Thread: Christmas Comic Strips//Bulletin Boards??

Default Christmas Comic Strips//Bulletin Boards??

Hello everyone!

I'm putting together a Christmas board for next month. I found some really cute ideas on this site:

www.esl-lab.com/research/board.htm

(Give it a look--these are some GREAT ESL board ideas!!)

One of the suggestions was to put up a comic strip out of order and have the students guess the correct order. I like doing interactive things with my students because they tend to talk to me a bit more if I do.

This idea is really cute, but I'm having trouble finding strips online! I was hoping to find Charlie Brown because all of the kids love Snoopy, but after a bit of research, it seems like it was only ever a TV special and never an actual strip. Does anyone know if this statement is valid or not?

The only thing that I've seen is a single strip for Garfield, but it's not really "Christmas-y."

Does anybody know of any comics or have any ideas?

Also, does anybody know if there is an online translation of what Kwanzaa is? I got the translations for Christmas and Chanukah through Wiki, but Kwanzaa didn't have a Japanese translation.

Other ideas for bulletin boards: If you have a hyaku-yen shop, see if they have any supplies! I got all kinds of fun stuff from the one near me.

-------------------
    Also, if you're looking for generic board ideas, go to http://allcharts.org. I put it up last month for the first time and the kids went crazy. It has the top albums/singles in every country and when I posted my November board (I was doing how to say hello/good-bye/thank you in other languages), the CD that had sold more copies than any other in the world that week happened to be a Japanese singer named Ayaka. Her album was called "First Message" or something.

I have a feeling that Japan will be topping the charts again soon because Ayumi Hamasaki has a new album coming out this(?) week and the new Nana movie comes out next month. The singles for that (and possibly the movie soundtrack?) are highly anticipated.

I'm hoping that these albums/singles top the charts b/c the students LOVED seeing their country at the top. They were so interested! They also liked seeing what songs other countries like. They want me to put this sheet up all of the time now!

Just a suggestion, but it works (with Jr. High students, anyway...).

the thing about charlie brown never being a comic strip is rubbish - it was a cartoon strip called peanuts

and there are loads of garfield strips about xmas, if you care to go trawling through the archives.

i highly doubt there's a japanese equivalent of kwanzaa. it's probably just in katakana - クワンザー (or something similar, i'm sure).

az

eep, what is kwanzaa?

Otherwise, when in doubt, make your own. I have great fun collecting pics from film stills etc, and making my own comic strip.
    I :smt007 Peanuts
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Quote Originally Posted by az
    eep, what is kwanzaa?
    It's a secular holiday celebrated by the African-American community in the U.S. I don't know a lot about it, but it seems to have some similarities to Hanukah and Thankgiving. It was invented by this guy in the 1960's

It starts just after Christmas and runs for about a week. Wikipedia has a lot of information about it if you're still curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui
    the thing about charlie brown never being a comic strip is rubbish - it was a cartoon strip called peanuts

and there are loads of garfield strips about xmas, if you care to go trawling through the archives.
    Ahhh, I didn't mean that I didn't think that Peanuts didn't exist! I know that it does! I meant that I didn't think that the video for the Christmas episode was based on a comic panel because I was having trouble finding anything that mentioned that it was anything other than original. Sorry about the misunderstanding!

I will take a look at the archives. The site that I was on (not the same as the above URL) only had 30 days worth of comics on file. Thank you for your advice!!

[Oh, and I agree that there probably isn't an equivilant. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any translations where the Japanese attempted to explain the holiday in their own language. Thanks, though!]

Narniaru--I never thought of that before. I could definitely Photoshop something together. Thank you for the suggestion!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

クワンザ(Kwanza)は、1977年以降アンゴラ共和国で使用されている通貨単位。現行通貨の国際通貨コード(ISO 4217)は、AOA。略称は、Kz。補助通貨単位はルェイ(lwei)で、1クワンザ=100ルェイ 。 1クワンザ=1.45円である。(2006年8月4日現在)

1977年以降流通しているクワンザという名の通貨には以下の4種類がある。
    I found that but i dont think it has anything to do with what you are looking for, but i wonder if it had anything to do with the naming of the holiday???

seems to be the (Kz) monitary unit of Angola

mark!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/miekonaro/e/4e...4067520dc86433

http://www.nybct.com/2-46-kwanzaa.html

Some blogs written by Japs living in LA and NewYork - gives you the basic ideas

az

eep

Thanks for the ESL Board ideas! I have one at the Middle School I teach at but I don't think anyone looks at it!

Try www.comics.com www.snoopy.com www.dilbert.com

They should get you want you want.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.