Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do Not Want

Quote Originally Posted by orinthe

Shibushi-shi, Kagoshima-ken.

.... I'm pretty sure that the town is fairly small (it was amalgamated with nearby towns recently, which means that until this year it was pretty small, and even now it seems to be ~35,000 people.
    Shibushi's not so bad. Not too long a drive from Miyazaki or Miyakonojo. Gonna take you a couple hours to get to Kagoshima City I would think.
    I hate hot weather, and I'm practically in the tropics.
    Its only hot from June to September. Winter is freezing!!! literally. Snowed this year.
    I'm nowhere near any of my friends or acquaintances in Japan. I'm worried I will have trouble with the accent (I was banking on being able to understand people from the get-go).
    You won't have any problem with accent unless you plan on hanging out with 60+ year olds. Young people - no problems. Probably won't be able to tell the difference from Nagoya or whatever. Kagoshima and Miyazaki airports are pretty well connected for travelling. you can take a boat from shibushi to osaka if you like 12 hour ferries.

I'm looking forward to it because it will be NOTHING like I have experienced before.
    Most likely true. Shibushi is what I would call semi-inaka. no movie theatre but plenty to do.
    I honestly don't understand these people who get all huffy about being waitlisted, or not getting their placement request. We were all well-informed that our placements were not guaranteed. The JET Program doesn't exist to give us an easy life in Japan and a way out of responsibility. It exists for the purpose (however ineffective it may be) of bettering the Japanese education system with respect to English teaching.
    you're right.

don't get all huffy and insult your town just because you didn't everything you asked for (and were told you weren't likely to get in the first place). Make the best of it, and for god's sake LIVE a little. You might find you like it...
    'live a little' is the best advice yet.

Well aren't you all just so much friendlier than BD, so much more helpful, and let's not forget how insightful.

It didn't occur to anyone to remind Quaggenzocker that prefectural web sites are advertising forums that may not have anything to do with the day to day reality. What prefecture wouldn't want to claim they're close to nature and strong on school sports? Have you forgotten what country we're talking about here?

Hope you didn't hurt yourselves falling over one another in your bids to show how adaptable you are about not getting what you asked for. The OP wasn't bitching about that. Most of you read BD don't you? Familiar with the poster Britishchick?

OP if you're not trolling forget what the website says, do you believe your own country's tourist office blurbs? If you are trolling, and I suspect you are, nice job triggering amusingly self indulgent behaviour. With only one post, and the opening one at that? Nice.

:smt027

Quote Originally Posted by Kunoichisama
    Well aren't you all just so much friendlier than BD, so much more helpful, and let's not forget how insightful.

It didn't occur to anyone to remind Quaggenzocker that prefectural web sites are advertising forums that may not have anything to do with the day to day reality. What prefecture wouldn't want to claim they're close to nature and strong on school sports? Have you forgotten what country we're talking about here?
    Sorry, you lose. The OP made it clear that he was ignorant, inflexible and incredibly rude. Saying "hey maybe the website is lying, you should go ahead anyway" is not sound advice for this situation. If the OP had said something like "I went to this website and saw this, and it makes me a little worried... do you guys think it means it will be like such-and-such?" then you might have a point, but instead he slung insults and wore his prejudices on his sleeve. Chances are that wherever he goes, Japan or anywhere else, he will either be miserable himself or at least make everyone around him miserable.

I think that's going a bit far, love.

If nowhere else AFJ forum should be a place in which people are allowdto be ignorant and not get flamed.

Cos as someone else pointed out (albeit with really bad sarcasm) you cannot be ignorant or questioning on BD cos you'll get the shit flamed out of you.

==

I say this after being a bit of an arsehole to someone on one of the other forums.

ps ... what's ohio like then? Nice place?

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    If nowhere else AFJ forum should be a place in which people are allowdto be ignorant and not get flamed.
    I'll give you ignorant, but I still think the OP was very rude. But it happens... I'm not always incredibly polite myself.

