Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hokkaido: The Greatest Prefecture Known to Man

Default Hokkaido: The Greatest Prefecture Known to Man

Anyone else heading up to Hokkaido or presently there?

I know virtually nothing about this area of Japan and I got stuck in some tiny town...

What to do, what to do?

I'm a little scared...someone comfort me with good news.

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Default Re: Hokkaido

Quote Originally Posted by pegcityone
    I'm a little scared...someone comfort me with good news.
    Youre one of the few who got into JET...there are many people who would love to be in your place!

Do you snowboard or ski? Ive never been to Hokkaido but the other JET that lives in my town has taken winter trips up there and he says it is some of the best snow in the world to board on...so you have that to look forward to...also youll have central heating and decent insulation (so im lead to believe) which is sorely missing throughout the rest of the country...
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

OP - CaptainCharisma is going out there, and he's from Toronto. ^_^

Pegcityone, I lived in Hokkaido for a year. Which town are you going to?

Here's what I can tell you right now: even though you're from Canada, you have never seen as much snow as you'll see there.

Yo,
    I live here in Hokkaido. Definitely the best placement one could hope for, no matter what your interests are (unless your interests revolve around surfing - the surf's terrible here).
    Message me if you have any questions.
    Also, you may like to have a peek at www.hajet.org
    -Sam

That's my dream placement... unfortunately, I'm stuck in alt. status. You'll have great snow, excellent seafood, and hot springs with monkeys to play with!

Hokkaido?? You lucky cvnt!!! I love Hokkaido!!! Sapporo rocks, and there are some great resorts with awesome powder for boarding. People are friendly. Oh, and not many bugs coz it's not so damn humid in the summer. Central heating and insulation exist so winter is bearable. The snow festival is great, and the hot beer is so tasty (kinda like mulled wine.) Shall I go on??
    I wish it wasn't so damn expensive to get to Hokkaido from friggin' Kyushu. Kyushu sucks arse big time compared to Hokkaido....
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

Hello,

I got accepted, i will be in Hokkaido, shimokawa. I am worried and excited about it.

Hokkaido bound as well! I can't believe I'm leaving Canada for more snow!!!! Ah well, looks like I can pick up skiing again! (which I've abandoned for many years...) Oh and to think I planned on leaving my huge snowboots behind...ha! Looks like they're coming with me!!!

Yes, I've been placed in Higashikawa....fuck...I don't even know the population. Sounds super beautiful though....and they have this photography contest (I'm huge into photography...hmm...maybe they did listen to me in my interview!!!)

ANYWAY....if anyone knows ANYTHING about Higashikawa, please PM me! I'm happy to hear that others are also Hokkaido-bound!!! (well, naturally....)

Oh the shock.....

It's more the isolation from the mainland...combined with the fact my Japanese is poor and I'm living in a town with (probably) no other english speakers, that really concerns me.

Meh.

PCO

Hi guys,

I just found out that I'm headed for Hokkaido too. I'v been placed in Egaru town. Does anyone know anything about this place? I'd be really grateful if anyone has any info.

Thanks

Hometown of The Riddler, Darth Vader, and Austin Powers

So what's the deal with sending Canadians to Hokkaido? I'm happy to get my first choice, but I heard that a lot of Canucks are gonna be there/already there. What, do they think we're keen on snow or something?

And yeah, I was told too that most likely there would be centralized heating up there. How close it is to the truth, we'll see.
    got charisma?

No, chances are your heating will come from a gas stove...
    I'm one of the lucky ones with insulation, but there are a lot of JETs who live in shacks with walls not much thicker than cardboard!
    But those stoves do put off a lot of heat, so you'll be fine...

I'm doing this on BD too, but if you're CB from Hokkaido, originally from a state bordering Canada, and takes a lot of pictures, PM me. Sorry, I can't wait a week.
    got charisma?

Headed for Hokkaido as well. They didn't tell me where though. Does this mean I could be hopping from school to school? Living in super-inaka? I'm mildly confused as to the Prefectural ALT deal.

Guess I'll just have to wait till my pred of CO get in contact with me to find out where I'm actually going.
    One time... I was fishing for tadpoles in the woods... and a bear came over and offered me a drink of his soda. I declined politely... but to this day I still wonder what Tab tastes like...

Hmmmm... as a Canadian, I'm getting nervous of being placed way the hell out in the middle of nowhere in Hokkaido. I lived there and travelled around and I have only heard of ONE of the places mentioned on this thread!! And like Sam said, don't believe that central heating/insulated homes myth. It is not what you consider insulation.

That being said, the nature of the island is so much like Canada. I bought postcards from all over the island but the pictures looked exactly like the West Coast or the Maritimes so I never sent any home.
    So, Hokkaido=beautiful, untarnished nature.

The downside is that yeah, it's damn far from the rest of Japan and it's expensive to get down unless you take the 24 hour ferry to Tokyo or the 18 hour (?) down to the western side (where the snow belt is) of Honshu.

I'm starting to love my placement! I'm ridiculously close to a big city, so I'm not too worried about isolation! Yes, Hokkaido is far from the rest of Japan, but there's always a plane, ferry, train or bus. (and hopefully, since we're all living in small towns, we'll have enough money to travel!)

That's the spirit.

Now give me some consolation...I'M AT LEAST 3 HOURS AWAY FROM SAPPORO!!! Oh wait, my house will have a view of the Pacific Ocean. Never mind.
    got charisma?

Captain Charisma, are you near Otaru though?

CC - hey, that's right - you have ocean! Now, I'm jealous! Just kidding...

I joined the Hokkaido JETs group - anyone else join? I may as well "meet" people before I arrive - plus any advice about Hokkaido is welcome!!

Come on Cartersparkles - deep down, you really want to be in Hokkaido with the rest of us Canadians!!! ;-)