Thread: requesting: may I

Default requesting: may I

I've got a OC lesson next week, and my JTE insists on using the annoying outdated textbook, but I managed to get her to agree to do a game if it's based on the current textbook lesson. The only thing I could glean was a section on requestion permission to do things (may I ..., do you mind if..., is it alright if...). Not exactly something I'd like to teach students who can barely introduce themselves, but what can I do.

So, anybody got game ideas for me involving requesting permission? I was thinking about really polite Go Fish. It's a grade 12 class, really lower academic.

Back in the day we did permissions using a battleships set up.
    May I, Can I etc down one side of the grid, then easy classroom speak along the top (borrow your eraser, share the book etc) After the usual drawing of secret submarines & warships etc, battle could commence.

If they hit a target by asking "May I borrow your eraser?" the other student replied "yes you can" if there was no hit then the reply is "no you can't"

Really simple. The students LOVED it!

The harddest part was explaining it. Though my JTEs were a great help as were the giant board sized versions of the game handout I made for demonstration purposes.

Hope this makes sense, my computer is having it's afternoon spaz attack so I'm trying to keep things concise.
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

Awesome, thanks. That sounds so much better than the lame bingo thing I had planned.

Time to turn on the charm and see if I can feed it to the JTE.

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

When we were kids, we played a game called "Mother May I?"

One kid is the Mother, and the rest are children. The mother stands off at a distance, and the kids stand together at the start line.

The make requests like, "Mother may I take five giant steps?" or "Mother May I take nine baby steps?"

The Mother replies "Yes, you may," or "No, you may not", and then the kids move forward the number of steps.

First student to cross the room to tag Mother gets to be the new mother.

Do you have to say Mother? It all sounds far to creepy in a children of the corn/psycho kind of way.

What is an OC lesson? Is it full of cool kids from california?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I sort of remember playing "Mother May I" when I was a kid, but I can't really remember it well. How did you decided who can take steps and when? I forgot that part. And what's to stop you from saying "Mother, may I take 50000 steps?". That parts a little hazy.

I was a little git. If there was a loophole, I'm pretty sure I cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by kristybruce
    When we were kids, we played a game called "Mother May I?"

One kid is the Mother, and the rest are children. The mother stands off at a distance, and the kids stand together at the start line.

The make requests like, "Mother may I take five giant steps?" or "Mother May I take nine baby steps?"

The Mother replies "Yes, you may," or "No, you may not", and then the kids move forward the number of steps.

First student to cross the room to tag Mother gets to be the new mother.
    That sounds a bit like Wolfie Wolfie. My mind is hazy, so it is possible we played this in Afrikaans. But you had to tag the wolf before he turned around and caught you
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"