View Poll Results: You're using it. What do you think?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Dooper

0 0%
  • Just super, not dooper

3 12.50%
  • It's ok

12 50.00%
  • I think it's making my jap worse.

3 12.50%
  • I'd rather gouge out my eyes.

6 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Japanese for JETs"

Default "Japanese for JETs"

Anyone else meandering their way through it?

I'm on chapter two. Opening the front cover was a big milestone for me.

Thoughts? Opinions? Death wishes?

United Kingdom (England) -> Kagoshima-ken

I'm just on chapter 3 now. Its okay, useful and relevent dialogue although I'd prefer to be learning Katakana first rather than hiragana.

Keep thinking I'm doing fine then I try the comprehension listening stuff on the CD and can't understand a word, sigh...

I skimmed the book. Its got some intersting info but its all stuff my classes covered in college.

Even though I've studied Japanese quite a bit in college, I found it useful for giving me a few terms that I never picked up because they weren't important.

There are some good stock phrases to make your life easier too.

It's not the worst starting book in the world.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

it's not too bad. just uses a lot of terminology that is geared towards being a jet. i've kind of just been meandering through the book. i listen to the cds as i go to bed (hoping to get it into my subconcious). i have noticed that i'm able to understand words through the speed of the conversations. but then again, maybe all the japanese dramas i've been watching are the cause of that.

for learning katakana and hiragana, i suggest you pick up a book that is specific for that. and they honestly aren't too bad. i knocked both of those out in a day in the 8th grade. but there are some helpful books. in fact, i've got quite a few i don't mind passing a long (for free). if anyone is interested, let me know.

anyway, good luck everyone! :smt006
    la...la

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I remember you all like you were my children. ebochan was from the golden age of ITIL - before the dark times.

Yeah, I agree that you don't need this book to learn the kana. Just get a chart and take them 5 at a time and you'll have it down in a couple days. Now if I could only get off my ass and take my own advice!

As for the book it's pretty good. But as someone mentioned most of this stuff was covered in the classes I've already taken. "<name> to moshimasu" is a useful phrase that was never taught in class. The book is worth it just for that. The price was right, anyways.

Since I studied Japanese for 2 years in college and lived in Japan for 6 months for an intensive Japanese language study program, the book isn't useful to me. All the same, it seems like a good introduction.

I liked this, though:

p96, Hashi no tsukai-kata (Using chopsticks)
    Japanese chopsticks, unlike the Chinese originals, are shorter in length, conical, and come in a variety of colors and materials. Foreigners are often complimented by Japanese on their expertise with these eating utensils. It is probably best to smile graciously rather than retort by praising the other's skillful use of Western dining implements.
    Anyway, I gave it to a friend of mine who speaks no Japanese and is applying for a job with NOVA (or was it GEOS, or AEON... I can never remember).

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

My brain has trouble coping with romaji. It sees English letters and thinks they should be English words. I wish they had a version in hiragana/katakana for people who know them - or even for everyone. Relying on romaji is really bad because it messes with pronunciation.
    Having said that, the content is bringing back memories of how to talk to people politely and I'm enjoying the cultural tid-bits.
    Probably also worth noting that apart from a change from tapes to CDs, "Japanese for JETs" hasn't changed much since I got my first copy in 1994!

I suppose it didn't explain why we can't praise thier use of western utenciles. "They can be rude, but you can't."
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

what is acceptable in japanese society would seem like extremely low self esteem in the states.

j: you are so good at using chopsticks!
    m: no no, i'm very bad at using them.
    j: oh and your japanese, so good! you learn so quickly!
    m: no no, my japanese is the worst. and i'm as dumb as they come. i still don't know jack shit.

if i had to listen to someone verbally abuse themselves all day, i'd go mad! or at least i would stop paying them compliments. i guess i should get used to it, especially since i'll be doing this myself. :?
    la...la

I remember you all like you were my children. ebochan was from the golden age of ITIL - before the dark times.

VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_X
    I suppose it didn't explain why we can't praise thier use of western utenciles. "They can be rude, but you can't."
    When they say "Wow, you're good with chopsticks!", they are really trying to say "Hey, feel like a chat?."

You can be all offended and sarcastic: "Yeah, and you're great with that fork." or you can just accept it as a weak and cliched conversation starter. It falls into the same category as "Geez, its hot today." and "Hey, thats a nice car."

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamis
    When they say "Wow, you're good with chopsticks!", they are really trying to say "Hey, feel like a chat?."
    this is not always the case. sometimes, people are just fascinated that foreigners can function. it does depend on the situation. but you can't deny what the typical response is supposed to be. my japanese teacher of 4 years would say things like that, and it wasn't a conversation starter. usually he was just utterly surprised.
    la...la

Why does everyone get so offended when someone compliments your chopstick proficiency? I am genuinely curious.

Because it sounds false and patronising. It also implies that most foreigners in Japan can't use chopsticks and that Japan is this 'unique culture' that no one else can ever understand.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Also, while it may not be so offensive on it's own, it kind of gets on the nerves after about the 50th time or so...

Especially when they ask mid-year after seeing you eat school lunch with them every damn day.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Maybe they're just trying to be nice?

Maybe, but then maybe we're only human.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

In case this thread still about "Japanese for JETs," I just cracked open the book this afternoon. I think it's horrible, but I'm going to try to use it any way, perhaps as a supplement to what texts I'm already working through.

Poorly written and poorly organized. Basically a complete and utter waste of time.