Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: 2 questions

  1. #1
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default 2 questions

    1. how confident are you that you will get an interview?

    2. if you don't get an interview will you continue to post here?




    1. i am very confident i will get an interview. a bunch of people i know from my japanese class last year that applied got interviews. only 1 did not get an interview and he was an unconfident, unsuccessful student to begin with. he probably screwed up the application.

    2. if i don't get an interview i'll probably post it, then swear at all of you, and then disappear from these boards forever. :wink:

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gr8er Tokyo
    Posts
    798

    Default

    1. Unless there was an error on my application that I missed, I don't see how they can not give me an interview.

    2. I will cross that road when and if I get there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    -
    Posts
    785

    Default

    1. I'm a very optimistic person so I feel pretty confident that I'll get interview. Plus I put a lot of time and effort into my essay. In fact, I even had three different professors read it over. Overall, I feel pretty confident about it.

    2. If I don't get an interview, I probably would be hurt a lot at first, but I believe everything happens for a reason in life so I'll be alright in the end. Probably would still come back to the boards and read what everyone is posting, but I doubt I would continue to post as much, if at all, b/c I won't have much to contribute and be excited about.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sloshed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Shiga, Japan
    Posts
    590

    Default

    No matter how confident you are that you will get an interview there is -no- guarantee. There have been applicants that have gotten an interview one year and were made an alternate and then applying the next did not even make it to the interview stage. And overall those who apply a second year are liklier to get in than those who apply the initial year according to various sources (JET coordinators, interviewers).

    The application tends to have a random part to it... likely due to those who are hired to go through the applications (a 3rd party company) might not grade them all on the same scale since they have different people/parties sets of applications. Aside of those it is just human nature to grade things differently depending on our mood (bad day, or tired from grading the bloody applications so you begn just putting randomish grades on them).

    Overall my personal view of the application process is to skim off those who don't follow the rules and instructions. Yet those who have done everything flawlessly have still been turned down for the interview.



    But as for your two questions.

    1. I am wary of being confident in case I get struck by the randomness of it. I believe that I will get to it and I am confident that I will do well at the interview this year, esspecially with all the first-hand things I learned last year. But... I do know that there is no guarantee.

    2. Yes but not immedietly. I would likely begin posting once I am on my way to Japan. I have talked with a couple other organizations and have gotten to know the people so I have good chances on my backup. The only reason I am doing JET instead is because it suits me far better.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gr8er Tokyo
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloshed
    No matter how confident you are that you will get an interview there is -no- guarantee. There have been applicants that have gotten an interview one year and were made an alternate and then applying the next did not even make it to the interview stage. And overall those who apply a second year are liklier to get in than those who apply the initial year according to various sources (JET coordinators, interviewers).

    The application tends to have a random part to it... likely due to those who are hired to go through the applications (a 3rd party company) might not grade them all on the same scale since they have different people/parties sets of applications. Aside of those it is just human nature to grade things differently depending on our mood (bad day, or tired from grading the bloody applications so you begn just putting randomish grades on them).

    Overall my personal view of the application process is to skim off those who don't follow the rules and instructions. Yet those who have done everything flawlessly have still been turned down for the interview.
    Where do you get your info? Do you know someone on the inside?

  6. #6
    Senior Member TomB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Now you all realize that when they get all the applications they throw them into the air. The ones that land on the desk get interviews. The rest are swept up and thrown away.

    Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    86

    Default

    1. Of course I'm confident of getting an interview, otherwise I wouldn't have applied...

    2. Probably not- what would be the point?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sloshed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Shiga, Japan
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackChef
    Where do you get your info? Do you know someone on the inside?
    Lots of obsessive compulsive research last year. Also questions asked to my consulate and another. Also inquiries to Clair, the Japanese Embassy, and MEXT (Ministry of Education in Japan).As well as observations taken over previous two years.

    This year I am trying not to spend time obsessing. Looked at some video blogs and journals from the new JETs this year (They have been there four months now) and its got me a little antsy wanting to look at more. Going to avoid spending much time on it till I get an interview notification.

