Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interac

Default Interac

I realize I probably invite nothing but strife by posting a thread about Interac (though probably less strife here than on BD...), but I really want to know....

Is Interac so bad? I mean, really?

Is there anyone around here who ACTUALLY works for them? Not just knows something horrible about it via their father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, etc.?

I'm in desperate need of employment in this fabulous country (which I still love after two full years, call me crazy) after my JET contract is up and I've been unable to find much solid information about Interac aside from the heated rants of now-displaced ALTs.

What are the facts? The good? Bad? Ugly?

Any help would be much appreciated on the topic. :-)

my jobs been replaced by an interac alt when i leave. we have 2 already, they get dumped here and basically treated like a jet but without any of the help or support (or lack of i suppose depending on your situation). they seem to enjoy it well enough. guess your situation will vary considerably according to where your placed...

ive been told aeon is good, and to stay far far away from nova. (and i would second the stay away from nova thing, they offered me a job before jet and when i declined the head office woman in london called me up and demanded why i'd wasted there time and who did i think i was... 8O if thats how you get treated when your been recruited...well, i'm glad a told em to get lost and had nothing more to do with them)
    If i told you you had a good body, would you take your clothes off and dance around for me?

I've only heard bits and pieces from various people (mainly second-hand information) about Interac and it sounds like there are good and bad positions, just like with JET. As for Nova, I've meet a few of their teachers here in Hiroshima and they seemed to enjoy the job, so it's not all bad. It just depends on which branch you're working for, it seems.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

The Interac rumors I'm looking to put to rest are the ones about paychecks sometimes being withheld/late up to two months and other general screwing-overs like that.

I'm not so worried about placement as I am about the integrity of the business itself. I'm very good at making any place into my home (even with sh!tty coworkers or whatever... my base school has some real winners right now, let me tell you... :twisted, but I'm constantly on a living yen-to-yen budget because of the pile I have to send home monthly for bills and thoughts of having paychecks be 1-2 months late TERRIFY me.

Thanks for the info you've offered up so far!

You don't think you're selling out just a teensy little bit?

Go home and give someone else a go.

Um, no?

A job is a job is a job. If the economy dictates that prefectures can't afford JETs anymore and they have to move to privates, so be it. I'll take what I can get, thanks.

I've no interest in "going home." If I did, I would take the free JET flight and be on my way. As it is, I'm giving up the 200,000 yen on a silver platter in order to stay and live in the country that I've come to call home.

i kind of agree with abiona. i've got plenty of friends who have graduated and don't have jobs. i'm in michigan though, and the economy here is a shit fest. what ever it takes to survive.

There was a couple who lived a few towns away from me working at the SHS - I'm not sure which company they were originally working for but when the time came for the school to renew the contract the company was outbid by.... Interac. The reason they won...... they cut the ALTs' salaries by over a quarter (bearing in mind they weren't getting a JET's salary in the first place the couple were none too happy with this as it wasn't enough to live on and had to quit and move away!!).
    So although it's hardly firsthand experience it'd still be enough to put me off!!
    I'm confused though - have you done 2 years JET and are leaving? I thought they had to relocate you if the BOE was going to take on private ALTs instead and you hadn't done your full 3 years...?! :?:

Ah, relocation... that would have been the nice deal. They sent me packing off to a municipality that went through the motions of 'interviewing' prefecturals who were getting shafted and then turned me down after the interview.

ETA: The municipality I was moved to was the ONLY one I know of that conducted interviews for the relocated ALTs.

I theorize that they either asked for more ALTs than they actually needed in order to pick the pretty ones OR they just went through the motions to look good and like they were supporting the process and then opted for fresh off the boat folks who will be able to stay for three years instead of my one remaining.

Either way, it left me without a contracting organization and therefore forcibly removed from JET.

Thanks for the info. All the positions I see advertised through Interac are for 250,000 base with bonuses available, so I'm hoping that's truly the case. Other places are 200,000 a month which is out of the question for me.

My friend works for Interac here in Kyushu. He seems to like it a lot. I met another guy at a Aeon interview who didn't like it, hence he was at the interview. I guess it depends on what branch you work for.
    Pau

*DIES* I have NO idea WHY your icon cracks me up so much. Just had to tell you that it does...

Thanks It's good to hear a first-hand-ish account of someone that's happy with the company.

Hometown of The Riddler, Darth Vader, and Austin Powers

Sorry, what exactly is Interac? Here it's analogous to debit (paying with your bank card)...
    got charisma?

Interac is a (somewhat controversial) corporation that supplies Boards of Education with ALTs at a lower cost than having a JET on the payroll.

http://www.interac.co.jp/

... I can't think of anywhere else to put this, but should anyone get placed in Okayama-ken, Misaki-town, please send me a message!! Evidently my contract has gone to interac, along with the other JET's in my town as well.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body.

I've been working for Interac since March; I'll be switching over to JET this summer. I'm with the Tokyo branch.

It's certainly a low-paying job, but I've found it decent enough. You more or less get your choice of location. At least in my case, you in fact do get quite a bit of support: ALTs are assigned an Independent Contractor (IC), a Japanese native who helps out with location-related issues. ("Help, they turned off my water!" "How do I sign up for a cell phone?" etc.) The people at Interac generally (see note below) are very friendly and decent people, although I find their claim that they value professionalism above all else kind of funny, because they're hilariously disorganized.

I believe the salary is technically 210,000/month or something; then there's a 20,000 "location allowance" and a 20,000 "attendance bonus". They have always paid me on time and such. In that at least, they're above the table. (They skirt legality in a bajillion other ways, of course.) But yeah, it's great. Heck, if you request Machida, you can probably take my old job! The schools I work with are just plain awesome, and I'll greatly miss them.

Really, my only complaint with Interac is that, when I told them I was quitting, they really bitched me out. I guess it's only to be expected, but seriously, such hypocrisy.

If you've already spent three years with JET, from what I gather, you should try to contract directly with a BoE.

I know this is unsolicited advice, but if I can: personally, I'd suggest that anyone who really wants to -live- in Japan develop a skill or credential that will let them do something besides being an ALT.

Anyway, ask here or PM me if you have any other questions about Interac. (Specifically, the Tokyo 5 branch.) All in all, I'd recommend it...it's just that JET is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrit
    ... I can't think of anywhere else to put this, but should anyone get placed in Okayama-ken, Misaki-town, please send me a message!! Evidently my contract has gone to interac, along with the other JET's in my town as well.
    This is what I don't understand.

I think you live in an absolutely beautiful town.

But i doubt that anyone is going to request it.

So I assume that they will have a thing on their application form that is like 'no preference' like JET and they'll put one of them in your town.

Reckon they'll stay longer than a week? Even if they do give them your kick arse house?

It costs an arm and a leg to leave your town - they'll need a car. if they're not staying long term which seems to be typical of interac people they're not going to be too keen on an investment like that. Plus the cost of petrol is insane.

They'd need to pay at least as much as JET does to make it even worthwhile. You should be paid more than you are anyway as a petrol allowance or something. They're proposing giving their ALT a huge pay cut instead. I know at least the last 2 ALTs in your town didn't stay longer than a year WITH the higher pay.

Interac in Osaka sure but interac in the inaka seems like it's asking for trouble.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I've been working for Interac since last August. If you search my past posts (of which there haven't been too many), you can find a lot of info on them. I work for the Hamamatsu branch. If you want specific info, PM me. The Hamamatsu branch is good and has no attendance bonus (i.e., you get that money regardless of attendance). However, I have a friend in the Osaka branch who's been screwed over. Like I said, feel free to PM me. I don't check this site too often anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    This is what I don't understand.

I think you live in an absolutely beautiful town.

But i doubt that anyone is going to request it.

So I assume that they will have a thing on their application form that is like 'no preference' like JET and they'll put one of them in your town.

Reckon they'll stay longer than a week? Even if they do give them your kick arse house?

It costs an arm and a leg to leave your town - they'll need a car. if they're not staying long term which seems to be typical of interac people they're not going to be too keen on an investment like that. Plus the cost of petrol is insane.

They'd need to pay at least as much as JET does to make it even worthwhile. You should be paid more than you are anyway as a petrol allowance or something. They're proposing giving their ALT a huge pay cut instead. I know at least the last 2 ALTs in your town didn't stay longer than a year WITH the higher pay.

Interac in Osaka sure but interac in the inaka seems like it's asking for trouble.
    Actually, Yanahara is the one that has the one ALT a year rule until recently....the last ALT in my specific town stayed 3 years. The hermit no one knew....lol. But that would explain why he stayed 3 years. Incidentally he is still living in Japan, about 30 minutes away from me in Ochiai. He just got tired of teaching. I mean, my town is nice, but it is a bitch and a half to get to and out of. I think my lack of rent is adequate petrol reimbursement. However, there is the strong likelihood that they won't put my successor in my house. Which could be for thier benefit. That means they could live in Chuo which is infinitely more convenient for the rest of the world and could probably carpool with Hina-chan if they wanted to get away with not having a car. My town switched probably for pay reasons and for the fact that they don't have to buy plane tickets anymore. Actually, I'm sure that's a major reason. They can't afford the transport cost if they get another JET that leaves in a year and takes the ticket home. I mean my pred didn't for obvious reasons. So I think that was the clincher. That and the infamous Yanahara ALT.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body.

It seems to me different type of post,actually i was surfing net and came here. find this post different one!Well someone who dont know about it may get interesting type of information from this post…good sharing of ideas

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Interac

Wow do read a dates
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.