Thread: What's Good About JHS?

Default What's Good About JHS?

Please tell me. Surely there must be something.

(Yes, I know there was that whole JHS v. SHS thread - but this is not that - just give me a one liner...make my day...)
    Yield to the willow/All the loathing,/All the desire of your heart. -Basho

Eventually they grow up and go away.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

they're even tighter than SHS gals.

Xioajie,
    Hmmm... they're not so angry? They aren't as jaded? I'm just throwing these out there.
    :?

United States => Aizumisato-machi, Fukushima-ken

I just found out I'll be teaching JHS M-Thu and Elementary on Fridays -- and, apparently, I'm going to be doing some kindergarten as well? O_o Save me!

Sean

Ohhh....kindergarten.....that makes me laugh....as far as I know (at least according to my pred....) I'm teaching elementary, jhs, and adult conversational!

VIP

Kindergarten is kind of fun really. Although, ive only taught special-needs kindergarten (try teaching English to a deaf 3-year old), but i think you'll find the teacher-student ratio to be pretty good.

JHS kids aren't dead inside yet, they are only pretending.
    Mabushiii!!!

Once they get to know you/you get to know them, they're very sweet.

(NB:The students not the teachers)

They love stickers and will do anything to get their hands on your purikura!

The baseball boys/handball girls will all chorus "Sayonara" at you when you leave school at the end of the day.

They act really surprised to see you all the time!! (Especially in the Super market, but even in class!)

If you can get them to write you letters in English you get to know them better and realise they are really quite simple little things!

Sometimes they bring you secret chocolate cakes.

They say you are pretty or cute all the time!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

yea, what hannah said. they're mostly little and sweet. and if they're not sweet, and want to fight you, at least they're still mostly little.

oh, and although ESID it is generally easier to take time off during school time should you need it. this is due to the fact that they don't care two hoots! Take full advantage, and as long as you are doing your job, attending all classes, doing your best for the little darlings, then taking time off during exam times when you don't have classes is OK.
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

The home of Japanese hardware (via the state of Maine)

The first year kids especially sometimes actually have a bit of enthusiasm left for school and English. Of course, that ends when they go off on the school ski trip and get lobotomies, so enjoy it while it lasts. Really, though, my first year kids are great.

The second years, in my experience, are usually the most difficult/least responsive. I chalk it up to them all being thirteen and at their hormonal peak. That and in my town, it's usually the second year teachers who are the complete lunatics/incompetents, so those kids haven't generally got any reason to enjoy English or be enthused. I can't really blame them for that.

The third year kids can be a mixed bag- either they've totally given up on school and could give two shits about English, or they really like the idea of talking to the ALT and have a lot of (usually dirty) questions. My third years who just graduated were a really, really great group of kids- I ate lunch with them occasionally, and the ones I've seen out in town or who have come back to visit have all seemed eager to talk to me and tell me all about high school. They were just a really nice group of kids. The current san nens I barely know, due to their aforementioned lunatic teacher. Teaching them is hell because almost all of them hate English, and I've taught them about four times all year and have zero rapport with them. Again, though, not their fault.

Personally, I really enjoy teaching JHS. I feel like even the "bad" kids usually aren't so far gone that I can't at least try and affect some change and help them out, and it's pretty cool to know that when those first years show up in April, I'm the first regular ALT they've had. Most of them are excited about English, eager to try it out, and it's really great. What's no so great is watching the transformation into zombies, but I think you can forestall that sometimes, at least in your classes.
    "Hello, this is Dr. Niles Crane.... Although I feel perfectly qualified to fill Frasier's radio shoes, I should warn you that while Frasier is a Freudian, I am a Jungian. So there'll be no
    blaming Mother today!"
    -Niles Crane

yeah, pretty much copy and paste all thats been said...jhs kids are fun

the ichi nen seis are still shogakko kids at heart, and like english probably cos they just played games when the alt came for the yearly visit to the elementary school.

although as with all schools the atmosphere can almost change over night with new kids arriving and teachers leaving or been moved around...

at one school the kids are very genki, good at english and try hard. although for some reason they insist on asking me questions about the size of my penis and try to tell me all about theres...how do u actually answer the question "Are you big penis??!?"

for some reason my kids forget all the english they have ever learned when they become nin nen sei's. if you have a few good kids though the classes are alot easier, they get into all the activities and kinda kick start the rest of the class.

i blame alot of the lethargy (have i just made up a new word or butchered an old one?) of the san nen seis on the rediculous ammounts of tests, extra curicular stuff and club activities there forced to do till there organs bleed.
    If i told you you had a good body, would you take your clothes off and dance around for me?

JHS is fun!
    Pau

Quote Originally Posted by raze
    they're even tighter than SHS gals.
    I imagine that wouldn't be hard as Japanese SHS girls have the reputation of being slutty. But then that's why you're desparate to get your Japan loving arse back over here, right!?!
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

you caught me ops: