Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Long is Everyone Staying?

Depending on how I like my placement, my financial situation, and what my thoughts on grad school are, I may stay for the whole three years. Obviously I have to see how I like it first, but it seems like a pretty good deal.

Yeah, I also say "at least a year", but plan on 3 years. Who knows though. We'll just see how it goes.

And why? I don't know why, but I just started really wanting to go to Japan/learn Japanese, etc, back in Oct. 2002. It literally just happened from one minute to the next. Long story, won't bore you. I couldn't go on JET back then, because I wasn't even planning on getting a degree at that time. I went on a month long study abroad trip and during that time, I decided to go to a University so that I could continue with Japknees and study abroad over there for a longer time. That's basically it.

*edit* Oh, so that's why I want to stay in Japan longer. I just want to be there longer, and I've wanted to do this program for 4 years now, so why not stay as long as possible? I won't have another chance to participate on this program, (well, 10 years after I finish, I suppose) so I'm just going to have some fun for as long as possible.

I'd like to stay at least two years. As someone else mentioned, one year isn't much time to REALLY absorb your new surroundings. I'm not in a huge hurry - I'd love to travel afterwards, maybe consider other jobs in Asia....then grad school later? WHO KNOWS! All I know is I'm open to ANYTHING right now....

I'm thinking minimum 2, hopefully 3. I really want/need to learn Japanese--want to for a variety of reasons, need to to fulfill one of the two language requirements for postgraduate English study. Also, all my friends are scattered across the country now, I don't want to begin grad school so quickly, staying at home and taking another job does not sound like a great option, and finding another job and moving to another part of the US would be just as much of a crapshoot as staying in Japan. I guess like a lot of people, I think in a year, i wouldn't have that much to come home to just yet.

I'm saying at least one year to anyone that asks...but unless something comes up that I can't pass up or I really don't like it, I don't see why I wouldn't stay for 3 years.

Well I'm sort of planning on staying two years, but I'll have to see how it goes when I actually get to Japan, obviously. It seems like a long way to go and a big adjustment to make to move to Japan, and then if I were only to stay one year I would feel sort of like I was leaving just as I was starting to feel comfortable--but hell, I'll play it by ear. If I hate it I won't stick around just because I had planned on staying longer. Odds are I'll be in Japan 2-3 years though.