View Poll Results: Do you have Eikaiwa Friends?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Maybe so

0 0%
  • I'm not in Japan yet, but I can't wait to make friends with everyone!

0 0%
  • 100 100.00%

Thread: Eikaiwa Friends

Default Eikaiwa Friends

Do you have any? Differences aside (whatever that means) do their nocturnal teaching habits make them a difficult bunch to hang out with? I guess they frequently have to work weekends?
    Yield to the willow/All the loathing,/All the desire of your heart. -Basho

Eikaiwa people generally, and quite rightly, despise JETs.

In many cases its What's so special about you? Why didn't they pick me? syndrome.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Oh dear. My predecssor tells me there are other JETs as well as NOVA people living in the apartment building I'm going to. Why can't we all just get along? (Or at least drink beer together).

Nah, usually we just are mutually jealous of each other. JETs wish they can actually teach and/or modify their own teaching plans. Eikaiwa employees wish they could work normal hours and get paid more.
    Pau

Default buddy-buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiiantime
    Nah, usually we just are mutually jealous of each other. JETs wish they can actually teach and/or modify their own teaching plans. Eikaiwa employees wish they could work normal hours and get paid more.
    So you do manage to hang out and address such topics?
    Yield to the willow/All the loathing,/All the desire of your heart. -Basho

VIP

I hang out with NOVA teachers at bars sometimes. Most of them are reasonably satisfied. They get to move around a lot, generally live in more central locations, and can vary their job.

I just make sure to complain about daily kanchos to stop them getting too jealous about my pay and working hours, and we get along fine.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

I've met a few NOVA people here and they were very happy with their jobs! I still usually hang out with other JETs, but that's just because of the social events and the fact that we're in similar situations.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I dont see my Eikaiwa friends as much as I do the other JETs, but I do run into them at the bars frequently. They seem pretty happy and all. Tho some of them pick up part time jobs bartending and such. I asked if they weren't paid enough, and the answers were along the lines of "no, i just want to meet more people."

Kinda wish I could get a bartending job, I think it would be nice to pull in a bit more money and learn bartending flair.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey
    Eikaiwa people generally, and quite rightly, despise JETs.

In many cases its What's so special about you? Why didn't they pick me? syndrome.

That's a pretty fair enough attitude.

I'm not even in Japan yet and I've found myself saying the same thing apart from the last bit.

Default Re: buddy-buddy

Quote Originally Posted by occidental_xiaojie
    So you do manage to hang out and address such topics?
    Yeah, its hard because the newer Eikaiwa teachers usually have to work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule. When we do hang out now, we hardly talk about work. In the beginning it was a lot of "we do this" and "you do that" kind of thing.

As Matt pointed out "fingers up the butt" stories, stops any Eikaiwa teacher from envying our jobs.
    Pau

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

i have a few jet friends and i know a few non-jets as well, but some of my best friends are just the japanese guys and girls i meet and hang out with sometimes....and boy if they dont speak english it is a good way to learn japanese too....

mark!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80
    ...some of my best friends are just the japanese guys and girls i meet and hang out with sometimes....and boy if they dont speak english it is a good way to learn japanese too....

mark!
    or else it's a good way to spend ten minutes awkwardly looking at each other while thinking of elaborate escape plans.

Whilst I am friends with both some other JETs and some private teachers, most of my foreign friends are neither. I have noticed that the guys working private schools who are fresh off the boat tend to be the one with a chip on their shoulder regarding JETs and similarly it often seems the the newer JETs are the ones walking around feeling smug, both attitudes of course cause friction that lingers for a while. PEople who have been around a litttle longer, generally seem cluey about the realities of the different natures of the two jobs.

Pandilex

I'm friends with only 1 foreigner in my city. If I wanted to chill out with annoying loud foreigners I can do that in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    I'm friends with only 1 foreigner in my city. If I wanted to chill out with annoying loud foreigners I can do that in the UK.
    We breaking your zen wa?