Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long is Everyone Staying?

Default How Long is Everyone Staying?

Now that we're all in the preperation phase of this whole JET deal, I was wondering how long people planned on staying over in Japan and why. Personally I'd like to stay for two years, that seems to be the average and i feel like I wouldn't get to experience that much of Japan in just one year. Course everything revolves around how my placement works out i suppose. If its cool then i'll probably stick around for another year.

So how about anyone else? Anyone who's certain they are gonna stay for 1/2/3 years?

i want to stay for 2 years. i wouldn't mind staying for more, but i think 2 is good for the similar reasons you mentioned.
    la...la

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I remember you all like you were my children. ebochan was from the golden age of ITIL - before the dark times.

My current plans are to stay for one year, then head off to grad school or a "real" job, but I'm not pretending to have it figured out--if things seem to be working out for me well over there I might stay longer.

I'm gonna stay for at least 2 years if I can but probably 3.

I'm sort of a fly-by-the-seat-of-you-pants kinda girl so I really have no clue how long I'll stay. If I don't like it then I'll just do one year. If I do like it, then 2 or 3. Shit, I don't even really have any plans for after JET... just travel and stuff. I'd like to put off getting a "real job" for as long as I possibly can.
    the spiderman is having you for dinner tonight.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

My first time on JET I intended to only go for one year but stayed for two. I would have stayed for a third but I had to come back to break up a relationship. The first year you're just figuring things out - the second year you really become a part of the place (mind you, I only had 2 schools).
    This time I'm hoping to stay 3 years, but it's dependent on how long my Malaysian flatmates stay in Australia for study, because they are looking after my house and dog for me. It also depends on how much my fiancee likes the place, as he's never been there. And on whether my Australian school is happy to keep extending my leave without pay!

My plan is to stay for one year because I am taking a leave of absence and will have to give up my job in the US if I stay longer. My position here is cushy and pays well, and it'd be very hard to give that up. However, I can't realistically make that decision with a 100% certainty because I have no idea what's waiting for me in Japan. Maybe it will be even better than what I have here. Maybe it will be worse. I will say this: if Sendai is as cool as it sounds, I'm going to have a tough decision ahead of me.

During my first year I will be looking into grad schools or other jobs, but I can see myself doing it for two years.

United Kingdom (England) -> Kagoshima-ken

Most likely just the one year for me. Means I'll have to pay a boatlaod of tax when I get back to the UK, but my current employers have given me a leave of absence so I know I've got a job in the UK to come back to.

One year if I hate it (which I won't)
    Three years if I like it and then I don't know... if I really like it in Japan, I could theoretically stay there for a long time. It's hard to say at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Josefu
    Three years if I like it and then I don't know... if I really like it in Japan, I could theoretically stay there for a long time. It's hard to say at this point.
    I guess that brings up a good point, is anyone planning on staying in Japan for the long haul after finishing the JET?

Quote Originally Posted by Malarky
    Quote Originally Posted by Josefu
    I guess that brings up a good point, is anyone planning on staying in Japan for the long haul after finishing the JET?
    That would depend on whether I hate Japan or love Japan...If I love it, and can't bear to leave, then I might stay there for a while after JET. If I don't really like it much, I'll probably come back to the U.S. after 2 or 3 years.

I really love Japan (which is why I wanted to go back) but after JET, our options are limited (unless you speak, read and write perfect Japanese) in terms of jobs in Japan. That's the only downside= being relegated to the eikaiwa world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartersparkles
    I really love Japan (which is why I wanted to go back) but after JET, our options are limited (unless you speak, read and write perfect Japanese) in terms of jobs in Japan. That's the only downside= being relegated to the eikaiwa world.
    i know someone who went through JET a long time ago, and ended up staying in japan for 6 years. after JET he did odd jobs here and there, but during the time, he perfected his english and then ended up getting a job at the Japan Consulate in Detroit doing visas.

i don't know how much he liked that job, however. now, he's back in japan going to keio university and attempting to get some certificate of japanese or something or other.

but my point is, there are other options outside of japan which would still have you connected to japan in some way. i'm hoping i'll get some nice job in the business world.
    la...la

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I remember you all like you were my children. ebochan was from the golden age of ITIL - before the dark times.

I plan, and I know how plans like this sometimes never see completion, but I plan on learning as much Japanese as possible. I'd like to go through the certification process too.

I'd like to learn just so that I'll be able to function and to talk to people, but the more you know, the more options you have, and that goes for anything.

You could always *shudder* become an english teacher 8O

If I enjoy the long-haul stay, then I will remain there indefinitely. Perhaps try for other ESL jobs outside of JET.
    Awww... you look like you need a hug! \(^^)/

either 2-3 years. depends on how much i can save (for postgrad degree/another undergraduate) and how things go.

Another undergrad?? Oft your mad. Any particular reason behind that? I don't have that much to come back to Glasgow for or Scotland for that matter. So, i probably will stay for 2-3 years.

People keep asking me this and I keep telling them 'at least a year'.

Seriously kids, it's far too early to know how much of a shithole your new inaka placement or your big city lonely shoe-box life will be so forget the predictions.

Dombay-so true actually. However it can't be any worse than where i'm already staying. So if it is a shit hole- it least it will be a new one with better weather