Thread: Departure dates for alternates?

Default Departure dates for alternates?

I've lurked around here, but never posted anything, so first of all: hi.

I just have a tiny (but important) question. Does anyone know if alternates--especially those who haven't been upgraded yet--have different departure dates than short-listers? I remember reading something about a Group C, D, etc., but can't find anything about it now.

While making back-up plans, I've been offered a neat, free summer trip with education and teaching experience. It ends on August 17, so I'd miss the departure dates for Groups A and B. But if there's a later date for alternates--and, of course, if I'm miraculously upgraded between now and then--I might be able to pull off a really fast turn-around and hop on JET when I get back home. I have to make this decision within the next week, so any info or advice would be appreciated....

There is a Group C for alternates who are upgraded after a certain point. I'm not sure when this point is, but if I had to guess who to ask...it would be your coordinator.

If you are an alternate and get upgraded, it should tell you when your departure date will be either in the initial letter or one following shortly after.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Pandilex

I was upgraded, and my flight was August 15th.

I hear there was another flight around the 22nd too, but the majority of people went the 15th.

Thanks... it's good to know that I didn't just dream up the late arrival date thing. I'm definitely giving my coordinator a call on Monday to see if I can get specifics (although that seems to be something the JET program is allergic to).

And it looks like I'll be back in the states on August 13, so it might work out. I'd have the worst imaginable case of jet lag, though, since the program's in China. I'm not counting on JET to come through, but I'd prefer to keep the option available, because maybe....

If I find out the dates, I'll post them here, just in case if any other alternates are interested.