View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aeon

1 0.90%
  • ECC

1 0.90%
  • GEOS

0 0%
  • Interac

1 0.90%
  • NOVA

0 0%
  • Other company not on this list

0 0%
  • 108 97.30%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The JET alternative Shoot Out!

VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Solarian
    To be honest, I'm too afraid to do something like that. Isn't it illegal to ditch your sponsor company and work for someone else? Also, a lot of them setup your appartment and stuff, so don't they kick you out if you leave? It seems like a good option after my contract has expired, but I just don't think I have the balls to ditch my main support mechanism and go job hunting on my own.
    It's not illegal, and many people do it. Companies try to discourage this by making you pay for stuff like 6 months rent in advance etc. Of course, if you live in company housing then you will be kicked out when you leave. So that just means that you need to look for houses as well as a job. Or your new employer might be able to fix you up. This is where having Japanese helps the most, but a japanese-speaking friend will suffice.

This method is probably not recommened for first-timers to Japan unless you're very self-reliant and confident. However, its less risky than it sounds, since if you cant find anything you just continue with your big 4 contract.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

My comment was a little harsh but all i am saying is that i dont believe there is a major difference between the companies. Interact sounds different, but you knew that. Other than that the other companies are like McDonalds and Burger King. There are differences but at the end of the day you are getting a burger, fries and drink.

My advise is to take any of them. Get over here and try to find a bunch of privates or a new job completely. I believe you will be very poor earning the sort of wage they pay living in a big city. 250,000 less taxes and market rent and maybe healthcare doesnt leave that much left over.

Im not trying to discourage you just giving my view. I wouldnt settle for earning US$600 gross and having all those expenses.

All the companies serve a good purpose. They get you over here and you have a job to cover the bills immediately. Prepare yourself to learn japanese and then try and better yourself. You will enjoy asia a lot more with a bit of money in your pocket. Just ask a bum in Tokyo when you get here.

edit:
    i also know people who love their eikaiwa jobs. They get to snowboard anyday they like. Some also earn plenty more than jets. If you are hot looking girl or guy who speaks japanese you are onto a winner in Japan.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by az
    I love working nights and hate dragging my aching carcass out of bed every morning- they only thing I would not do is work weekends- ever.
    I am more of a morning person, but I do have plenty of time to get my morning run in with the eikaiwa job.

az

Quote Originally Posted by switchie
    I love working nights and hate dragging my aching carcass out of bed every morning- they only thing I would not do is work weekends- ever.
    I am more of a morning person, but I do have plenty of time to get my morning run in with the eikaiwa job.
    Wanna swap?

Quote Originally Posted by switchie
    Wanna swap?
    Sure, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarian
    Okay, what about working at an eikawa vs. working as an ALT? Would you say it's more rewarding to work in a public school as an ALT? Or is it too much hassles?
    I wrote this back when I was working for GEOS (I'm now a JET).

http://www.ithinkimlost.com/modules....ghlight=#24337

Now having done both, I'd gladly take JET over GEOS. The students at GEOS were great. I miss being able to have actual conversations. Some of my students try, but it certainly isn't the same. Other than that now, I'm teaching, I'm making my own lesson plans, and I'm not selling. I feel a lot better about my job now than I did with GEOS.

Thanks for the advice, I thought about both choices quite a bit, and then after I had made a decision, I found out that I didn't really have a choice economically to begin with. I could never afford the startup costs to go with Interac, so I signed up with GEOS.
    I will be staying with them for the duration of my contract, because I'm simply not that much of a risk taker to seek other opportunities. However, my friend who wanted to come with me did not get accepted to the company he applied for. This thread gave me the idea, that maybe he can come on a working holiday visa, and find a job once he gets to Japan. I offered him to stay with me until he gets a place of his own, etc.. but I was wondering if I could look for a job for him before he arrives to simplify things and make it easier for him when he does get there. This seems pretty reasonable and straightforward to me, however, I've never been before, so I figured you'd know way better than me. Is this easily doable, or are we both in for a suprise?
    Willis, nani ni tsuite hanashite iru?

VIP

Yeah, you probably can. Your fellow GEOS teachers will likely introduce you to the local gaijin community, and you'll soon get to hear about what local independent schools are hiring etc.
    Mabushiii!!!

Awesome, he'll be glad to hear it. Thanks for the advice.
    Willis, nani ni tsuite hanashite iru?