Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Learning Japanese

My recommendation:

1) Katakana. Learn that before anything else

2) Basic phrases. Learn them. Don't worry about understanding the grammar

3)Hiragana.

4)Basic grammar

JohnGalt, did you order the textbook in kana or romanji?
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

You can read books on hiragana and katakana as much as you like. But the best way to learn and remember them is practice, practice, practice. Find out their stroke order, write each character 10-20 times following the stroke order pattern. Then come up with a list of vocabulary you think will be useful find out the words in Japanese- and write.

As embarassing as it is, I learnt katakana by reading/ writing the names of all 151 pokemon in katakana over and over again.

Writing helps reading, though. The more you write, the more you'll be able to read.

Excuse my poor English, first.
    My English is too bad because there were no ALTs in my school when I was a child.

Anyway...
    I'd taught Japanese to GAIKOKUJIN at Japanese class as a volunteer for two years.
    Trough my experience, I could say you'd better start from writing and reading if you wanna study Japanese.

Lots of GAIKOKUJIN (specially people from western countries) don't know the biggest difference between japanese (maybe also Chinese) and your languages.
    Kanjis are ideogram and alphabets are phonograms.

I learnt English that I'd thought it was when I was a student from teachers who knew only writing and reading.
    Then I thought I could speak English, a little bit.
    I was absolutely an idiot when I visited to the US as a first time because nobody could understand my English.
    I didn't know how important the difference was till then.

Don't be an idiot like me.

Most of words in Japanese are made by Kanjis.
    Even Hiragana and Katakana were made from Kanjis.
    You can't master Japanese unless you study Kanjis and the best way to study Kanjis is writing and reading.

I'm a Japanese, but I always find lots of Kanji that I don't know how to pronounce.
    But, most of those time, I know what they mean from the shapes.
    First, I look at Kanjis, the characters, appearances and figures, when I'm reading or I recall Kanjis in my mind and in my head when I'm talking.
    That's how I can know what those Kanjis mean.
    Speaking and talking won't help studing Kanjis so much.

Reading aloud also helps fix the symbols in your brain. Write a sentence in the kana and then speak it out loud. Slowly at first and then repeat until you can say it at a normal speed without stumbling. Then go to another sentence and repeat until your brain is numb. It'll help with speed recognition of the characters - so you can read a menu or sign without staring at it for a full half hour. At least, this helped me with Cyrillic and Arabic. I'm starting to implement it with the kanas now. You'll sound like a five year old at first, but it really helps you in the long run. Once you have the characters down to second nature, vocab retension and translation are alot easier because the words will seem less like lines you have to memorize and become actual sounds. Writing definitely helps, but speaking it aloud as well just makes it go all the more faster and sets it in your mind firmer.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrit
    Reading aloud also helps fix the symbols in your brain. Write a sentence in the kana and then speak it out loud. Slowly at first and then repeat until you can say it at a normal speed without stumbling. Then go to another sentence and repeat until your brain is numb. It'll help with speed recognition of the characters - so you can read a menu or sign without staring at it for a full half hour. At least, this helped me with Cyrillic and Arabic. I'm starting to implement it with the kanas now. You'll sound like a five year old at first, but it really helps you in the long run. Once you have the characters down to second nature, vocab retension and translation are alot easier because the words will seem less like lines you have to memorize and become actual sounds. Writing definitely helps, but speaking it aloud as well just makes it go all the more faster and sets it in your mind firmer.
    Damn....now i finally understand your signature