Thread: Free time?

Default Free time?

Do you current JETters have the evenings to yourself or do you get home after school and have to do more prep? The change from student lay about to full time employee could be a bit of a shock! I realise ESID bla bla bla but i wanted to get a rough idea of what to prepare myself for!
    Thanks

Ally

in most cases you are not expected to work after school and prep at home. it's not in your job description or contract.

free time is abundant and you'll find yourself twiddling your thumbs an awful lot at school. find a hobby, learn Japanese, or take an online course to pass the time.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

I have an elementary school lesson that I have to prep every week (Its the only thing I prep)...I normally do it at school, during a free period, so I dont have to do it at home but Ive never had to stay late to prep it...

As shoto said youll probably have a good deal of free time while your here...so find a way to occupy it!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

You could apply for the advacned 'Pretending to look busy while actually doing fuck all' course that most Japanese teachers have taken to phd level.

You will have free time at school, especially if you work well when you have work to do.
    Many teachers at my school dont work well, and they end up staying late. They stay late for 2 main reasons. Firstly because it looks good. Secondly because they dont really work very fast. Thousands of cups of tea need to be brewed, lots of gossip needs to be had, small bits of paper need to be carried around the corridors.

Anyway. Unlessyou are extremely unlucky, or insanely meticulous in your preperations, the evenings are your own.

I got a second job teaching at a language school 1 evening a week. I also have 3 private students of my own.
    Of course you are not suppossed to do this.

you get paid for this extra stuff i hope?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by Shotokai
    in most cases you are not expected to work after school and prep at home. it's not in your job description or contract.
    This one cracked me up. Doing work at home was never in my job description or contract as a teacher here, but I've always done at least an hour every evening. I've 'officially' finished at my current school, but had a 4 hour meeting today with my successor to go through the courses with him.
    Looking forward to having evenings to myself. After 10 years it will be a rare novelty. I imagine sitting in front of the TV going "What? I can just concentrate on what I'm watching and that's it?" Bring it on!

Oh, so can you not take private lessons??? Hmmm, i thought i would have been able to do this :?

wicket, do you have any idea at all if i would be able to do a postgrad in teaching (primary) in australia even though i'm from Scotland?
    I read in your profile that you teach english, japanese and philosophy!!! Much respect from me!! 8)

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by morgs
    Oh, so can you not take private lessons??? Hmmm, i thought i would have been able to do this :?
    If you mean take private japanese language lessons, then yes you can...you cant teach extra english classes outside school, though some people do anyway...
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

wicket, do you have any idea at all if i would be able to do a postgrad in teaching (primary) in australia even though i'm from Scotland?
    I read in your profile that you teach english, japanese and philosophy!!! Much respect from me!! 8)
    I know some Canadians that got their graduate diplomas in education at my local university, so I doubt that people from the UK would have any problem. It's just a matter for the university to recognise your 'international' degree and for the department of education (for whatever state or territory the university is located in) to give approval for you to work in schools (something like a working with children safety check).

Also, they (the dept of edu) look at your undergraduate degree to see if it is appropriate training towards a teaching position (ie. if you wanted to be a maths teacher you would have needed to done a mathematics undergrad major), before you get approval to start the Grad. Dip. of Ed. Since you're wanting to get teaching qualifications for primary education, I don't think that will apply to you.

You'll probably get better info if you contact the education faculty of whichever university you're interested in though. ops: Here is a directory of Australian universities if that helps.

Meerkat that's brilliant! :-D Cheers for the help.
    Doomer why are JETs not allowed to teach private eng lessons? Is it something to do with tax?

Government employees aren't supposed to moonlight, that's the case in Australia anyway, I don't know if that's a worldwide thing.

Ah, that maikes sense ops:

I'm not wicket but I am currently grading essays of student teachers ...

The University of Adelaide has a one year Grad Dip in Education that will qualify you to teach high school if you have a BA or BSc with a couple of majors that correspond to high school subjects. Other unis in other states probably have something similar. It's not much of a course but it's quick to get through and you learn more on prac than in the classes anyway (I did it last year).

A Geordie friend of mine (who did 3 years on JET around the same time as wicket's first tour, then another 6 with private companies in schools in Japan - has a Japanese wife) did the course with me last year. He had to pay full fees, that's the standard deal. Do that and they will love you. Do the Masters in Educational Studies for 2 years after that (again, full-fee) and you'll get residency in Australia if you do all the work requirements as well .... I call it "the visa course". All of the students doing it are full-fee paying internationals. He's doing it now. The only native speaker, the rest are either Chinese or Indian with the exception of one French woman. Expensive but if you really want to live in Australia then it's an option. Myself I'm keen to live somewhere else!

Primary school teaching is generally 4 years degree.

Yeah I get paid for it.
    I charge the going rate which is about 3000 per hour.
    I do the classes from my place so its really easy.
    A student comes we do a class for an hour and they give me 3000.

burglar thats fantastic info!! Cheers for that, i will check that out just now! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by burglar
    Primary school teaching is generally 4 years degree.
    There are some universities in NSW that offer graduate diplomas in primary education that only take 1 academic year (but over 36 weeks/3 trimesters as opposed to the usual 2 semesters per year), and some that offer graduate bachelors in primary education that take 2 years to complete. I guess whether or not morgs would need/want to spend 1-4 years getting post-grad qualifications for primary teaching would depend on what her undergrad degree was and/or how long she actually wants to be studying here.

Meerkat- i'm not too sure what i want...just really keeping my options open. In UK, well i can only really speak for scotland, you just need a 3 year bachelor degree in any subject and you are eligible to apply for primary school teaching. However it is still so competative to get into it because so many people want to do it. This would be a much easier and i can tell you alot less expensive option. However to study in Australia woudl be amazing. I will see how much dosh i can during JET.