Well... it depends entirely on where you live--trying to explain Ohio is kind of like trying to explain Aichi, I guess... the situation is completely different if you live in the middle of Nagoya than if you live out in the inaka. I guess this goes for any prefecture, though, so I'm not sure why I tried to offer advice on all of Iwate based on my experience in Towa. To generalize, though, I'd say that Ohio is a nice place, but can be very, very boring. Also, the weather is insanely mercurial. Let's just say that after 21 years, I'm glad to leave... but I'll probably miss it like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by kagoshimaexpert
    Its only hot from June to September. Winter is freezing!!! literally. Snowed this year.
    Based on the weather history from Yahoo! Japan, Kagoshima doesn't even dip below freezing! This sounds ridiculously hot to me... "literally freezing" is not really that cold... the fact that it is remarkable that it actually snowed says enough!

But, thank you very much for the information! I guess I'll pack my sweaters after all.

VIP

Cold in Japan is kind of different to civilized countries. It doesnt stay outside when you close the front door. It rudely barges inside, and makes itself at home for the entire winter.
    Mabushiii!!!

United Kingdom (England) -> Kagoshima-ken

I'm going to be somewhere in the wilds of Kagoshima-ken too. Looking forward to it

My cunning plan is to surface mail myself a box of Winter clothesies. The theory being that, after travelling across vast oceans by coracle, the box should arrive just in time for the colder weather...

It never dips below freezing in Sydney either. But it was bloody freezing the other day (it's winter here, obviously). I am going to die in Japanese winters, and I've got a southern placement.

This sounds ridiculously hot to me...
    ?? it doesnt really go more than a degree below freezing outside - but outside is not the problem - the problem is being able to see your breath inside the house. when you arrive it's going to be really hot through til about October though so don't worry too much about the sweaters quite yet.

?? it doesnt really go more than a degree below freezing outside - but outside is not the problem - the problem is being able to see your breath inside the house. when you arrive it's going to be really hot through til about October though so don't worry too much about the sweaters quite yet.
    About the cold: this is so true. I spent some time in a little village in Taiwan this last winter. It was only 47 F. outside, which isn't too bad, but it was easily 7 - 10 degrees cooler inside because the house was made of concrete and built in such a way as to trap cold air inside while venting warm air outside. I found myself going outside periodically just to warm up, which is so backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimalcrackers
    About the cold: this is so true. I spent some time in a little village in Taiwan this last winter. It was only 47 F. outside, which isn't too bad, but it was easily 7 - 10 degrees cooler inside because the house was made of concrete and built in such a way as to trap cold air inside while venting warm air outside. I found myself going outside periodically just to warm up, which is so backwards.
    I spent the winter in Taiwan too but I wouldn't say it was THAT cold. I stayed in the winter of 2005 when there were record lows. I would say with confidence that it is as cold outside as it is inside, especially due to the fact that they kept hte F#@N' windows open for "fresh air." It was really funny to see these people walking around INSIDE their homes in their winter coats complaining about how cold it was and THEN continue to leave the windows wide open. 8O The home I was staying in was concrete too but I wouldn't say that they are designed to keep cold air in, they are designed to ventilate.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

i lived in ohio for a few years, just outside of cleveland heights. i just remember it being humid with loads of allergies. downtown cleveland was sometimes cool. enjoyed the airshow and the shopping. there were TONS of snow in the winter. and i definately enjoyed going to cedar point.

I spent the winter in Taiwan too but I wouldn't say it was THAT cold. I stayed in the winter of 2005 when there were record lows. I would say with confidence that it is as cold outside as it is inside, especially due to the fact that they kept hte F#@N' windows open for "fresh air."
    In 2005, it got down to 42 F. in Taipei. The average temperature for Taiwan in January is 54 – 66 F, but it gets considerably colder in the mountains, which is where we were. Sometimes the highest areas even get snow. The house we stayed in was made of concrete and no insulation or shared walls with neighbors. In the living area, there were two inch gaps between the walls and the ceiling. There's no question that it was colder in there than it was outside.
    It was really funny to see these people walking around INSIDE their homes in their winter coats complaining about how cold it was and THEN continue to leave the windows wide open.
    No doubt. My gf’s family left the door wide open most of the time. It kind of irritated me at first, but then I figured, if it really is warmer out there, we should keep it wide open all day long.