Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Did any Alternates have their Interac interviews yet?

Default Did any Alternates have their Interac interviews yet?

Ok, I know this is a JET forum, but if I wasn't stuck between a rock and a hard place as an Alternate because of JET, I wouldn't bring it up. I just want to know how everyone's Interac interviews went, as today is April 28th, and I know Interac was holding interviews in multiple cities across the states.

Mine went pretty well. I guess I could've been a bit more genki, especially in the videotaped demo. I'm just hoping that Interac is less picky than JET. Of course, I'd prefer to be upgraded by JET, but I don't want to sit and wait with my finger in my nose until I get the call. I have to be proactive until I get something.

How did yours go?
    Mr. Jellineck: "Let him talk!"
    Stew: "Him who?"
    Mr. Jellineck: "Him ME!"

Yeah, the Houston seminar was today. My videotaping was sort of a disaster. The rest was okay. Oh well. We'll see, I guess.

What...they videotaped your teaching demo? Did you have to prepare a teaching demo beforehand, with really vague instructions like AEON? Or was it impromptu?

Damn that camera musta made you sweat.

What...they videotaped your teaching demo? Did you have to prepare a teaching demo beforehand, with really vague instructions like AEON? Or was it impromptu?
    I knew beforehand what they expected from me in the videotaped demo, so I prepared accordingly. The instructions were pretty clear; there was no ambiguity. You first had to greet an imaginary class like you would on any given regular day. Then you had to greet a group of JTEs as if you were meeting them for the first time (in Japanese, if possible). Then you had to drill the kids for 3 and a half minutes on the numbers 1-5, colors, or the days of the week. I just found it difficult to be genki while eliciting a response from an imaginary class.

Damn that camera musta made you sweat.
    Nah, I was more nervous with the fact that the interviewer was watching me make an ass of myself behind the lens of a camera. Apparently, the interviewer doesn't score your demo. Tokyo does.

Oh that doesn't sound so bad, at least they walk you straight through it.

AEON was just like: "Prepare a 30-minute teaching demonstration for beginner-level English students"

*chirp chirp*

That was it, had no fucking clue what they wanted of me.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticsoul
    Yeah, the Houston seminar was today. My videotaping was sort of a disaster. The rest was okay. Oh well. We'll see, I guess.
    I took your advice, and I did the videotaping last. But I think I felt weird with that camera focused on me, and my think my demo lesson felt rushed.

I guess I could have been more genki, but I just wasn't feeling it.

I took your advice, and I did the videotaping last. But I think I felt weird with that camera focused on me, and my think my demo lesson felt rushed.
    You got to choose when you videotaped your demo?

I got my interview in May. What did you choose for your demo topic? How did you decide to teach it?

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeface
    You got to choose when you videotaped your demo?
    The interviewer was really nice, she let us decide whether we wanted to do the videotaping first or the interview first.

Quote Originally Posted by kotatsu-sama
    I got my interview in May. What did you choose for your demo topic? How did you decide to teach it?
    I picked colors, because it was easy. I was going to do the days of the week, and bring in a calendar.

My interview with Interac went awesome. It was way more relaxed than JET, and the recruiter was so nice. He gave me a lot of positive feedback on my answers and my demo, so that was cool. I've had practice speaking in front of a camera so it wasn't so bad.

Being made an alternate has just made me question what's so great about JET? I guess the money is a lot better and they pay for your flight over and stuff, but other than that I can't think of anything that sets it apart from Interac. And according to the Interac recruiter, you're more likely to get your placement request and you don't have to be in school if the kids aren't in school, etc. I'm kind of torn now. :?

Quote Originally Posted by keekers
    Being made an alternate has just made me question what's so great about JET? I guess the money is a lot better and they pay for your flight over and stuff, but other than that I can't think of anything that sets it apart from Interac. And according to the Interac recruiter, you're more likely to get your placement request and you don't have to be in school if the kids aren't in school, etc. I'm kind of torn now. :?
    I was thinking about the same thing. It seems to me, that if you get accepted by Interac, they are willing to work with you to get your placement request or something nearby. It seems like a good way to get to Japan.

don't mean to be a killjoy but doesn't the interac contract only last until the end of march?

Quote Originally Posted by frankdux
    don't mean to be a killjoy but doesn't the interac contract only last until the end of march?
    Yeah, it matches up with the Japanese school year. I don't mind though. If I like it, I could recontract, if I don't like it, then that's less time I'd have to stick out with them.

If I don't hear back from JET by the time I hear back from Interac in 2-3 weeks, and Interac offers me a job, I might just take it.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Keekers, do folks on Interac get paid during the school holidays, if they don't have to go in? I'm assuming yes, but could be worth checking if you don't already know.
    Please wait for JET a bit longer... I really do think it's better than Interac, largely because of the community of other JETs and regular support meetings etc.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

VIP

I don't want to dampen anybodies enthusiasm for Interac, but personally, I'm not a big fan of who owns the company, and where the profits go, and thats the main thing that keeps me from considering them. Do some research to at least get an idea of what the company is about.

But I'm also, obviously, not a big fan of where my taxes go either, and I'm not one to not pay out of principle (yet). We all make concessions, and I'm sure a year or two on Interac can be just as awesome as JET.

Whilst applying for JET, i applied to interac. they offered me a job. i wa just sent an email saying well done etc and to email them in june to tell them my intentions so if you get an offer from interac, then email back saying you want the job (you wont have to sign anything until june or later) and then you can see if JET call by the time you have to finalise it?

Did anyone else think that "personality test" was pretty screwed up?? The more I think about it, the more positive I am that it was just written to see how much we lied on it, because they seemed to ask the same questions in different ways. The fact that I felt like I was contradicting myself often isn't a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticsoul
    Did anyone else think that "personality test" was pretty screwed up?? The more I think about it, the more positive I am that it was just written to see how much we lied on it, because they seemed to ask the same questions in different ways. The fact that I felt like I was contradicting myself often isn't a good sign.
    I studied a lot of HR issues, and this is one thing that we covered in my HR class.Almost all personality tests are set up to ask the same questions in d ifferent ways. Thats standard. There is no right or wrong answer. They just want to make sure your honest

Does Interac tell you where they will place you before you accept the job and sign the contract?