Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Not Want

Default Do Not Want

I went to my gargantuan hick town's web site, and most of it is devoted to bragging about high school sports. Wow. That does not bode well. There is also a great deal of the "we are closely integrated with nature" spiel, complete with photographs. It looks like Ohio.

If there are any alternates still here, I may make one of you very happy pretty soon.

You're going to say no for sure?

Where were you hoping to get placed?

Seriously?! You're going to be one of those people? You wanted to go live and work in Japan....but only if you were where, Kyoto? Get over yourself. Dollars to dango you end up loving your placement. Give it a shot. If you don't, I'll help you find a meat-grinder eikaiwa job in Osaka.

I don't understand, tell me again what's wrong with sports and nature?

Maybe you could start a cheer leading squad you great NAMBY!

Let him do what he wants. I don't wanna be cynical but he should've expected that kind of placement if he was applying to the JET Program. You can't expect to be placed in an urban area, it just not likely. Anyway, there are a whole mess of alternates waiting for a chance, so give it to them. I sympathize with them since I was one of them not too long ago.

I seem to be seeing more of this than I expected... I mean, wtf?

Edit: This is supposed to be read "WTF is wrong with people, stop moaning about how unfair your placement is and how your town is awful". I did NOT mean "WTF is wrong with JET for not catering to the every whim of their applicants," as some people seem to think.

I specified a primary, secondary and tertiary placement request for

Kasugai-shi, Aichi-ken
    Nagoya-shi, Aichi-ken
    Aichi-ken

in that order, and requested "suburban" placement. I felt I justified my placement request quite well, and nailed my interview.

You know what I got?

Shibushi-shi, Kagoshima-ken.

I can barely get any further away from Nagoya and Aichi-ken without going to Okinawa (In fact, I'm closer to Okinawa). I'm pretty sure that the town is fairly small (it was amalgamated with nearby towns recently, which means that until this year it was pretty small, and even now it seems to be ~35,000 people. I hate hot weather, and I'm practically in the tropics. I'm nowhere near any of my friends or acquaintances in Japan. I'm worried I will have trouble with the accent (I was banking on being able to understand people from the get-go).

But you know what? I'm looking forward to it. I'm nervous as hell, but I'm excited, too. And not because I think that everything's going to work out magically, or that I'm under the illusion that I will have the most satisfying job ever or that Japan is magic fairyland.

I'm looking forward to it because it will be NOTHING like I have experienced before. For better or worse, it will be a completely new experience.

I honestly don't understand these people who get all huffy about being waitlisted, or not getting their placement request. We were all well-informed that our placements were not guaranteed. The JET Program doesn't exist to give us an easy life in Japan and a way out of responsibility. It exists for the purpose (however ineffective it may be) of bettering the Japanese education system with respect to English teaching.

I'm just saying, if you don't like your placement, fine. You're not obligated to accept the job. But don't get all huffy and insult your town just because you didn't everything you asked for (and were told you weren't likely to get in the first place). Make the best of it, and for god's sake LIVE a little. You might find you like it...

Amen brother.

VIP

Its for the best. People incapable of accepting and dealing with stuff thats unexpected, or they dont want/like will never make it in Japan. Take your attitude and piss off to a boring job somewhere else, and let someone who's not scared of adventure come and enjoy your "hick" placement.
    Mabushiii!!!

wurd up orinthe
    8)

i agree with orinthe and dynamis. if you can't adapt, get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamis
    Take your attitude and piss off to a boring job somewhere else.
    Good to see this is a friendly board that is open to everyone. Flaming of any kind will not be tolerated

Quote Originally Posted by orinthe
    I specified a primary, secondary and tertiary placement request for

Kasugai-shi, Aichi-ken
    Nagoya-shi, Aichi-ken
    Aichi-ken

in that order, and requested "suburban" placement. I felt I justified my placement request quite well, and nailed my interview. You know what I got? Shibushi-shi, Kagoshima-ken.
    That's probably because you requested the same prefecture 3 times. Where are they going to place you if Aichi doesn't have a suitable spot for you, and you haven't made any other placement request? Somewhere completely random... such as Kagoshima.