  9. #9
    Senior Member saritajuanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chicago ---> NW Kyushu
    Posts
    647

    Default

    1. If I did my application right, I think I can at least get to the interview stage. If I don't get an interview, probably going to be very upset.

    2. I probably would not post here again unless I decided to reapply next year

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Noshiro, Akita, Japan
    Posts
    424

    Default

    I'm really hoping for an interview, but I'm not 100% sure I'll get one. When I decided to apply to JET, I consulted one of the Asian Studies professors at my university who happens to be one of the interviewers in New York. He walked me through the basic outline of the application and gave me roughly average points for each section, except where I didn't get any points at all (for example, I've never studied abroad, so I couldn't get points for that). The cut off, he said, was 50 points, and we estimated that I'd get a 48 right off the bat. Because of this, I worked hard to appear above average in the areas I could (for example, the average on the Statement of Purpose is 25 pointsish, so I worked hard to hopefully make it worth closer to the full 35 points it's worth). So I hope I get an interview, but I will not be surprised if I don't. I will, however, be disappointed, because the prof I visited told me he thinks I would ace the interview because I have a "great personality".

    I don't know whether or not I would keep posting, but I would certainly come back and read once in a while to see how everyone else who applied did. I'd want to know who made it to the interview stage, who got selected, etc.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gr8er Tokyo
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caito
    I'm really hoping for an interview, but I'm not 100% sure I'll get one. When I decided to apply to JET, I consulted one of the Asian Studies professors at my university who happens to be one of the interviewers in New York. He walked me through the basic outline of the application and gave me roughly average points for each section, except where I didn't get any points at all (for example, I've never studied abroad, so I couldn't get points for that). The cut off, he said, was 50 points, and we estimated that I'd get a 48 right off the bat. Because of this, I worked hard to appear above average in the areas I could (for example, the average on the Statement of Purpose is 25 pointsish, so I worked hard to hopefully make it worth closer to the full 35 points it's worth). So I hope I get an interview, but I will not be surprised if I don't. I will, however, be disappointed, because the prof I visited told me he thinks I would ace the interview because I have a "great personality".

    I don't know whether or not I would keep posting, but I would certainly come back and read once in a while to see how everyone else who applied did. I'd want to know who made it to the interview stage, who got selected, etc.
    You have to tell us more about this point system.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Noshiro, Akita, Japan
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Actually, I was sworn to secrecy

    I'm totally not kidding.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gr8er Tokyo
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Come on, I won't tell anyone.
    How does it work?
    Do you get a point for every Japan related class you take?
    How many points do you get for studying abroad and studying in Japan?
    What is the point range on the SoP?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Noshiro, Akita, Japan
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackChef
    Come on, I won't tell anyone.
    How does it work?
    Do you get a point for every Japan related class you take?
    How many points do you get for studying abroad and studying in Japan?
    What is the point range on the SoP?
    Hmm. Can I answer these questions without getting in trouble, I wonder?

    You don't really get a point for every little thing - rather, there's a maximum number of points for each subsection. For example, the maximum points you can get for Japan-related study is a (certain amount of points). Overseas travel counts for another (certain amount of points). (I'm debating whether or not I want to tell you how many points each section is worth :wink

    The Statement of Purpose, however, is DEFINITELY the heaviest-weighted item on the application. Nothing else even comes close to how many points the SoP is worth. The next nearest thing is how many points for two good reference letters, but it's worth less than half of what the SoP is worth.

    Overall, there's a possible 100 points you can score, but I think it would be mad hard to get all of them. The impression I got was that the bottom cut-off is 50 points, meaning that if you scored between 50 and 100 points, you get an interview. Supposedly, this does much to narrow the playing field significantly.

    THEN AGAIN. This is just what I was told. Although the person who presented me with this was a JET interviewer, he was not someone who actually grades apps and decides who lives and who dies - er, who gets an interview and who doesn't. And I don't even know whether this method would apply to anyone outside the United States.[/u]

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gr8er Tokyo
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caito
    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackChef
    Come on, I won't tell anyone.
    How does it work?
    Do you get a point for every Japan related class you take?
    How many points do you get for studying abroad and studying in Japan?
    What is the point range on the SoP?
    Hmm. Can I answer these questions without getting in trouble, I wonder?

