View Poll Results: You're using it. What do you think?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Dooper

0 0%
  • Just super, not dooper

3 12.50%
  • It's ok

12 50.00%
  • I think it's making my jap worse.

3 12.50%
  • I'd rather gouge out my eyes.

6 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Japanese for JETs"

Quote Originally Posted by skyboat
    Poorly written and poorly organized. Basically a complete and utter waste of time.
    Can you elaborate please?

I'm thinking of writing my own textbook: 'English for JETs from native English speaking countries'.

--

In other news i'm into chapter 3. I am liking it more now that i'm more used to the speed of speech and general grammar and syntax patterns.

I'm moving through it slowly though and I suggest you lot do the same. They pack a lot of information into each chapter and don't provide nearly enough chances to revise or practice it.

Edited because i felt like it.

How are we going with this?

I've just finished chapter 7 so I'm halfway through.

Interestingly it appears to have become easier as I've moved through - most language students in my short time of ESOL study have complained of the opposite.

Thoughts? Are we progressing?

The home of Japanese hardware (via the state of Maine)

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Why does everyone get so offended when someone compliments your chopstick proficiency? I am genuinely curious.
    Well, let me see. When I'm sitting in the cafeteria at the local handicapped school, right next to the kid with Downs syndrome who is happily noshing away with his chopsticks, and a teacher who's watched me eat with chopsticks for a year announces in an amazed tone, "Eeeeeeeeeh?! Hashi ga jyoooouuuuuzu!" I find it just a tad patronizing. Honestly, woman, the retarded kid who wears socks on his hands has figured out how to use chopsticks. Why exactly is it so astonishing that a foreign person of normal intelligence, sans sock-hands, is capable of the same?

Maybe she is just trying to make conversation, but it comes off sounding like, "Wow! You've mastered a skill so basic that even the severely mentally retarded can do it! Keep up the good work!"

Usually, I just tell them that actually, we eat with chopsticks at home pretty much whenever we get Chinese or Japanese food (or Mongolian barbecue), and I've known how to use the things since I was about seven, so it's really not that big a deal. Cue disbelief over the idea of foreigners not only eating Japanese food, but eating it with chopsticks. Apparently some people find it all quite mind-blowing.
    "Hello, this is Dr. Niles Crane.... Although I feel perfectly qualified to fill Frasier's radio shoes, I should warn you that while Frasier is a Freudian, I am a Jungian. So there'll be no
    blaming Mother today!"
    -Niles Crane