Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any prefectural placements gotten a city or BOE yet?

Default Any prefectural placements gotten a city or BOE yet?

I haven't. The suspense is killing me.

Me too. I just feel sorry for those who won't know anything until a few weeks before they go. That would really suck. Some alternates will find out soon, but some won't. So I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, either. Hopefully, we'll find out before too long.

seriously. i'm dying here. hokkaido is a big freaking place. i mean, i could be way up in icy wakkanai or i could be in only-a-little-less-icy hakodate. argghh!!!!! i needs to know!!!
    One time... I was fishing for tadpoles in the woods... and a bear came over and offered me a drink of his soda. I declined politely... but to this day I still wonder what Tab tastes like...

I'm going to Saitama. A representative from the consulate I'm going through tells me that, since they have the highest number of JETs, they ostensibly are familiar with the process of negotiating with the local BOEs for prefectural JET placement, and therefore should notify me sooner than later. But that was just conjecture, and she was quick to make sure I understood it wasn't based on any past experience.

I haven't found out...but I know which cities I could end up in...

United Kingdom (England) -> Kagoshima-ken

Got an email from my prefecture yesterday saying I should hear by the middle of June...so more waiting I guess

I just got a copy of my contract in the mail today. It came in both English and Japanese, and was basically a carbon copy of the example contract found in the guidebook and other places.

While they apparently haven't finished arranging my living situation, they did tell me that my base school is going to be Okayama Prefecture Hosen Senior High School. They didn't even tell me what city it's in but, shockingly, the school has its own website. Its in south Okayama City, which I think is just fantastic. It's the center of most major transportation going through Okayama, close to the coast, a short ride from Shikoku.
    Unless they set up an apartment for us way out in the sticks I think it's going to be great. I am so grateful Okayama Pref. works relatively quickly!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear from their prefecture

Astrix, glad to see you're still around!

So you're going to be teaching high school, too, eh? I'm still trying to decide if that's a good thing. On the plus side, I'm assuming there will be at least a few students who have some rudimentary English skills to build on. On the minus side, well, they're all teenagers, aren't they! :wink:

Glad to hear you've been contacted. That's not your first choice, is it? As I recall, you wanted a smallish town. Was that your second choice?

Muppety, it sounds like they basically contacted you to say they aren't contacting you yet.

Yeah, with wedding plans (2 weeks out from the big day now),working full time, moving back to Atlanta from Dallas, and getting ready for Japan, I've just been too swamped to hang around the net much.

JET news has been slow too, so there hasn't been much reason to come on ITIL lately.

I too am ambivalent about the high school placement. I think it will be mostly positive, and perhaps more rewarding than teaching younger kids. Maybe this is naivete but I think I'll be able to relate more to high school kids and will be able to elicit more interesting classroom dynamics with them. Hopefully, the teenager-ness won't get in the way too much.... hopefully...

Okayama City was none of our 3 choices, but it is right next door to our first choice, Kurashiki. I'm actually really happy with our placement.

Are you going to the Q&A in Atlanta in June?

Hey, wow, congratulations on the marriage! How exciting!

Yes, I'll be at the Atlanta Q&A. My wife will hopefully be there with me, but she may have the urge to shop. Needless to say shopping is better in Atlanta than Greensboro.

Maybe we can go for Korean barbecue if you and your wife are into it. North Carolina forbids open flames at tables in restaurants, thus making traditional Korean barbecue impossible, so it's it treat for us when we go to Atlanta.

So, what does BOE mean? I think you all must be in the same situation that I am... when I first opened the placement list for Montreal, I was listed in the Iwate prefecture, with Iwate-ken being listed as the City/Town. At first I had a heart attack, because there IS a small town in the Iwate prefecture called Iwate. My partner was listed as an alternate, but right now we're planning on him coming with me and finding work in the ESL market there, and the small town of Iwate didn't look very encouraging. I asked the JET representative at the consulate about it, and she said that the same thing had happened to her when she was placed - that she was placed in a senior high school and didn't find out until much later.

Can anyone give me any sort of idea how much longer it will be? To be honest I'm quite stressed out about it, it seems that JET has given me bad news possible at every turn... my partner being listed as an alternate, scrambling in the middle of exams to get my medical form in, and now being the only person I know (I know a few other JETs) to not get their placement. Can anyone give me any sort of idea as to what is in store for me... about how much longer until we find out, and how different will my JET experience be from the other lucky canidates who found out right away?

I'm not a prefectural ALT; I am placed in Asakuchi City. Unfortunately I'm in the same kind of boat as you lot but not quite as much in that my city was only gappeied in March this year, which means I could be in one of three towns that aren't really that close to each other. I've ruled out one but the difference between the other two is a large town and a small village, which is a big difference.

I want the village. We'll see.

VIP

Quote Originally Posted by piinku
    So, what does BOE mean? ... when I first opened the placement list for Montreal, I was listed in the Iwate prefecture, with Iwate-ken being listed as the City/Town.
    That is standard practice for prefectural ALTs. You will likely be based at a SHS, though there is also a chance of being placed at a Regional Education Office (BOE) and working at JHS/ES. Most people like you will get further details around mid-June, though others may have to wait longer. My Education Office will get photos and contact info for new ALTs sometime next week.

Quote Originally Posted by piinku
    Can anyone give me any sort of idea how much longer it will be? ... Can anyone give me any sort of idea as to what is in store for me... about how much longer until we find out, and how different will my JET experience be from the other lucky canidates who found out right away?
    Your experience is entirely unrelated to when you find stuff out. It is also unrelated to your interview performance, application packet, alternate status, or the position of the stars. The only thing about your experience that you control is your attitude. Go in with a good one, and chances are, youll enjoy it.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astrix
    Yeah, with wedding plans (2 weeks out from the big day now),working full time, moving back to Atlanta from Dallas, and getting ready for Japan, I've just been too swamped to hang around the net much.
    Congrats! I love weddings. Mine were so much fun. I'm envious... 8)
    Enjoy your special day, and may it be your marriage!
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_X
    Thanks a lot for the congrats. And, yes, I'm pretty sure it will be my marriage...

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Thanks a lot for the congrats. And, yes, I'm pretty sure it will be my marriage...
    Glad to see I won't be the only newlywed JET. I have four weeks til the big day. Can't wait. Hope your wedding goes off WITH a hitch....

I thought I typed "your only" but I forgot "only"... ops:
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

:cry: Don't laugh at me.... :cry:

Wahhhhhhh! ops:

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Glad to see I won't be the only newlywed JET. I have four weeks til the big day. Can't wait. Hope your wedding goes off WITH a hitch....

Hey, good luck too. And may it be your ONLY marriage! &>p<&

:evil: :smt019 :smt022 :smt035 :smt030

As I was reading through your corrections, Alex, I was trying to figure out which "your" the "only" should follow. Needless to say I thought it was "may it be your only special day" at first! :wink: