Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate Support Group

Default Alternate Support Group

Yeah, here it is, for all Alternates to share tales of woe, backup plans, complaints, and anything else.

oh does anyone know; should i send my certificate of health thingy with my Alternate reply form, or wait to see if i got a place?

the letter says to only send your reply and passport copy, you'll only need the police check/medical if you get upgraded (though I would send off the police form to the police now as it takes up to 40 days to get the reply)

yah...I would wait on the health form until you get accepted.

So how many of you have already started working on your back up plans?

i'm sending in aps to Aeon and Nova, although those are trully plan B. The thing is, i don't want to graduate and still be a waiter. That would so suck.

And yeah, my consulate didn't let me know that the whole Health Cert. was to be completed after you've been upgraded in case you are not upgraded you didn't spend the money. So i spent the money. Yeay! Now I have to get in, otherwise, i'm never gonna see those $165 again.

I've got no backup plan for Japan. It's either JET or start auditioning my happy ass all over town and get to work at that being an actor thing. haha

So far I've applied to Nova, GEOS, and Interac. I'll probably apply to some others, too.

I've got an interview with NOVA (next week) and Interac (May). I hope that I don't have to go to either one!

As for the health form, the Chicago Consulate said that it can be submitted with the rest of your Alternate documents if you'd like. At my college, everything but x-rays are free, so I'm getting it taken care of before I graduate and have to pay full price!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

http://www.gaijinpot.com/job_view.php?jid=15091 I know that is just a gaijinpot site post, but i know for sure that they are looking for at least two people starting in august maybe sooner, not sure about visa and plane fare, but it is worth an email to there "contact us" link, they pay well....

mark!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

My plan B is just to save a bit of cash and head over to Japan a few months later. Get a job through one of my friends over there, I guess. I told myself I'd never do English teaching, but compromised for JET because it's a good deal, and I'd have time to study Japanese for a year.

So I don't think I'm applying for any other English teaching jobs. What kind of deal does Aeon offer? I heard Nova is against people learning Japanese, so that's out.

Ideally what I want to do is an exchange program, but I've already been on one, and I'm graduating this semester. Plus I want to get out there and start working, not just studying.

Initially I was against it, but I was really starting to get used to the idea of doing JET - time to work out how everything works in Japan, not have to worry about money and time to study Japanese. I don't want to have to depend on English once I start working in a real job.

Being an alternate is pre~tty sucky.

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80
    http://www.gaijinpot.com/job_view.php?jid=15091 I know that is just a gaijinpot site post, but i know for sure that they are looking for at least two people starting in august maybe sooner, not sure about visa and plane fare, but it is worth an email to there "contact us" link, they pay well....

mark!
    Looks like another job where you have to reside in Japan to apply. Oh well~~They do have a decent salary for this job though!

There's really nothing wrong with English teaching positions Negitorodon (great name by the way ), because once you get that visa and you're in Japan, you have the chance to apply to other great positions! Plus, just being there is better than nothing...because you can ALWAYS work on your japanese while living there. Especially in the everyday aspects of things.

I've spent my day being pathetically proactive - notary, fingerprints, chest x-ray... I feel lame for being so on top of something I'm not really approved for doing yet But like karatemolly, I'm taking advantage of student insurance while I can, better early than never eh?

I lost faith in JET after my interview so I took great pains for backup, which paid off since I was accepted to NOVA. Not gonna let JET decide my fate!!! AWrrarrrrrgghghhhh!!!

ah, no love.

Sigh... I knew it would come down to this. It's do or die time! Gonna withdraw all my cash from the bank and buy as many lotto tickets as I can. How many can I buy with $50??

I'm sure my chances of winning will be a lot higher than getting accepted anyway!

I actually really want to teach English in Japan. So JET was my top choice and now it's down to applying to all those private companies. People rag on NOVA et al but I don't care because it's just one year and then I'm free to apply to tons of better schools with a year of experience under my belt.

At least, that's what I'm hoping will happen. It would be really shitty if both JET and everyone else rejected me.

Eurgh all my plans have been ruined

I'm still doing exams but when they're done I'm going to look about doing something in Europe. Whether it's working in a bar for a year before postgrad or whatever. I certainly won't be here come the end of my lease.

I still feel like a bit of a failure though. Most things I apply for I always fail at the final hurdle so I'm a bit pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy
    Eurgh all my plans have been ruined

I'm still doing exams but when they're done I'm going to look about doing something in Europe. Whether it's working in a bar for a year before postgrad or whatever. I certainly won't be here come the end of my lease.

I still feel like a bit of a failure though. Most things I apply for I always fail at the final hurdle so I'm a bit pissed off.
    Ya, what the hell are we supposed to do while we wait. Argggg.

My only exam that matters is tomorrow, meh. I've mostly partitioned my anger so I don't fail it. Was also considering a europe thing though, that backpacking across it for a year is supposed to be fun times :P

Funny thing though, I think nearly everything I've applied for I've gotten. Thing is this is the first time I've actually cared, and look what happens. Typical.

Even if I don't get into JET, I'm not about to throw in the towel. While I"m not one of those "ZOMG, I'm Japanese in a gaijin body!" folks who's utterly desperate to get to Japan by any means neccessary, I've been toying with the idea of living in Japan for too long and metioned it to too many people to just give up on it.

Being suddenly shortlisted by JET, Nova, or just flying over and seeing what I can get for work, I'll figure something out. And if I fuck it up and I'm forced to sell myself on street corners to toothless obasans, well, at least I'm experiencing new places and meeting new people.

Even if they're only toothless obasans.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

If we never get upgraded I presume being at least selected as 'alternatives' would be a good mark against your name for any future JET applications?

Hmmm... well, personally I don't list it when I get an interview for the job but don't get the position... but you never know. Some people may take it into consideration, if they know exactly how convoluted the JET system seems to be.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

I don't think they consider your past status as non upgraded alt / rejected, but they add the possible "why do you think you (only got selected as an alternate/ got rejected)." to list of possible the interview questions.

If you pay attention here and on BD, you will eventually see some of the really unlucky people have really odd JET application records like wait listed / rejected without interview / rejected and such-like that doesn't make much sense.

There is however, on the application, that checkbox for if you've applied previously I seem to recall. It's probably to check for people who got shortlisted then backed out after they found their location.