Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview clothes?

Default Interview clothes?

I know you're supposed to wear a suit. I just don't own a suit so I'm going to go out and buy one. Does anyone know of a good place to get one that's not too expensive? I could probably only spend about $100...

And I'm talking about a woman's suit, if that makes a difference.

Go to Marshals or...hmm, I forget the name of the other place like Marshals. Get a polyester job. It will cost like $20 if you get lucky. If you get a decent looking one it will be perfect for orientation, etc.

Otherwise, let's see, the clearance sales must be over, huh. Tough luck, that. You are in the US, right? You might try Kohls. Otherwise, Target, of course.

I wouldn't go out and get anything too fancy, just something that can look nice.
    Yield to the willow/All the loathing,/All the desire of your heart. -Basho

Keekers, you're in Seattle, right? I used to like Express, when I worked office jobs. They had one in Westlake, though I think it may have closed? There're also ones at Northgate, Alderwood, all the major malls. Their website is expressfashion.com, as I recall.

Otherwise... Hmm, Macys, Nordstroms, though all of them are probably a bit pricy. Banana and the like are even more pricy. Then you can step all the way down to Ross or those types...

ETA: Express is looking more pricy than I recalled. Maybe not, then. Do like others have said, then, and check department stores. Or there's that great outlet mall up north, just before the border. Seattle Premium Outlets or something?

Yeah, I'm in Seattle. I'm going to Northgate this evening so I'll just look around there.

Haha, check out the mall - and then if it's all too pricy, check out the Ross across the street! Aww, I can still see it all in my mind... =/ I miss Seattle... It was a great place to live...

I heard they now have a Daiso in Westlake?! Man, I used to drive all the way to Alderwood...

Whoa, I didn't know there's a Daiso in Westlake, I don't go there too often. It's closer than Alderwood though, so maybe I'll have to check.

Lucky you - they list four in the Greater Seattle area, according to their website. There're none yet in the UK. Wibble...

ETA: Though Westlake is just a couple blocks from the CG....

So do women really have to dress in a suit? I had just been thinking a nice solid-color shirt and knee-length black skirt. That won't do? I was going on Japanese office attire from realistic movies...of course interviews might be a bigger deal than office everyday...better be on the safe side, I guess.

Do you think business pants would be accepted for women also, or should I just stick with a business skirt? If possible, I would prefer pants since its been pretty cold lately...

I don't see any reason why women shouldn't wear pants... I intend to wear pants, at least. I hate skirts.

As long as whatever you're wearing looks professional and conservative, I don't think it really matters what you wear. Oh..and for those opting to wear a skirt, be sure to wear nylons as well. Bare legs = not professional in most of the business world.

Quote Originally Posted by lilypad
    As long as whatever you're wearing looks professional and conservative, I don't think it really matters what you wear.
    Exactly.

I ended up getting a black blazer and pencil skirt on sale at JC Penney.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilypad
    As long as whatever you're wearing looks professional and conservative, I don't think it really matters what you wear.
    Agreed. I wore the most formal-looking shirt I owned and black pants, and they didn't seem to have a problem with either piece of clothing.

i wore

a black knee length skirt a white shirt and a grey cardigan (i dont have a jacket) with a nice broach on the shirt and heels. I wore that for my job interview at the bbc so i figured that would do for this interview.

az

Professional and conservative is a good idea. Also, for the interview if you have any body piercings, although it's totally a personal decision, I'd say take them out. I have a pierced lip and I took it out fo the interview but wore it at all JET functions after I was accepted. Better to be safe than sorry!!

i wore whatever it was i wore to work that day, cuz i worked half-day then drove out to the interview.

for girls (and boys, i suppose, if you have weird clothing tastes or strange extra body parts) - no stomach, back, thighs or cleavage. if you're going to wear a skirt, make it no shorter than knee-length, and wear stockings.

the only skin that should be showing is your arms and neck-up. :P

Fashion Show Time!

I'm really not super conceited. I'm just super indecisive.

Outfit 1: What I want to wear
    But I don't think I will.
    My friend told me to wear dark, conservative clothes, and hot pink is not really either. The flash doesn't do it justice. It is a moderately bright pink. But I don't want to stick out from other candidates in a bad way.

Outfit 2:Middle of the Road
    This is slightly outgoing -- the stripes are white and a muted silver thread. Eh.

Outfit 3: What I probably will wear
    Dark and conservative. Black and gray. Is this a bad thing? I am, after all, wanting to shine in their minds.

If anyone has an opinion or criticism, I'd be happy to hear it.

What about facial hair? I have a goatee, so I was wondering if I should shave it off before the interview or not. Many of my professors have beards and dress nicely for work every day, and I personally think it looks fine but I have no idea what the interviewers would think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS
    What about facial hair? I have a goatee, so I was wondering if I should shave it off before the interview or not. Many of my professors have beards and dress nicely for work every day, and I personally think it looks fine but I have no idea what the interviewers would think about it.
    As is the case with any job interview, just make sure it's well-kempt.

az

Yeah, I usually sport facial hair, but for the interview I went clean shaven I also have my hair in spikes but wore it flat fot the interview. I guess if you can come across as tidy then it's ok, but I didn't want to jepordise my interview in anyway.