Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling around Japan and Asia

Default Travelling around Japan and Asia

Hi,

A few questions really regarding travelling. I understand that we JETs will receive holidays of course but does anyone know if you can save them up and take them in a block so that you can go travelling?? I know ESID will apply but just wondering... Also, if that is the case you have to get a re-entry stamp in passport right?

Have any UKers been back home during the first year at all? I have heard off someone I know who went on JET that she couldn't leave Japan for the first year.

And finally, I know we don't need any injections for Japan but did anybody have any for Asia in general, just in case you thought you could travel around??

Hope my post is clear! Thanks guys,

Lindsay

I have nothing useful to say except that if anyone plans a trip to south korea or china I want to come.

The distance between kyushu and south korea looks boatable actually.

Maybe I could make like Lord Byron and swim.

From what I can tell, and from common sense, you can do that sort of thing, BUT, make sure you give lots of notice and make sure that there aren't any other important school activities that happen around the time that you want to leave. Don't surprise your boss with vacation request, and try to accomodate the needs of the students.

Quote Originally Posted by johnj
    There is a ferry that runs from a port somewhere in southern honshu (forget exactly where) to Pusan, and it only takes a few hours. Seems like an easy way to travel to Korea for the weekend if you're located in southern honshu or kyushu.

VIP

Ive never heard of JETs unable to take their holidays consecutively. However, you may be refused permission to use your holidays during school time. Other than that, ESID. I can book a weeks holiday the night before i leave cause my sup is cool, but some have to give a month's notice. Most JETs get about 20 days per year, to take when we choose, but some get as few as 10, while others get more. Some also get school holidays off, while others have to warm their seat at the office/staffroom during school vacations.

You can go to Korea by ferry/hydrofoil from north kyushu and western honshu. However, Pusan is a pretty dead city imo, so you need to tack on 3 hours and about 4000 yen for the KTX ride to Seoul.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chibitotoro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj
    There is a ferry that runs from a port somewhere in southern honshu (forget exactly where) to Pusan, and it only takes a few hours. Seems like an easy way to travel to Korea for the weekend if you're located in southern honshu or kyushu.
    There's one that departs from Fukuoka too, I think.

Hometown of The Riddler, Darth Vader, and Austin Powers

Default Re: Travelling around Japan and Asia

Quote Originally Posted by Linz
    Hi,

A few questions really regarding travelling. I understand that we JETs will receive holidays of course but does anyone know if you can save them up and take them in a block so that you can go travelling?? I know ESID will apply but just wondering... Also, if that is the case you have to get a re-entry stamp in passport right?

Have any UKers been back home during the first year at all? I have heard off someone I know who went on JET that she couldn't leave Japan for the first year.

And finally, I know we don't need any injections for Japan but did anybody have any for Asia in general, just in case you thought you could travel around??

Hope my post is clear! Thanks guys,

Lindsay
    This might be one of those things that you just have to iron out with your supervisor when you get there. Ask your predecessor how it worked out for him/her. And yes, you have to get a re-entry thingamajig (is it a stamp?) if you ever plan on leaving Japan. There's a fee if you're only going away once, and a slightly more expensive one that's valid for a few months, unlimited. I think that's how it goes.

Are there any ferries that depart Hokkaido for the cold, cruel wasteland of Siberia? Sounds like a nice place for a vacation...
    got charisma?

Default Re: Travelling around Japan and Asia

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCharisma
    And yes, you have to get a re-entry thingamajig (is it a stamp?) if you ever plan on leaving Japan. There's a fee if you're only going away once, and a slightly more expensive one that's valid for a few months, unlimited. I think that's how it goes.
    It's a sticker in your passport and is valid for the length of your visa, i.e. 3 years.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I'm really up for exploring Korea!!

ooooooooh i can't wait!! It'd be nice to head out to saipan too But i guess i'm mostly looking forward to exploring Japan!! horay for the nightbuses and cheap travelling!!

I wanna go to Vladivostok in Russia just because.

OOh, that's exciting that there is a ferry from Kyushu to south Korea, its on my list of places I definitely want to see whilst I'm out in Japan, (along with most of the rest of Asia admittedly) but at least living in Kyushu means I can pop over several times even if not for long on each trip so I can see the place properly!

There are so many places that I want to visit while I'm over there... Korea, China, Taiwan, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc. It will probably be difficult to visit every single one of those countries (as well as make visits home) on the 15ish days of nenkyu that I'll be getting per year though. :cry: Hopefully I'll be able to save up enough of my salary to do a year or so long trek around all of Asia once my contract's up.
    the spiderman is having you for dinner tonight.

I want to head back to Hangzhou at least once where I lost my innocence repeatedly but other than I think it's a good opportunity to go to Europe.

Its a 24 hour flight from Sydney so to my thinking I'm halfway to Amsterdam.

z.

Quote Originally Posted by curstilace
    There are so many places that I want to visit while I'm over there... Korea, China, Taiwan, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc. It will probably be difficult to visit every single one of those countries (as well as make visits home) on the 15ish days of nenkyu that I'll be getting per year though. :cry: Hopefully I'll be able to save up enough of my salary to do a year or so long trek around all of Asia once my contract's up.
    Don't worry - so far, I've been to Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore (twice) and Malaysia (twice) and still have lots of nenkyu left. If you travel at the right times, you don't need to use that many holidays.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

visits home are for the WEAK!

Quote Originally Posted by tom82517
    Hey everyone-

Do you know if we get that sticker thing at the airport?
    Its called a re-entry permit. When I got mine I had to go to the city hall and it took a few days. It costs about 3000 yen for a single and 6000 yen for a multiple re-entry permit.

For more info: http://everyday.3yen.com/category/immigration/

Quote Originally Posted by paul_d
    I wanna go to Vladivostok in Russia just because.
    I looked into that a while back, but it`s actually very expensive to get there. Like, you can get to London for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Quote Originally Posted by curstilace
    Don't worry - so far, I've been to Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore (twice) and Malaysia (twice) and still have lots of nenkyu left. If you travel at the right times, you don't need to use that many holidays.
    I agree with Dob. I`ve managed to get toSouth Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and the Philippines as well as a trip back to the UK. That`s over 2 years, but with the same amount of nenkyu as everyone else, and I usually have a few days left over. You just have to make sure you plan your flights to include weekends and national holidays!

Thanks Dob and Dave! There's not really any one place that I'd like to visit... I want to go everywhere! But it's good to know that you have been able to visit so many countries on such a seemingly small amount of time. And even if I do get the chance to go to lots of places while on JET, I'd still like to take a year off afterward and just travel!

Btw, how are the airfares? And Dob, do you fly out of Hiroshima or Osaka?

And johnj, call me weak if you want, but I have a lot of friends and a huge (albeit very dysfunctional) family that I'll miss if I don't see them for a long time!
    the spiderman is having you for dinner tonight.