Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preds eh?

Default Preds eh?

So according to a really nice girl who lives in my city the reason that preds have not been making fast with those emails is that I have to email the school first who passes on my details to my pred who can then email me. This requires my 'welcome kit' from the BOE to come to me in Newtown from Yorishima, which is a long bloody way away. ESIFD of course but maybe there's a similiarly stupid reason for your pred's lack of emailing.

I think the US could learn a few things for their torture camps from Japanese bureaucracy.

So, who has heard from their Pred? Was it through sheer dodginess or does your board of education encourage people to talk to each other?

This is unrelated but do Australians say "eh" all the time too?

And no, I haven't heard anything from my Pred yet or my Contracting Organization. The consulate told me it could be anytime from now up until mid JULY. 8O

Hiroshima-ken BOE JETs will only find out details of their preds around mid-July at the earliest. They keep the list of new JETs locked away in a secret vault!

Edited to correct the month.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Hometown of The Riddler, Darth Vader, and Austin Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Cartersparkles
    We don't even say "eh". But pretty soon we're all gonna be saying "ne".

Seriously, this is the most ridiculous thing ever. Don't these people know how important it is for us to know where we're going and how our areas are going to be so we have enough time to prepare before leaving? For a culture that's so obsessed on being on time... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: (yeah i used 4 for a reason)
    got charisma?

Yes we say eh (but it's pronounced more like a 'aye' 'A' but not like the scottisch 'aye' which sounds like "I" and unlike the non-descript ethnic 'Eh?') who else says it? Of course we do in my part of my town, I dunno about Perth.

Other people already there tell me that the BOE has sent out our 'welcome kits' last week, so depending on Australia Post they should arrive soon, and then I will send an email to my pred (I am pretty sure I already know who he is but I don't want to get too annoying too soon).

Far too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCharisma
    We don't even say "eh". But pretty soon we're all gonna be saying "ne".

Seriously, this is the most ridiculous thing ever. Don't these people know how important it is for us to know where we're going and how our areas are going to be so we have enough time to prepare before leaving? For a culture that's so obsessed on being on time... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: (yeah i used 4 for a reason)
    Where are you from, love?

Captain Charisma, don't know whereabouts you are in Canada(haven't looked at your profile)--but out here on the West Coast, we say "Hey?" at the end of our sentences all the time instead of "eh?".

"It's so hot out, hey?"

I only noticed it when I was in Japan. Everyone (Americans) always pointed it out to me (read: made fun of me ). Then when I came back, I noticed that everyone was saying it.

But whenever I see Much, Matte Babel is ALWAYS saying "eh?" at the end of all his sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Hiroshima-ken BOE JETs will only find out details of their preds around mid-June at the earliest. They keep the list of new JETs locked away in a secret vault!
    That's a very useful, if utterly maddening, bit of information.

Got anything similar for Fukuoka-ken? Anyone in the know in Fukuoka know about how long I gotta wait?

Toronto kara desu. That's so funny because I've noticed duringm trips to the US that they say "eh" even more than we do. I have an (ex)uncle in NJ who says a variation of "eh" after every other sentence (can't spell it, but it's like a hybrid between "eh" and "huh").
    got charisma?

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Hiroshima-ken BOE JETs will only find out details of their preds around mid-June at the earliest. They keep the list of new JETs locked away in a secret vault!
    Sorry! I meant to write mid-July! Oops! ops:

- tired Dob
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Thanks that's a whole lot better
    got charisma?

Default not that i would, or anything...

I wonder what the motivation is for keeping it a secret...I mean it makes quite a difference as to what people pack and so forth. But mostly I wonder what kind of an impact it has on retention. It seems like some people will surely drop on the basis of an exchange with their pred, but wouldn't it be better to have that happen sooner rather than later? (And wouldn't they like those inclined to get out to do so sooner...) Or maybe not so many people drop after an exchange...I dunno. Just wondering.
    Yield to the willow/All the loathing,/All the desire of your heart. -Basho

Xiojie, that thought never crossed my mind actually. 8O

I guess I was just assuming that if the situation was really bad, the person would have already left long before the contract was up.

Hope no one hears any stories like the one of Faustus's friend!!

It was suggested to me that it was a secret partly because they arrange and re-arrange specific placements up to the last minute. They don't say anything so that they don't have to go back and say, "Oops... it looks like you won't be going to such-n-such school/village after all."

Default not exactly a fashionista

Xiojie, that thought never crossed my mind actually. 8O

I guess I was just assuming that if the situation was really bad, the person would have already left long before the contract was up.

Hope no one hears any stories like the one of Faustus's friend!!
    Well, I wasn't really thinking horror stories so much as, for example, someone with a general distaste for children learns that they will, in fact be performing "head, shoulders, knees & toes" at least once weekly... that sort of thing. I dunno, if someone was on the fence, it seems those details could send them over one way or the other.

As for the thing about changing the placements - I think I read that here somewhere - but I thought it was more applicable to the prefecturals?

Anyway, I want to know. I want some confirmation that I really won't have to drive...and also what to pack. Kohls is having a 90% off sale, you know...I've yet to live abroad without raiding a Kohl's clearance first.
    Yield to the willow/All the loathing,/All the desire of your heart. -Basho

Hate to break it to you but your pred's will be busy with there own lives trying to sort everything out before they leave. They have enough to do packing all their shit up, finding new jobs and places to live without having to email some cunt in idaho about remembering to pack their toothbrush and what color suit they should buy. If you get more than one brief email consider yourself lucky.

Ini, you're not recontracting, are you? I hope you continue to offer your kind encouragement even when you're back home.

Think about ini's poor replacement.

They'll have big shoes to fill at their school.

And given six months they'll probably be just as bitter and jaded.

I'm looking forward to it personally.

After that messy business with Jill Dando I'm no longer welcome back home. Never fear I'll be here to offer sound advice for years to come

lol, wow that jill dando joke was totally unexpected and once again Ini is king of comedy (though i think his title of king of angry rantingness may be challenged by Kipthereveng)e.

but he has a point. it's a lot of work to sort out moving from the country back to no job or house in some cases. at least u incoming JET's have a job and accomadation (well most of u) so don't stress about ur pred not contacting you.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com