Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween lessons

Default Halloween lessons

Woot. A time of year we can milk for at least two weeks' worth of lessons.

What good ideas for Halloween lessons have you had, for any ages?

I'm getting my SHS students to research halloween history on the net and do a presentation of it. And my elementary kids are learning all the halloween words and colouring in pictures to decorate their class with.

Since we dont celebrate Halloween in SA, I, myself am enjoying the research. I am going to make it a super fun day for my Kui High students. Creepy music, maybe a ghost story comprehension, word search, games
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

that's another thing - is there halloween music?

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui
    that's another thing - is there halloween music?
    There must be a few versions of Mack the Knife or Monster Mac, or theme tunes for films all over the internet
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

erm, ghost busters and micheal Jackson thrillier, and i seem to remember a backstreet boys (oh the shame!) video set in a haunted house - i dont remember the song though, tehehe - check this link i just found, not heard of half the songs though! hehehe, wikipedia has officially replaced encarta on the super knowledgable front! happy searching...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Halloween_songs

daaamn that's a long list! going to have to look for a few of those...

Quote Originally Posted by becky1985
    and i seem to remember a backstreet boys (oh the shame!) video set in a haunted house - i dont remember the song though,
    "Backstreets Back" - My one Kui High student loves them!

Get them to write horror stories. Give each student the same start and then see what they come up with. I've had some real gems before!

For example, "Lucy was walking home from work late at night. She entered Hiroshima Station but it was empty. Suddenly, she saw..."
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Get them to write horror stories. Give each student the same start and then see what they come up with. I've had some real gems before!

For example, "Lucy was walking home from work late at night. She entered Hiroshima Station but it was empty. Suddenly, she saw..."
    Some of my students dont even know their ABCs, but that is a super idea

az

That's a good idea,

I also like the Continuous Story,
    the students are in a group and you again provide the first sentence then one student writes a sentence and folds it under then the next student writes a sentence and so forth,

at each step you can provide a theme for the sentence or a promt of some sort such as "she meets a man and says" or "then they go to a" etc, they can turn out hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru

Some of my students dont even know their ABCs, but that is a super idea
    Suddenly she saw...

CAT!

BALL!!

DOG!!!

There you go! That's a scary story right there.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

last year I did Apple Bobbing (my teacher found some really cheap apples!)

That was hilarious and even the JHS kids loved it.

I dressed as a witch in my first year and terrorized a couple of elementary schools. I played games such as "Wink murder" (a great one to get them to shut up!) and the "sandman" game.

I also did a Halloween spot the difference where they had to ask each other (in pairs)

"Is there a ____ ___ the ____?

ie, is there a ghost behind the gravestones?"

(behind, under, on, by, near etc)

They were learning position at the the time which was handy.

A friend told me about a Harry Potter game which you can find on Genkienglish.com but I've not tried it yet.
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

Quote Originally Posted by az
    I also like the Continuous Story,
    the students are in a group and you again provide the first sentence then one student writes a sentence and folds it under then the next student writes a sentence and so forth,

at each step you can provide a theme for the sentence or a promt of some sort such as "she meets a man and says" or "then they go to a" etc, they can turn out hilarious

I tried that on my genkiest, smartest class this week, and it completely bombed. I was so disappointed. They just couldn't understand why I thought it was funny. Even my English teacher didn't really get it. Maybe I'm aiming to high for my school. Hope it works better for you.

I've got two movies for my classes (Nightmare Before Christmas and Sleepy Hollow), and I'm organising a Tutankhamen's tomb. You take a few shoeboxes, and cut a whole in the side of each one, just big enough to fit a hand in. Then you put lovely icky things in each one, and ask the students to put their hand inside the box. Then you tell them it's Tutankhamen's eyes (peeled grapes), lips (sliced tomato), brains (tofu), hand (glove stuffed with carrots) and so on.

GenkiEnglish's Funky Mummy also looks like a winner.

az

Maybe you just made it too difficult for them

If you got a way to simplify it for me, feel free. I'd really like them to enjoy it, since I know it can be really cool when it works.

The headings I gave them were:
    1) Where did it happen:
    2) What happened:
    3) A boy:
    4) A girl:
    5) He said:
    6) She said:
    7) Consequence:

They understood all the categories (even consequence), and could fill in understandable answers, but they just didn't get the humour of non-sensical english. I tried teaching nonsense rhymes to one of my students. She understood that I thought they were funny, and understood that they purposely made no sense, but didn't really see the humour. Maybe it's the whole mistakes-are-bad attitude again.

az

Ah I see, yeah humour is a hard thing I guess. Did they know that it was supposed to be funny from the beginning?

yup.

oh well, maybe I should try it again towards the end of the school year. maybe once they're a bit more used to my sense of humour, it'll be easier to work out.

the mummified decomposing body parts thing is going to own. nothing kids love more than the gross factor.

humour is a language thing, and it's generally really subtle. even my teachers don't get when i'm being funny unless i make it really really obvious. likewise, i don't get why some of the things they say are funny.

as for the continuous story... tried it on my crappy class by just giving them a picture, then each person had to write a sentence about it, fold the paper over and pass it to the next person. apparently the sentence idea was a bit crazy because on of the end results was something like:
    "kissu
    love
    pretty
    hello
    (something in kanji)
    SEX!
    ahhh... deep love"

so that didn't work. :P but at least they laughed when i told them they were a bunch of horny bastards.

I just did a lesson with my worst class (zero English knowledge and zero motivation), using the Halloween flashcards from ESL Flashcards (http://www.eslflashcards.com/preview.php?id=7) - I printed one set up in A4, and copied a set of the small ones for each student. Put the A4 ones up on the board and let them guess what the things were, and write down the names on their small version.

Then I used the "What are you going to be for Halloween?" conversation worksheet from Boggles World (http://bogglesworldesl.com/conversat...ngAsAWitch.doc), and let them go around the class asking all their classmates what they were going to be for Halloween. I also went around and asked each of them what they were going to be, and they had to answer in "I'm going as..." format.

It worked surprisingly well. I think it's my first class with them that hasn't completely bombed. So if you have a class with, as I said, no English and no motivation, this is a good lesson to use.

Mine lasted the full 50 minutes. If your kids are slightly brighter or genkier, I had a halloween word scramble too (just take the vocab from the flashcards above and scramble the words up. They have to unscramble them).

by the way... (sorry for spamming)... i just found this other word scramble, but it doesn't have the solutions. it's not really for a class, but it's bugging me. can anybody help with:

1) ngodenu
    2) iremtgahn
    3) utdenha
    4) tomuecs

??