Thread: teaching experience

Default teaching experience

I emailed my consulate about a separate question and decided to ask a question about teaching experience that I was positive they would say no too but thought I would include because i was already emailing them. I told them I was going to begin substitute teaching in February 2007 and if I should include that in the teaching experience the response was

"3) You can include for teaching experience if you want. It is your decision since this experience has not actually occurred."

Just found this odd. I don't think I will put it in my app. It's on my SoP and such so it's there.[/i]

I was wondering about something along those lines too. I wasn't sure whether to put my planned Christmas holiday to Dubai on my app, in the end I decided against it cause I already had alot of visits there in the 'international experience' section.

How many points do you have down under teaching experience so far?

If you have a few, then I wouldn't bother putting in planned experiences...they might ask you about it in your interview, and suppose it falls through or whatever.

If you're really desperate for something (which I doubt, if you have enough experience to be a substitute teacher), then add it.

"Experience to be a substitute teacher" can be "Have 65 college credits, from anywhere!" in some states. :P

And do trips to Canada for us USers count as international experience? Haha. (I realize, technically sure, but come on. "Oh, yes. I went to Canada! I had fries with gravy and cheese curds on top. And not even a side of culture shock!")

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by revenantkioku
    And do trips to Canada for us USers count as international experience? Haha. (I realize, technically sure, but come on. "Oh, yes. I went to Canada! I had fries with gravy and cheese curds on top. And not even a side of culture shock!")
    Maybe...but I wouldnt count it if it were my app...being from SoCal, same goes for Mexico (i live like 2 hours from the border...)
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

I included living in the States as international experience actually. The culture is different in many ways, despite us being very similar. I was even asked in my interview how I would explain the difference between the US and Canada to a Japanese person. My response that got a lot of nods of the head was, "I would explain we are more similar than different" and then some other crap.

Now Doomer,
    I would definitly call Tiajuana as an experience. Maybe not a cultural expericence but definiitely and experience.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

Sure it's international experience.

It does nothing for the japper perception that all gaikoku is the same place when we lump canada and the states together. Even less so when we lump mexico in there too, where the language is not even the same.

Shoot, most of the bunch from the US think of visiting Texas as an International experience. (Psst. and we like it that way.) Ask any self respecting Texan and they will say they are Texan first and the rest afterward.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TomB
    Ask any self respecting Texan and they will say they are Texan first and the rest afterward.

Having quite a few friends and some family from Texas ill support this statement as 100% true...
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

If you have even stepped one foot out of your home country, it's International Experience. Whether that be a jaunt into Tijuana when you live in San Ysidro or going to Vancouver for a day when you live in Seattle. I even counted airport layovers as such.