    You don't really get a point for every little thing - rather, there's a maximum number of points for each subsection. For example, the maximum points you can get for Japan-related study is a (certain amount of points). Overseas travel counts for another (certain amount of points). (I'm debating whether or not I want to tell you how many points each section is worth :wink

    The Statement of Purpose, however, is DEFINITELY the heaviest-weighted item on the application. Nothing else even comes close to how many points the SoP is worth. The next nearest thing is how many points for two good reference letters, but it's worth less than half of what the SoP is worth.

    Overall, there's a possible 100 points you can score, but I think it would be mad hard to get all of them. The impression I got was that the bottom cut-off is 50 points, meaning that if you scored between 50 and 100 points, you get an interview. Supposedly, this does much to narrow the playing field significantly.

    THEN AGAIN. This is just what I was told. Although the person who presented me with this was a JET interviewer, he was not someone who actually grades apps and decides who lives and who dies - er, who gets an interview and who doesn't. And I don't even know whether this method would apply to anyone outside the United States.[/u]
    Do you know if the point carry over, or does everyone who gets an interview start with a blank slate?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Noshiro, Akita, Japan
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackChef
    Do you know if the point carry over, or does everyone who gets an interview start with a blank slate?
    You mean, does your point total matter when you go in for an interview? Because I don't know. Though I assume they'd want to ask questions in places where you didn't score so high.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sloshed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Shiga, Japan
    Posts
    590

    Default

    The points from the application do carry over into the interview. Your overall standing is determined from the application points + the interview points.

    I wish I had done a -little- better last year. I was literally the -next- person who would have been sent over as an alternate, but wasn't. In short I was the runner-up, very depressing. So just a few more points in either would have gotten me in.

    This year I spruced up my application quite a bit more (adding pertinant information and making all the info easy to see and understand such as including the date and organization I got my tutoring certifications from... and listing my employer as the proper organization rather than listing my superviser (and forgetting to list the address/phone of said superviser).

    As far as the interview everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I locked myself out of the house (with suit and interview voucher still inside) for the first time ever. I had to break into my house through a window and injured myself in the process. I was running late due to extensive traffic and detours... thankfully I planned 3.5 hours to do a 55min drive. It took 3.25 hours. All the nervous energy from the previous 'fun' was still inside me when I took the interview so I likely spoke too fast and I took things WAY too literally. Lets just say my JET Coordinator (who I think is absolutely awesome) knows me just for my answer to a question that will haunt me till I go to Japan.

    "If you only bring one thing to Japan, what would that be?"

    I thought to myself for a few quick seconds that there is nothing I would TRULY need to be happy. That all I would truly need would be myself and I would get along fine from there. But I suppose the one thing I would need to avoid a national incident and to do my job would be... CLOTHES!

    Sadly I didn't do the monologue in my head and instead blurted out only the last word there. I heard naught but crickets. And considering it was mid-winter on the 16th floor of a building in the middle of Detroit it has to be REALLY quiet to hear crickets.

    A few other 'what was I thinking' moments were when they asked me to name three things about Michigan. I said:

    1. Michigan has a sister-state relationship with the prefecture of Shiga, Japan. (Score! Shiga was even one of my prefered prefectures).
    2. Michigan is odd in that it is a land-locked penninsula (My god what was I thinking?)
    3. Michigan... makes a lot of cars... (Well, used to and what a pathetic answer)

    Also when asked why I chose Nagano prefecture as my main preference I told them that I liked it since it is one of the most mountainous areas of Japan and is in the center of Japan. Their response was 'Well, Japan has a lot of mountains' which I didn't really have a decent reply to.


    So with all these insights into the interview I urge you all to learn from my mistakes and make completely unique mistakes of your own to entertain me when the interviews come around.

  18. #18
    Senior Member lazarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    549

    Default

    I know I will get an interview.

    From the Cover letter and references, I should get the max points.. As far as the rest pf the stuff, I put anything that I could think of which applied to the question.

