Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a packet from my contracting organisation

Default I got a packet from my contracting organisation

Hi there.. I just received information from the Omura BoE about my new life in Japan. It says I will be working at the Omura City Board of Education under the supervision of Mr. Yuji Araki. Does anyone think they could translate that for me?? The actual lines says: "You will be working at Omura City Board of Education." If I were going to be working at a specific school, would it have said the schools name or will I really be working in the BoE office.. I am so confused... as usual.. haha.. Thanks for any help....
    oh.. and also, it says I have to pay 160,000 yen upfront for start-up rent... Does that cover my first 4 months rent (as my rent is 40,000 a month) or is that just like a deposit?

Kai

I don't know anything about the rent stuff, my contract didn't tell me anything about my living arrangements.

However, it looks to me as if you won't have a base school, working out of the BOE offices instead. I conclude this because, as a prefectural ALT, I expected that to be my fate but was actually assigned to a base Senior High School in my prefecture's capital. I assume that if you were going to be working at a specific school they would have told you so explicitly.

Oh... and uh, ESID.....

well, at least you have some info! are you in the inaka? i guess when your predecessor contacts you, you could get some more information. i honestly hope i have a base school. i'd rather stay at one place and develop good relationships instead of skipping around to different schools all week
    la...la

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I remember you all like you were my children. ebochan was from the golden age of ITIL - before the dark times.

Default Re: I got a packet from my contracting organisation

Quote Originally Posted by KinokoKai
    oh.. and also, it says I have to pay 160,000 yen upfront for start-up rent... Does that cover my first 4 months rent (as my rent is 40,000 a month) or is that just like a deposit?Kai
    If they left an e-mail address, I would e-mail them and ask if the "start-up" rent covered four months or if this was "key money" and "deposit." Key money cannot be recovered as it is a "gift" to the landlord (only in Japan!?!?). This is important to ask because you may have to pay the 16,000 plus rent.
    Pau

Default Re: I got a packet from my contracting organisation

Quote Originally Posted by KinokoKai
    It says I will be working at the Omura City Board of Education under the supervision of Mr. Yuji Araki. Does anyone think they could translate that for me??
    My translations skills are a little rusty, but unless I'm very much mistaken, and I rarely am, I believe that translates to:

"You will be working at Omura City Board of Education under the supervision of Mr. Yuji Araki."

Though it probably reads as:

"Yu wiru be waaking ato Omura Shitty Boaado obu Edukayshon anda za supabijon obu Misuta Yuji Araki".

Fyrey.. thanks for the laugh.. I needed it... Ok.. so I am just a little spastic... ciao

dkp

Lucky bastard!

Perhaps the startup money is a combination of deposit and key money, which is a gift for the landlord for being nice enough to allow you to give him money every month. Unlike the deposit, you don't get it back no matter how perfect a tenant you are.

Key money is a racket that the Japanese are unique in tolerating.

Quote Originally Posted by jtegnell
    Lucky bastard!

Perhaps the startup money is a combination of deposit and key money, which is a gift for the landlord for being nice enough to allow you to give him money every month. Unlike the deposit, you don't get it back no matter how perfect a tenant you are.

Key money is a racket that the Japanese are unique in tolerating.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't key money starting to go slightly out of favor even with the Japanese? Or are they just getting less strict about necessarily making foreigners pay it in all situations?

Becca, who is extremely grateful that apparently her BoE has been renting her apartment for the last couple of years and doesn't have to pay key money.

Becca, I think you are right. I've also heard that key money is going out. The population is declining, the demand for housing is less so the landlords don't have that much power anymore.

The population is decreasing? really?? I thought it was more of a case that the population was ageing... despite the fact that birthrates are down the number of old folks lingering on thanks to advances in medical technology etc. is causing problems with pension funds etc. Despite the fact that the birthrate has decreased the number of younger workers/young couples who want their own place rather than live with their parents and grandfolks is increasing and so demand for housing is actually rising...

i could be completely wrong but i think i've heard this argument repeated a number of times over the years.

Haha, whoops! My bad, Raze. You're right. The population is getting older and the birthrate is much lower than before.

My package has been mailed to me today...so it'll arrive in 5 - 666 business days I'm sure.

Mine took about 2 weeks. Australia is slightly closer than Canada granted but that's more than made up for I'm sure by the fact that you're not dealing with Australia Post.

Anyway, Kai's back so my happiness is complete.

United States => Aizumisato-machi, Fukushima-ken

I didn't get a packet yet, but my pred called me up last night and gave me all my info O_O! I also talked to my supervisor on the phone in an unexpected Japanese-language-usage situation... nerve-racking. She sounds like a really nice lady though.

Anyways, I need to take a damn shower before I go to an eye doctor's appointment, I'll post more info later, it was really interesting. Anyone else receive calls directly from their preds?

Sean

I received my packet today. 65,000 yen/month rent, but I only have to pay half. And they're covering half of my "start-up money." I'm happy to be completely butt-raped on moving in costs.

My only question is...Where's the info about my pred? They haven't told me anything about him/her. I doubt that I'm the first Yoshimi-machi has ever had...I think.

Anyway, seems like a nice town, pretty average. Which is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Mine took about 2 weeks. Australia is slightly closer than Canada granted but that's more than made up for I'm sure by the fact that you're not dealing with Australia Post.

Anyway, Kai's back so my happiness is complete.
    Australia Post is fast from the UK but from everywhere else much slower. If someone sends you something "economy air" expect to wait a long while.

United Kingdom (England) -> Kagoshima-ken

Got mine today, woohoo. All looks good except I'm in one of those towns that's been created by merging four smaller places that are miles apart...they do know I don't drive right? Nervous, paranoid whimper...

Ah well, will just have to see what happens Hope I hear from my pred soon though so I can pick their brains about travel.

I just got mine yesterday. It took 2 business days to get here. =P I'm now inundated with a shite load of information!

Quote Originally Posted by Muppety
    Got mine today, woohoo. All looks good except I'm in one of those towns that's been created by merging four smaller places that are miles apart...they do know I don't drive right? Nervous, paranoid whimper...
    So's mine. But my placement's super fabulous. Bit inaka but otherwise super-fabulous. Seaside, rent-free, furnished apartment, paid 2 weeks into getting there, etc.

My town was only very recently gappeid and I am only the second full time alt. I only have one school. I think that because of the relative newness of having an alt, especially after their last ALT, who was very good, only stayed one year and I am replacing him while he goes off to be a CIR, and the very newness of the city itself has meant that the town still thinks of the JET programme as a good thing and hasn't lost the general niceness towards their ALT. Yet. I pity my suc.

Just got my contract package yesterday,

Like the original poster I'm at a BOE as my workplace and working with 14 JHS, then i noticed on my statement of agreement where I sign it says "I hereby consent to work as Coordinator for Assistant Language Teacher..."
    Does anyone else have that Coordinator for in their contract?