If you would've chosen neighbouring prefectures for choice #2 and #3 instead of being picky about any specific city/town, you probably would've been given #2 or #3.

If you would've chosen neighbouring prefectures for choice #2 and #3 instead of being picky about any specific city/town, you probably would've been given #2 or #3.
    Perhaps, but, it's too late now. Anyway, there were other placements from my area to Aichi, so I have no idea why they couldn't have put me there.

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Perhaps, but, it's too late now. Anyway, there were other placements from my area to Aichi, so I have no idea why they couldn't have put me there.
    They probably had higher overall scores than you...either way congrats on getting in...glad to see you still have a good attitude even though you arent where you wanted to be...wish you the best!!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

I'm in the same boat. I requested Shizuoka as #1 and neighboring prefectures as 2 and 3. I ended up getting Miyagi and when I checked on the San Francisco JETs website there are people there who got Shiz that didn't even request it at all... Go figure. But as someone above said, we knew the placements weren't guaranteed. I'm a little worried about my placement but shit, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm super excited to be going and getting moreso as the days go on. Japan, here I come.

And to the OP.. seriously dude, you should withdraw. It sounds like you really had your heart set on Aichi and you probably won't have a good time. There's a ton of alternates that would give their right testicle (or ovary as the case may be) to be in your shoes. You should give them the opportunity they rightly deserve. You'll have a much easier time getting Aichi if you apply to NOVA or AEON.

VIP

Judging by the way paperwork is handled, i doubt your scores have anything to do with placement. If you make a good case for placement, the interview will mark your form with a recommendation. Otherwise you're straight into the lottery. I request Kinki, Kanto, or Chubu (or whatever) about 35% of japan, and i still didnt get it. But im as happy as a cat in the cream, so who cares?

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Me, i requested Shiz got Shiz and i'm chuffed to bits. But, i would have been happy anywhere cos i didn't think me getting the job was a foregone conclusion - i'd never be that over confident or cocky and i am just proud and happy to be accepted. i made it clear why i chose Shiz in the interview but emphasised that i'd go anywhere. it all worked out niiice man.

Quaggenzocker Don't worry, i'm sure the people in our town will be really nice and you will probably get treated really well. Either way, it's going to be an amazing experience, give it a go and see how you fair. If your worried about meeting other JETs i'm sure you will make friends with people in other towns, cities etc and you can have them over to yours, you really do have the best of both worlds. Chin up and give it a bash, i think you will be suprised and love it.

I agree with Orinthe. I got placed in Nagasaki, which is to the extreme west, while I requested placement in:

1) Kanagawa

2) Shizuoka

3) Yamanashi

[I asked previous JETs what areas were similar to the Tri-State area, etc...plus, one former JET made the Mt. Fuji area seem AMAZING and she had such a great experience].

In my interview, I talked a lot about similarities to the area I grew up in [PA].

I wound up getting placed in an area that will be very similar to where I went to uni [FL] in summer, but you know what? I'm not complaining either.

I'm already thinking about all of the pros that will come from living in Nagasaki and all of the advantages that the area offers. I'm looking at the BEST--not at the WORST.

I want to go to experience Japan. That is one of the biggest things that make the JET Programme so exciting. You get to LIVE in a country and truly experience it...which you can never do if you go somewhere for vacation.

Do I have my fears about my placement? Of course! I'm concerned if the rumors about there still being radiation//cancer effects are true, but then I think...60 years later...it's not the same. I think...living near the U.S. Base won't be fun because I'm here to learn Japanese...what will I do with so many Westerners around?...but then I think, when culture shock sets in and I get homesick, it will be nice to be near other Westerners. I do that for everything. If you have a doubt, find an advantage. Create pros AND cons--don't focus on the cons and you'll be so much happier and have a better time when you get to Japan.

Well, that's my opinion anyway. :-)