    I know lots of the questions had a) - b), which I assume is there to give people the ability to answer the question (so I would assume if you answer both the a & b question, you won't get double the points compared to a person who answered just a or b).

    Once I get the interview, I will then seduce the interviewer(s) with my charm.

    Seriously, I think I asked enough serious questions on this forum so that I would have intelligent answers for any question which comes up during the interview. I'm pretty quick on my feet when it comes to odd questions, and I am really good at telling people what they want to hear (they look for a certain type answer for each question, so I don't challenge it).

    The interview questions on the site are very in depth and complete. I already started writing answers for them (since I am done school for the term). I will then study and practice them as it gets closer to the interview.

    I'm also reviewing the basics of Japanese history, geography, politics, education, rituals, the culture etc...

    If they ask me to explain my top choices; I have mint responses why each place offers me the same opportunities to maximize my ALT experience for both the students and myself.) *geographic reasons are not what they are looking for! They are probably going to judge your response on rural/city choice.*

    Anyways gl to everyone.

    I will definitely come back if I don't get in (even though the chance in small ). I am also interested in seeing who made the cut.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sloshed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Shiga, Japan
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus
    I know lots of the questions had a) - b), which I assume is there to give people the ability to answer the question (so I would assume if you answer both the a & b question, you won't get double the points compared to a person who answered just a or b).

    Seriously, I think I asked enough serious questions on this forum so that I would have inelegant answers for any question which comes up during the interview. I'm pretty quick on my feet when it comes to odd questions, and I am really good at telling people what they want to hear (they look for a certain type answer for each question, so I don't challenge it).
    If you covered all the bits and followed instructions for the SoP (name and page number in the proper format, proper margins and text size, etc) you should do well for the SoP scoring. I spent months combing and perfecting the grammar and material of my own SoP last year. This year I changed the first sentance slightly to adjust it to the present day (I have graduated rather than in the process of) but that was the only real change I made to it.

    As for the second part... excuse me while I smile wickedly and hum to myself. I felt the exact same way going into my application and interview last year. This actually is the main part of why I did poorly in the interview last year. Its also the biggest thing I am prepping for this year if I get an interview. Also the one thing I won't go into specifics for because my preperations are sort of my secret weapon to get ahead of my fellow applicants.

  20. #20
    Senior Member lazarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloshed

    As for the second part... excuse me while I smile wickedly and hum to myself. I felt the exact same way going into my application and interview last year. This actually is the main part of why I did poorly in the interview last year. Its also the biggest thing I am prepping for this year if I get an interview. Also the one thing I won't go into specifics for because my preperations are sort of my secret weapon to get ahead of my fellow "applicants.
    Can you give a little more details? You've piqued my interest! :twisted: *Maybe PM me? We live in different countries, so it won't affect your chances.*

    Anyways, I'll elaborate what I meant. Here are a couple of the questions demanding "specific answers" *IMO*
    51) How would you use your vacation time?

    "I always wanted to visit Taiwan, and China. I would use my vacation time to visit those countries. <--- IMO what I would say to a friend family, not something I would say in the interview. They want to hear something about Japan..

    48) You will be asked to attend enkais where people drink. It is an important part of Japanese culture. What will you do? Will you drink?

    "I enjoy parties. I am very interested in getting to know my co-workers outside of work. Since drinking is not against my beliefs, I would gladly indulge in an alcoholic beverage or 2 (especially if I don’t have to pay!). <-- haha, aside from that last sentence, it looks like a good response. IMO it isn't. They are definitely looking for something a little more detailed.

    46) What would you do if you were stuck in the middle of nowhere in the snow?

    Very interesting question with a specific answer they are looking for.

    30)Have you ever been in a fight?

    Obviously everyone has been in a fight (siblings, grade school, maybe having to defend yourself) etc.... This is a trick question. There is a special way to answer it.

    28)How would you respond to a Japanese teacher who is teaching profoundly incorrect English to their students in your presence.

    Special answer again. It's more like how would you approach them without embarrassing them, and how you would offer your English abilities as their tool..

    There are more, but those are definitely questions where they test your social abilities, and how you are capable at responding to difficult or foreign situations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •