Thread: Teaching Experince/Work/Travel

Default Teaching Experince/Work/Travel

Hey all my name is Adam Manfredi and I am applying for the 2007 JET program. So getting my application all done and was wondering how to deal with one thing. I currently do not have any classroom teaching experience but will be substituting from Feb 2007 till I hopefully head off to Japan for JET. Not really sure were I should work this into the app or maybe just into the essay.

Also another question about the International/Intercultural Experience section. I just recently got back from a five week trip in Japan and basically traveled all over the place visiting 15 or so cities. Do I put each city I visited or just lump the whole trip in one or highlight certain ones I went to. For example I was lucky enough to have a home stay in the Shizuoka Prefecture in the sister city of the town I live in. I visited a number of schools got to watch some of the English classes, met the principle, superintendent, mayor and such (yeah they really rolled out the red carpet for me). The same goes for a six week long European trip I went on visiting a ton of countries and cities.

Thanks

I say for the teaching experience, don't put it in your application as that's mostly for what you have done and there's not alot of elaboration space (I'm also subbing during that time. Yay for subs!). However, mentioning it in your SOP is probably a good idea.

As far as traveling, I'm not sure.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Spell principal correctly on the application and you'll be right...
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Just put down the whole trip in the travel section but mention highlights - especially your sister city visit and especially if you want to be placed there - in your SoP. Good luck! Osaka is a sister-city of my home city. I requested Osaka prefecture and got it, so it's not a bad reason.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I would not put the teaching experience since you haven't started it yet, but you could mention it in your SOP or during the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Spell principal correctly on the application and you'll be right...
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Just put down the whole trip in the travel section but mention highlights - especially your sister city visit and especially if you want to be placed there - in your SoP. Good luck! Osaka is a sister-city of my home city. I requested Osaka prefecture and got it, so it's not a bad reason.
    How does Melbourne get Osaka and Sydney gets shitty nagoya?

There was only one girl from Sydney who went to Nagoya. I got placed in Okayama to help represent South Australia, a state I'm not even from.

double post

Yeah I'm going to have a ton of people look over the app for grammar before I turn it in so hopefully everything will be shipshape and so on. Thanks for the advice. I am going to mention the subing in my SoP and will just put the major cities I was in on the travel part.

Ugh I tend to get nervous when I am doing these kinds of things. Hate that feeling that I have to sell myself but guess that's part of the whole thing. I am good with interviews so if I can get that far I should have a decent chance, or so I tell myself. It’s good to see that others are also going through this.