Thread: When do we have to send proof of degree? [AUT strike in UK]

Default When do we have to send proof of degree? (AUT strike in UK)

I've just had a though. The AUT is striking in the UK, it's members are not marking any exams or coursework due to a pay dispute, and it's thought this might lead to people recieveing their degree late. (Possibly very late as the dispute seems pretty bitter.)

So when do we have to get a copy of our degree certificate in by? I mean I'm hoping it's not too big a problem but I'm thinking I'll have to go to the head of school about this.

Anyone else in the UK thinking about this?

EDIT: I've been looking on the JET UK site and I can't find any infor at all... Have I imagined the fact we need to send a copy of the certificate? Was the letter included in the application saying I was going to graduate enough?

Pandilex

the strike wont last long, you have to send it before july, you'll be fine

z.

Pandilex

Don't be noobs, they're not going to stop you going just because you don't graduate until July or whatever. Proof is enough. After you graduate you can photocopy your degree certificate and send it. I graduated July 14th which is when I got my certificate, the same day I was upgraded!

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    Don't be noobs, they're not going to stop you going just because you don't graduate until July or whatever. Proof is enough. After you graduate you can photocopy your degree certificate and send it. I graduated July 14th which is when I got my certificate, the same day I was upgraded!
    Hehe, this isn't a 'OHMYGODWHATDOIDO' topic - just trying to get the right information so I can do what needs to be done.

I'm scheduled to graduate July 14th, but may not be able to due to the marking strike. My department has issued a statement saying they don't know what's going to happen about graduation (hoping issue will be resolved) but if you are likely to be affected severely by a delay in graduation then to put it in writing to the head of school. I'm just checking when it has to be in by - seems to be end of July, so will need to get in touch with him. Tbh I'd encourage others to do the same - the wording of statements (by my uni anyway) looks like they might consider individual cases. Still hoping strike will be resolved, but got to be prepared in case it isn't.

Pandilex

The embassy will help you and be lenient in ANY circumstances provided you've been accepted. Just phone them in June and explain.

Seriously it's 4 months away, don't worry.

I had these thoughts, but.....
    Liverpool uni sent an email out a few weeks saying they will give us a degree based on 'all available marks' or if u want to wait for them to be marked this mite delay your graduation. So for me, it looks fine as im happy with the marks i have so far. That is of course worst case scenario....

They are having talks today - so it might be sorted out. But my uni seem quite negative about the whole thing. My geog department said they was a strong chance it could affect graduation. So it is still a worry for many, and this strike is ALOT worse then the one that occured a couple of years ago, so there is a need for concern.

Laters

Suk

z.

Pandilex - you also seemed 2 miss the point, its not the graduations its the fact they aint gonna mark it - so there may not be any proof of obtaining a degree, which u need for JET.

Secondly they need the proof u are gonna be graduated by july 1st i thought, which is about 2 months, not 4 months away as you say.

The strike doesnt seem like its going to budge whatsoever, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4983898.stm news from yesterday. Exams have already been cancelled, so its not as tho they were bluffing....

Even if the strikes are resolved, it doesn't neccessarily mean the work will have been marked. This could be work since March. This could take a while and delay the whole giving out grades etc. Add in exams to mark etc and the scale of this thing - thats a big task! Exams for some people dont finish till june. So the time - span is shortened even more.

Suk

Quote Originally Posted by Suk
    Pandilex - you also seemed 2 miss the point, its not the graduations its the fact they aint gonna mark it - so there may not be any proof of obtaining a degree, which u need for JET.

Secondly they need the proof u are gonna be graduated by july 1st i thought, which is about 2 months, not 4 months away as you say.

The strike doesnt seem like its going to budge whatsoever, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4983898.stm news from yesterday. Exams have already been cancelled, so its not as tho they were bluffing....

Even if the strikes are resolved, it doesn't neccessarily mean the work will have been marked. This could be work since March. This could take a while and delay the whole giving out grades etc. Add in exams to mark etc and the scale of this thing - thats a big task! Exams for some people dont finish till june. So the time - span is shortened even more.

Suk
    Take it all with a pinch of salt. Everyone was saying the same thing last year and the year before and it all got sorted out last minute, we graduated fine and felt a bit stupid for getting so worried.

Don't forget they've marked all your work and have your results, they're just threatening to withold them. Exams always end up going ahead as planned too.

Yeah i know, i remember the strikes of 2004 which were pretty lame.
    The difference is, these strikes aint finished, and not looking to be for ages whereas in them years they stopped before exams.(ie may)
    Its now exam period for us, exams have been cancelled - so things arent going to plan at all.
    I always thought it would sort itself out- but from the meetings ive had this week its looking unlikely.
    And although some lecturers have marked the work, i know one tosspot of a lecturer who i have who aint even looking at the coursework untill the strikes are resolved.

I aint arsed personally as our uni will let us graduate if it does go tits up, but these strikes are worse then ones in previous years so the attitude i had myself of, 'oh it will work out, it always does, same shit, different year' doesnt really hold.

*bump*

What's the latest? Been reading about it. Sounds shithouse.

bloody is shithouse... depends on the uni tho. my uni (Manchester Met) has decided to award degrees, but without classifications (until the strike is resolved). according to JET, this is ok... they just need proof of a degree, regardless of classification, so I just need to take a letter from the uni stating that I've got a degree.
    some unis are doing their own thing tho...
    J

My Uni (Stirling) is awarding degrees based on our previous grades from third and fourth year (subject to approval) which we should hear about around the 16th of this month. This is a bit of a pain in the arse cos it makes you think what was the point in bothering with the dissertation in the first place?

Durham unis a pile of wank.
    According to them they are going to, "postpone the Final Honours examinations board which was due to meet on Friday 9 June. A new date for the board meeting will be set when the dispute is resolved."

Considering the dispute has been going on since Febuary and they've just rejected the last offer, things are looking pretty cacky.

i'm the same as junky... should get an unclassed degree.

scott and raze that really sucks!! especially you raze...have you spoken to anyone about it?? you really need to get your union to start kicking off!!

uuuuuuuuuuuuurgh...this is hideous! i wonder if JET would allow you to have a place next year without going through the interview process again?? It pisses me off that we paid our fees but they're still willing to fuck up our futures and use us a pawns. grrrrrr :twisted:

scott...is there any chance they will change your degree class afterwards taking the other work into account??

Hey, I don't really know to be honest. I think if they give you higher than you are actually due they can't take it off you. If you are due higher than they gave you then you can request your updated degree later on. At least that's what I think they said!