations?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Jesus Christ what is wrong with people today.

Don't waste time, your money, and your baggage allowance on pictures if you have them on a cd/laptop.
    Bring them here then print them off. If your school will allow it you can do powerpoint presentations with stripping nuns and the entire cast of Rent if you want to.

But Innnniiiii (whine, whine), what if I'm way out in the boonies with no place to get my pictures printed? Huh? Huh? What then?? :P What if they don't have electricity there?