Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Australian applicants.

I got one approved the other day (I have a different handle though). Haven't bothered posting there yet though... maybe when the summer holidays roll around and there's absolutely nothing better to do I'll start!

Anyway, there are a few Perthies in the early pages of this thread, so you could try PMing them I guess.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Hey Peter, good luck for your interview! Always good to see another "older" applicant who's also from Melbourne. Enjoying the heat down there? Coz I'm freezing here in Osaka.
    My better half is a 3-D animator (no luck finding additional work in that field here, though - he doesn't speak much Japanese). He's currently working at a kindergarten and loving it. I'm sure you'll be fine. They will probably ask you how you would deal with students who are reluctant learners or discipline problems (since with any luck those at TAFE actually want to be there). They might also ask how you'd cope being an assistant after having your own classroom.
    My advice is not to blurt out the first thing you think of in the interview, but take a second. Just a second, not 5 minutes!
    Who knows, if you're successful, you might end up with my spot; and it's a pretty sweet placement!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Well if my my job is anything to go by JET gives you lots of free time to pursue personal projects.

I was a student teacher before I came over here back in Sydney.

I think I study more now that I have a full time job than I ever did at uni! So you might get lucky and get a job like that giving you lots of free time to pursue whatever tickles your fancy. Pretty sure that that kind of situation isn't too rare among us.

Good luck.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Default Hi, I'm new here

Hi all,

I'm new here. Only just stumbled across the site by accident. What a great site!

I'm applying for JET 08 as well and schedule for interview on 13th FEB at Sydney Cons.. Not that long from now and I am scared shitless. :smt009

Has anyone been to interview in Sydney? What was the procedure like? Similar to the ones in the states? Any test before the interview? ( there are more posts online, in general, from people in US than there is in Australia. or am I not looking at the right website. if so please point me to the correct direction. ) Any great tips or hints for the interview will be gladly appreciated

Thank you all for your time.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Congrats, Besto! As far as I know there's no test in Sydney (there wasn't in Melbourne). One would assume they can tell from your SoP if your spelling and grammar is up to scratch, unless lots of UK and US folks have other people write theirs!
    Good luck on the 13th.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Default Re: Hi, I'm new here

Quote Originally Posted by besto
    right website. if so please point me to the correct direction. ) Any great tips or hints for the interview will be gladly appreciated
    Basically, don't panic. Take a deep breath before you say anything, and remember that it's okay to take a few seconds before answering a question, and "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer, but try to put a positive spin on things, eg: "Do you know much about Hokkaido?" "I don't know much, but I'm hoping to visit to learn more".
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Default Re: Hi, I'm new here

Quote Originally Posted by besto
    Hi all,

I'm new here. Only just stumbled across the site by accident. What a great site!

I'm applying for JET 08 as well and schedule for interview on 13th FEB at Sydney Cons.. Not that long from now and I am scared shitless. :smt009

Has anyone been to interview in Sydney? What was the procedure like? Similar to the ones in the states? Any test before the interview? ( there are more posts online, in general, from people in US than there is in Australia. or am I not looking at the right website. if so please point me to the correct direction. ) Any great tips or hints for the interview will be gladly appreciated

Thank you all for your time.
    Hi, I'm from Sydney.

No there is no test. If you've got any specific questions there's two Sydney JETs who post here so ask away and I'm sure we'd be happy to answer.

I can tell you how my interview went. It was on the same day as yours from memory even. I had a really nice interviewer, a cranky old bat and a Japanese guy that couldnt speak English.

The nice lady was nice, the cranky lady tried to make me sound like I was a worthless pile of shit for 15 minutes and I think the Japanese guy was falling asleep.

If you get her or anyone like her (I actually met her once I'd been accepted and she was a really decent person its just the way they conduct some people's interviews it seems) the key is not to get flustered, rapid fire back calm cool and collected answers and be able to back up your statements with evidence from your life experience. That's what I did and I was shortlisted.

If and when you get shortlisted you should attend as much of the JETAA stuff as you can. It's awesome fun and you learn so much more there than you will at any orientation in Japan.

Good luck.

Just to add to what Dombay said, the Sydney consulate people are awesome. They may try to appear intimidating during the interview, but actually they're pretty chilled out, so don't worry too much.

Most Sydney JETs I know, got a different kind of interview than I did. But, for me, (considering I didn't really have as much of a demonstratable interest in Japan as the others) they were really intent on testing my knowledge of Japan. It would be a good idea to follow news sites like www.japantoday.com or www.japantimes.co.jp . Actually, they trivia'ed the fuck out of me for some reason!?

They will probably be interested in seeing how interested you are in teaching about Australia, so you should think about things like how you would go about representing your country abroad, teaching about our history, culture and what not. They'll also have a lot of hypotheticals, so be prepared for that.

You can PM me or Dombay if you have any other questions...

cheers
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Default Re: what to wear

Quote Originally Posted by genericuser42
    Do you guys have advice on what to wear to the interview?
    I'm not really a suit and tie kind of guy, but I'm not ethically opposed to them or anything, I have one I pull out for weddings and funerals.
    I'm interviewing for the first time this year, but all the evidence I have ever read points to "you can probably get the job without wearing a suit, but why put yourself behind the 8 ball if you don't have to?"

Girls can get away with it, but if you're a guy, wear the suit or you're fucked.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Wear a suit. Oh and that couch you sit on the interview. Sit slowly! The next thing you know your head is around your knees.

+1. Wear a suit. Especially if you're not a suit guy.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Default Melbournian here!

Hi guys!
    I'm Karen and I just had my interview on the 7th
    Any other Melbournians here?