Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savings

Default Savings

Just out of curiousity, how much do you guys manage to save per month while on jet. esid etc.

one of my main reasons for doing jet is to try and save some cash for a masters/phd and so i'm wondering how much its possible to put aside after 1/2/3 years. assume i have no loans to pay back and that im starting with a clean slate...

yabighoor

I usually put about 10man (100,000) away each month either for travel or paying off debts...easily done...but so much easier to not save.

Word of advice...come payday, first thing you should do is send that money home first thing, otherwise you'll fritter it away over the month.

if you want to save money dont buy a car, pray your not based near a big city, and plan your holidays and trips well.

i saved about 5000pounds my first year, hoping to have about the same again when i leave this. (would have been alot more except for a 3week trip to new zealand in february )
    If i told you you had a good body, would you take your clothes off and dance around for me?

Even people living in Hiroshima manage to save 100,000 a month. Not me, though, I don't think I'll be coming away with much.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I've hardly sent any money home, but I've done a lot of travelling. Just depends on what u wanna do while u r here. My priority is to travel so savings are pretty slim

but im have lots of fun

I'll be coming away with lots of travel memories, a nice camera and a massive amount of board games! They're good investments, right? Right!?!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

ur definitely right.

As my boyfriend says in ten years time r u gonna remember that u paid off debts at home or about the travelling u do.

Travel all the way

Yes, I'll remember all those board games I never play anymore when I'm living in a box under Hiroshima Eki-mae Bridge.

You're right, though - I'm enjoying my life and have no plans to settle down any time soon. I have nothing to save up for other than some vague idea of needing money in the future, so that makes it harder for me. If I had something concrete to focus on, like an MA or pressing debts, then I'd probably be saving a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    I'll be coming away with lots of travel memories, a nice camera and a massive amount of board games! They're good investments, right? Right!?!
    Oh, I love board games! Who do you play them with? The idea of being able to play board games with people I meet in Japan is suddenly very reassuring to me.

you can travel and save, you just have to live by a budget and not go on crazy weekends to tokyo...

all the people who havn't been able to save and are posting on here seem to be in big city placements too :P

and i suppose we should add, spending all your money does not gaurantee you a good time or great memories...

food for the trolls, methinks
    If i told you you had a good body, would you take your clothes off and dance around for me?

I could resonably put back 15-17 man a month if I wanted to. I choose to let myself have a bit more fun than that tho.

I'm soon to be moving closer to the center of the city with a more expensive apartment and access to restauarants, but I could still easily put back 10 man.

I have two bank accounts, one for "travel and savings" which usually becomes travel. And one for spending presently. If I transfer money right away, its very easy to save up for long trips and crazy weekends wherever I want to go.

Dob does have a lot of games. He's a more diverse geek than me, all I have is a lot of dice and player sheets and a few decks of cards.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Quote Originally Posted by quasarsglow
    I could resonably put back 15-17 man a month if I wanted to. I choose to let myself have a bit more fun than that tho.

I'm soon to be moving closer to the center of the city with a more expensive apartment and access to restauarants, but I could still easily put back 10 man.

I have two bank accounts, one for "travel and savings" which usually becomes travel. And one for spending presently. If I transfer money right away, its very easy to save up for long trips and crazy weekends wherever I want to go.

Dob does have a lot of games. He's a more diverse geek than me, all I have is a lot of dice and player sheets and a few decks of cards.
    Just wondering, how hard was it to setup a second bank account? Can you just ask for a second one when you get your initial one setup?

how are you guys sending money back? are there plenty of places to transfer it over? or do you just pack an envelope full of yen and send it overseas.

i use lloyds, very easy to set up (u get the stuff sent out a few times a year and pick it up at orientation in tokyo) free to start and 2000yen every time i send money home, no matter how much. Very very easy and reliable service. gets back to the uk same day too

haha, thanks, i dont think im going to set it up now, but i'll give you first dibs to send me the application when the time is closer Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hitori
    Quote Originally Posted by quasarsglow
    Just wondering, how hard was it to setup a second bank account? Can you just ask for a second one when you get your initial one setup?
    My second account is through the post office. I waited until i had some extra money then went down to the post office and opened it up on my own. it was pretty painless. Just had my seal and my money to open it with.

My BOE will only pay to the local bank account I have, but the postal one is accessible all over the country, so thats useful. I wouldnt recommend getting two at the same bank because theres no telling that your bank will be everywhere for you. Many of them are only in one or neighboring prefectures.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

I've travelled a lot in the 2 years I've been here:
    Japan: Okinana, Kyushu, Honshu, Hokkaido,
    Asia: Thailand, Korea, Malaysia twice, Cambodia, Vietnam (plus already paid for trips to Korea again, Hong Kong & Taiwan before this contract ends in August)
    And I managed a 3 week trip home
    I'm always going out. Plus I buy expensive 'presents' like ipods & digi cameras.
    Yet I managed to stash a fair amount of cash easily.
    So yeah, you can save a bit of cash while still enjoying yourself to the max...
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

How the hell did you manage to save with all that, Tash!?! 8O

I have no driving licence, hence no car, plus I live in teacher housing.
    It's so cheap to travel in Asia, and Japan isn't so bad if you take the package deal option (makes the hotel free in most cases once you've paid for the flight.) Plus, I have a good relationship with my travel agent now (used the same one every time) so they're willing to go the extra mile to find me the deal.

eta: For electronic goodies find one store with a good reward system & stick to it. Managed to get me 1man off my electronic dictionary thanks to my beloved pointo card.
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

If you have access to Akihabara (and select stores around the countries) and/or can order online I wouldn't stick with a major chain store for electronics. Chances are you would have to pay 2 man extra before you "save" 1 man.

Take for example the Casio Ex-word XD-ST6200. The RRP is 4.5man, in a major store it's probably around 3.4man (and 5000 yen points back), but you can pick it up for 2.35man or 2.4man delivered. Memory cards are ridiculously overpriced in big stores.

ETA: Of course having a points card is better than frequenting them with none at all.

ETA2: decimal points