Thread: Sending passport

Default Sending passport

After what happened with Micahkun and then me with the express mail, I'm paranoid about sending my passport in the mail.

Anyone else?

I can't trust Purolator to get it there within a month (for a Courier Service, they are shockingly slow) so I guess I have to go Canada Post again.

How are you Canadians sending yours? In those Express Post envelopes? I don't know if those are considered registered mail (as they advised us to do). :?

Hi Carter - I think the Xpress post is registered mail - since you're able to track the mail and the recipient must sign for the package! I'm not feeling paranoid this time - I put way too much energy into the last delivery and for no good reason at all!

Hey Ashleep, with the Express Post last time, no one signed for the package. Do you have to pay extra for that option, I wonder? :? I'm just paranoid because it's the actual passport. Eeek!
    Did you already send it then?

Thankfully, I have the luxury of dropping off mine in person.

Yeah, I remember a recent email from the Chicago Consulate saying that the latest they needed our passports was July 25th. I'm planning on a little Chicago vaccation in July so I'll just drop it off then.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Unfortunately, I can't get down to my Consulate because it would be too expensive.

I just sent it off Express Post with the signature required.

I hope they don't deliver it during their lunch break or whatever because if no one's there to sign for it, then the Consulate has to go down to the Post Office to get it. I don't want to be even more bothersome than I have been with the e-mails I sent about the visa application!

You actually have to send in the passport? Ouch. The Seattle Consulate only needs photocopies...

Carter - Nope, haven't sent my forms or passport in yet - the Consulate emailed the form, but it's all gibberish!!! So, I need to get another copy emailed to me, or pick up a form in-person...we'll see....It's not due until June 23....I can always drop it off!

Quote Originally Posted by hitori
    You actually have to send in the passport? Ouch. The Seattle Consulate only needs photocopies...
    I may be talking out of my arse here, but I think they're going to eventually ask for your physical passport because (I understand) they need it to complete your working visa (maybe stamp it on one of the pages?). This is what I've heard, anyway, but maybe someone who's already there can verify this.

Yeah they need your actual passport to put a visa in it. At least that's what the Calgary Consulate tells me. Send it with Canada Post in an Xpress mail envelope with a tracking number & it'll be fine. You have to do this with all visas, I had to mail my passport for my French visa & my bro had to mail his for his Thai one. Don't send it regular mail though. If it's registered or Xpress with Canada Post you have a tracking number and can make sure it gets to its destination. After it gets to the Consulate/embassy, it's their job to give it to you and thus their problem if it gets misplaced. With a tracking number you have proof it arrived at its destination.