Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ...just a question...

Quote Originally Posted by monogatari
    ....Micronian, I swear I didnt mean to turn your topic into this.

But now that I think about it, had I been asked what I'd bring to represent American culture, I probably could have pointed to the Big Gulp on the table saying that if I could bring that, it'd be a great example of American culture. Along with the movie "Supersize Me".
    nah, don't worry about it. The only reason I asked was because the japanese lady barely ever looked up. She was constantly jotting down notes on a yellow piece of paper that almost looked like my elementary school report cards ...actually it looked more like those sheets your DMV examiner writes on when you take your road test, except with written notes rather than checkmarks. I thought I heard that when they write lots of notes, it's usually a bad sign.

I'm just trying to analyze every detail that happened. I'm feeling better than I did yesterday though, but I still think I used the wrong strategy: I tried to be serious and committed about the actual job, when they perhaps were just looking for a some regular dude who likes to chat it up about the latest episode of "survivor".

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by Micronian
    I thought I heard that when they write lots of notes, it's usually a bad sign.
    Well, I can't speak for your interviewers, but when I've been on panels I take tons of notes (although I do look up at the applicant from time to time!) - especially if I like what the person is saying. You interview so many people it's hard to remember enough to compare their interviews in order to separate close candidates later on if you don't write.
    If I feel like they have no chance I might half-heartedly scratch a few lines, but that's all.
    I don't think it's a bad sign. Not necessarily a good one, but definitely not bad.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

The token gaijin in mine was doodling at one point. He stopped when he saw me watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    The token gaijin in mine was doodling at one point. He stopped when he saw me watching.
    Maybe he was doing your portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by Caito
    Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    Maybe he was doing your portrait?
    OR (here comes optimism!) he was testing you! Yes, that's right, he wanted to see if you could catch a student not paying attention. You passed! Yey!

.....keep your hopes up and build good karma! I gave a friend concert tickets yesterday for the concert I had to miss because of my car. She said "How can I repay you??" and I said, "Just building up the karma till April...." Ah, I'm such a loser :smt005