Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Did any Alternates have their Interac interviews yet?

You've waited this long, what's another month or two?
    A whole 'nother month or two! haha This waiting is agonizing, I don't blame y'all for starting to make other plans, it's just smart. I'm starting to think about searching for other alternatives to JET as well, though it's still my first choice. I think it's really unfair of them to expect us to sit on our thumbs until October, and not give us a straight answer most of the time when we call for information. You'd think they'd at least be honest if you're at the bottom of the list and suggest you make other plans or something. :/

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Do you want to be an analytical chemist? If you don't take this job, will there be others in the future? Of course!
    Well, here in Houston there are tons of jobs in the chemical industry for petrol, oil companies that need chemists. So it's not hard to find something in that field.
    Only problem is I don't want to keep putting off job offers in hope that I get upgraded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoshi
    You'd think they'd at least be honest if you're at the bottom of the list and suggest you make other plans or something.
    This is what I want to know, if you think there's no chance that I'll get upgraded, tell me so I can stop being paranoid and get on with my other plans.

Well, here in Houston there are tons of jobs in the chemical industry for petrol, oil companies that need chemists. So it's not hard to find something in that field.
    Only problem is I don't want to keep putting off job offers in hope that I get upgraded.
    I'm at the exact same stage now too! I have other companies calling because they are interested in interviewing me for an open position. I would like to move on with my life on find a job, but I would hate to accept a position only to get a call from JET 3 weeks later saying I have been upgraded. I am trying to hold off as best as possible for now, but it's so difficult. I don't even know what is the best thing to do anymore...

It would be a nice gesture if the consulates could at least give an update every week or two about how the alternate list is moving. But nope....

Anyone know what the big secret is with the consulates? Why keep all the alternate folks in the dark?

I suppose it's just a hassle, and if you're top of the list and don't get the next place (if say, the school has requested someone from a certain town or a woman rather than a man etc) it would cause arguments, so they don't bother. That's my theory anyway.
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

VIP

JET doesn't even promise shortlisters a 100% chance at placement (until they are), so it's not really a surprise. And I agree with Zan's theory, they can never say "you will get in", because the individual consulates do not have that information.

Can anyone post some info on the interview process for Interac?

I see that they have group seminar/interview schedules on their site now.

http://www.interac.co.jp/recruit/ove...schedule.shtml

Has anyone been to any of these? The Toronto date passed, so I'm considering going to one of the other cities if necessary.

I hadn't realized that Interac was such a large op until recently, so my interest in them's growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    Can anyone post some info on the interview process for Interac?
    There's quite a bit of info on this site, on this thread and some of the others. Basically you fill out an application form online, they contact you soon afterwards, and they tell you when the interview/seminar is. It's fairly informal. They give a presentation and go over the basics such as salary, benefits, etc. They will require you to do a 5-minute introduction/presentation (which is recorded by a video camera), and they give you the topics to choose from ahead of time (colors, days of the week, or numbers one through five). They then contact you within a few weeks to tell you whether you've been accepted. I think they accept quite a large percentage of those they interview, though I don't know the exact numbers. I was a nervous wreck and I thought my presentation was disastrous, but they accepted me without even contacting any of my references.

Thanks, I guess that I was just suprised by the 'seminar' part. Reading the recent posts made it sound like a kind of constant, open hiring concept, not the structured one that their site implies.

Default Re: Start up costs

Quote Originally Posted by keekers
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mimi
    I know that some BOE have apartments or houses for their JET ALTs, but I don't know if that would count for Interac ALT's, if they would get the same deal.
    I think they do get the same deal. Once you're hired by a BOE, it doesn't matter whether it was through JET or Interac or whatever. An ALT is an ALT.
    Interac ALTs have to find their own housing. I think part of the reason some BOEs are going to Interac and other companies instead of JET is to cut costs...and well, that's one of the costs. You most likely won't have housing provided/subsidized.

Also, Interac is different because YOU aren't hired by the BOE. You're an Interac employee. Interac enters into a contract with the BOE and provides an ALT for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kotatsu-sama
    Is an ALT VISA with Interac the exact same as the one ALT JETs get, which I believe is a "teacher" visa.
    No. It's valid for one year only whereas JET is for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticsoul
    They then contact you within a few weeks to tell you whether you've been accepted. I think they accept quite a large percentage of those they interview, though I don't know the exact numbers.
    I saw on some other site, this guy (I think it was a guy) who got rejected from Interac.

