Thread: I didn't get in - options?

Default I didn't get in - options?

Hello everyone, new member here. Applying for JET from the UK for the first time, male and old (in my 30s).

Just came in sick from work this morning and found a rejection letter from JET. Kind of expected it as it is almost the end of February. Not too happy how long it has taken to get a "no" (I'm based in the UK) as I have had to make real changes to my life in anticipation of a potential move, and the JET organisation won't go into what I did wrong, etc. Still, I'm determined to get into Japan somehow this year. I don't really want to wait around another year as I am into my 30s.

Does anybody have any suggestions about alternative ways in? I don't have any form of TEFL qualification - I would consider one but I have heard that Japanese organisations don't really care one way or the other. I have done a bit of research in that area and obviously Trinity or CELTA are the ones to go for. However I can't really afford to take the time out to get one nor can I afford the (almost £1000) fee currently. Are there any (cheaper) TEFL course options available in the UK that will help me swing a job teaching English in Japan?

Other than that, I know about eikaiwa. I also know that they aren't a great option (eg. NOVA). Is this true? Or are they really the only choice I have got if I want to get into Japan any time soon? To be honest as much as I want to get into Japan I can't really see the point of being a wage slave over there and poor, when I can do that easily enough here.

I really want to go to Japan, I have met loads of really nice Japanese people here (I work in a college) some of whom have gone back. Bizarre as it seems whenever I come across some aspect of Japanese culture (say a film) I get a feeling of homesickness despite never actually having been there.

Any opinions / experiences welcome....

Thanks!

VIP

Sorry to hear that, I'm surprised you know already.

I highly recommend going to the Japan forum at Dave's ESL Cafe. I know of no better place to get your questions answered, simply do a search on each one.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewforum.php?f=11

Thanks for your reply. Despite feeling ill (and downhearted) I have already mooched around and come across Interac. Has anybody had any experience with this company? Seems a similar deal to JET but with slightly less perks (ie. no airfare / key money).

TIA.

Yeah, im looking into interac myself, ive had my JET interview, but ive also got an Interac one next week too. (a back up)
    Ive looked online and found a few bad things about the company, (try google) which i wont go into here, but if you really want to teach English in japan and jet has rejected you, then it dosent look like you have much choice. Alternatively i would recomend that you do something this year to make your next Jet app even better, i took a tefl course with Bridge Linguatec (www.teflonline.com) which i dont think cost much more than £150 and i think that may have helped with my JET app. i think the oldest you can be for JET is 40, but it is officially a youth exchange programme so i dont know how that applies to you.

sorry to hear that you didnt get in, i too made a few major sacrifices just to apply, so i know how you feel.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

this is a little last min. but i know of a job opening from april 1st.

In Shiga Japan. Near Kyoto city and not far form Osaka. it is a Elementary school position in Higashi Omi Shi (previously like 3 or 4 cities combined into one recently) It is actually working at 4 different elem schools split up over the weekand the term. The pay is decent, 2000 yen an hour, 6 to 7 hours a day that adds up to 240,000 or 250,000 yen a month. They dont cover the ticket over here, and as of now i am not sure about rent subsity.

I can ask them some more questions, but it is really late at night now and i cant do it till tomorrow or the next day,

but here is the sticker.....if you want to do this PM me and we can talk more but i willneed a makeshift quick resume/CV in the next few days because i knwo of at least one other person trying for the job and they are sending theirs in tomorrow......

well sorry about the timing on this, but i wasnt thinking anyone on this site would want the job.....

mark!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by herjazz
    I have already mooched around and come across Interac. Has anybody had any experience with this company? Seems a similar deal to JET but with slightly less perks (ie. no airfare / key money).

TIA.
    Check out this:
    http://www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=15242
    and this:
    http://www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=9013

Conclusion:
    Interac is rubbbish, avoid.

thats amazing you got rejected that fast.

so do rejection letters get sent out first?

Quote Originally Posted by frankdux
    thats amazing you got rejected that fast.

so do rejection letters get sent out first?
    no, I think this one might be actually late. the poster, herjazz, didn't say he/she had an interview.

ah, i see.

Yes - to clarify, I didn't get an interview... Sent off the application on time etc but have only today received the letter saying "Lots of great yaddayadda... so sorry yaddayadda.... try next year (etc.)"

Sorry to hear about the rejection. Sounds like you really wanted to go

if you're thinking about Nova, here is some recent news that came up recently.

http://japanichiban.com/v-web/bullet...opic.php?t=877

Now, I'm sure that won't make NOVA go under, but it's still something to consider.

I would say other eikawas are your best bet. Once you get to Japan, you can start looking for better opportunities.

AEON, GEOS, NOVA< Interac are the big four. Search for them on Dave's ESL Cafe and gaijinpot (yes, it is a big cesspool, but dig hard enough, you'll get good info). The renumeration is slightly worse than JET's, but if you really want to go...

I get most of my info from reading forums, but if you need pointers to any threads I can try to help.

This http://tokyo.craigslist.org/edu/280393005.html seems way too good to be true. But not the only one on the Tokyo craigslist for english teaching jobs.