I was nervous as well and I thought my presentation was horrible. I don't think they contacted any of my references either. Or they haven't told me anything.

Default Housing through Interac

Just trying to make sure that the newbs aren't saying things they no nothing about.

Interac DOES provide you with housing assistance. They also act as guarantor, which is a must if you are a foreigner living in an apartment or mansion in Japan. Once you accept a placement, they send you over to the housing department. The OL I worked with in the housing department was great and she found me two places to choose from. I then told her which place I wanted and she sealed the deal for me. I didn't pay my deposit, first months rent, or agent fee until I arrived in Japan and went through training.

I had heard that other companies pay for part of your housing, but I did not want to become an indentured servant. I believe they are making bank off of those poor teachers that think they are getting a bargin. And the best part about getting your own place is that it is YOURS. You are not sharing it with other people.

The downside is that you pay anywhere from 210,000JPY to 310,000JPY to move in, but I saw it as an investment and knew I was going to be in Japan for a while. With taxes at only 8% and with the company paying my transportation costs, I was making much more money than I would have fresh out of college in my home country.

Default Re: Housing through Interac

Quote Originally Posted by Japansage
    Just trying to make sure that the newbs aren't saying things they no nothing about.
    That was sort of a mean opening sentence.

VIP

Japansage = shill.

Quote Originally Posted by zilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Japansage
    That was sort of a mean opening sentence.
    I don't think it was meant that way. Japansage is just trying to make sure we are getting correct info about Interac. I dunno about you, but when I was considering Interac, I didn't want "I think" answers, I wanted "real" answers. Plus, since not many of us have actually started working for them yet or ever worked for them, some of our information may be wrong. Personally, I am glad to have someone on this board who actually worked with Interac. They definately provide a different viewpoint than you would get with an Interac recruiter.

Anyway, I did consider Interac for awhile, but that is just too much startup money for me. There is no way I could come up with that much right out of college, and I didn't want to take their loan either. This is why I think eikaiwa is a better route for me if I don't get upgraded with JET.

Not a shiller, just an old gaijin who reads these blogs from time to time and I just can't help myself when I see someone write something that is simply not true.

Not trying to be mean either. No need to put anyone down on this blog, I just try to correct misconceptions.

Call it a pet peeve of mine...

Hey guys,

I just had my Interac interview today and I think it went really well. The interviewer was really nice and personable. It was more like having a conversation with someone - I know what you mean those of you who've already interviewed for Interac. He said I'll get a job for sure. It's just a question of where I'll be and they will do their best to place me with my JET bf (in Iwate). I have to say that I really like the way Interac handles their applications/recruiting - they get in touch with you very quickly and they will discuss placement options with you. And even though it was pretty weird teaching a pretend class, I like the fact that they want to see you actually teach - not base everything on a piece of paper and a bunch of questions.

Hi everyone,
    I too am sick of people badmouthing Interac who have no actual experience of the company. I was rejected by JET and have since been accepted by Interac. It gets boring hearing happy new JET's repeating what others have said a thousand times, yet have no real knowledge. Hey I would have loved to have got into JET, but we can't all be so lucky, so please respect that other people have had to go through different means. i chose Interac.

So far I have been very impressed by them. The interview process was stress free, and their customer service is fantastic. maybe when i get out there my opinion might change, but so far so good. They have been very helpful and genuinly hard working when trying to find me a decent placement. As a result they have placed me in Ryugasaki, Ibaraki which is great, only 40mins from Tokyo which is what i wanted. Now I'm a very exited individual. Hope to see some of you new Interac people in Japan!!

Ok, some bright news for those of you going with Interac:

They will work really hard to place you somewhere where you want to be. The recruiting department is the nicest of all departments. The training department is pretty fun too.

Also, even though JETs get paid more you'll get Christmas vacation, the couple weeks at the end of the year (in March) and August off. JETs usually get more vacation days but they have to use those days when they take off during most of these times. You'll get paid a little less for these times but it sure beats going into the office and just sitting there!

So see, not too shabby! Ganbatte! :smt006