Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "WTF am I doing" moment, one of many

Default "WTF am I doing" moment, one of many

Okay, maybe I should stop pre-emptively searching the forums for subjects like "cockroaches" and "homesickness".

But damn, I wonder about the logic of willingly settling in inaka Japan with noooobody around who quite understands me and vice versa ... to work in a school that may or may not be a reasonable place of employment for me. For a year.

This is gonna be interesting.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I was in the shower this morning thinking about Japan and all of a sudden the realization hit me that I was really going (and soon!) I've lived abroad before (Spain), but I had an advanced knowledge of the language before I left. It's a little overwhelming to think about how much of a struggle it will be at first to accomplish very basic things because of the language barrier.

At the same time, I'm excited and know that it will be a fantastic experience. But it is pretty intimidating to make that leap....

It's probably best not to think about it.

If you are a JET your BOE will do everything for you so no need to learn the language.

As for reasonable employment, well who gives a shit about that sort of thing? You get money to buy food and various other crap so no worries there.

Living in the inaka may be shit but as long as you have a bottle in one hand and a photo of sammo hung in the other you are never alone.

No need to be concerned, come to Japan and sponge off the taxpayers like everyone else. Its your god given right as a roundeye.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

this is coming from someone who's already teaching in Turkey? You're already a leg up on the rest of us in terms of leaving our home country behind and going somewhere completely foreign.

You'll be okay.

Until the cockroaches invade your apaato, anyway.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Exciting, isn't it?
    A year is nothing. I remember my first JET experience like it was yesterday (albeit through rose-coloured glasses) and it was over ten year ago (where did all that time go?)
    Even if you hate it (and you won't), you can do anything for a year.
    I was well and truly in a professional rut (even though I loved my job I was just too comfortable). I'm getting even more out of being a JET second time around.
    Bugs, humidity, earthquakes, snow... one day they'll just be fond memories and a stack of photos no-one back home is interested in looking at (coz they're jealous).
    Enjoy, you've earned it!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

It's so surreal that it hasn't even really hit me yet that I'll be leaving for a year. On one hand, one year doesn't seem like much, but on the other you realize that life goes on without you. Nevertheless, you should focus on the experience more than anything. At least that's what I'm doing.... I thought about not doing it but then I was asked, "Would you regret not doing it if you didn't?" That was what made me decide to do it balls to the wall no questions asked.

It hasn't hit me yet either...especially the whole balancing work, school, and bring president of my school's Japan club thing being a huge distraction. It's probably not going to hit us until the week before/night before/airport/land in japan/etc.

It's going to be a hell of a ride, my friends!

I've been so focused on finishing up the semester, that I really haven't given myself much time to think about JET too deeply. Now that's over with and I was just thinking, wow I've only got three months now to really get things settled over here, save money and prepare myself to leave. It feels a little bit overwhelming, especially with several trips planned and I still need to find a job.

As for the uncertainty --I guess that's what making this whole thing an adventure. I'd rather not know everything that will lay ahead, so I won't give myself the opportunity to worry about things I don't have control over. What really sucks is that I'll be leaving my boyfriend behind. I hope I'll be able to make it without him. Oh crap, now I'm getting myself going...I'd better just take this one day at a time.

I get waves of the inaka uncertainty and keep telling myself that it's all part of the experience and that jazz. But I got an even better motivator to think positive the other night. My friend doing the Peace Corp in Nicaragua sent us pictures of her latest abode. Included were pictures of her latrine (very clean, mind you) which looks like a stone pedestal throne in a wooden hut and her outside "shower," where the water sometimes comes from a pipe and sometimes from a bucket. I was then very happy that my concerns would be trivial things like whether the toilet is a ceramic hole in the floor or fancy enough to burn my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by GIBBY
    I was asked, "Would you regret not doing it if you didn't?"
    Nice. Relevant way of thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIBBY
    That was what made me decide to do it balls to the wall no questions asked.
    Ha ha! Will keep that as goal in JET . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Zee
    My friend doing the Peace Corp in Nicaragua sent us pictures of her latest abode.
    Yeah ... I don't think there's any way I could go Peace Corps.
    #1) It's two years.
    #2) I like my creature comforts (like not getting malaria, having indoor plumbing, etc).

That being said I'm sure a lot of PC'ers look at it as an "experience" with its own merits, just as we look at JET. But honestly, we're going to be living in a country with a per-capita GDP that equals or exceeds that of most of the countries we're coming from.

Default Re: "WTF am I doing" moment, one of many

Quote Originally Posted by heatherG
    Okay, maybe I should stop pre-emptively searching the forums for subjects like "cockroaches" and "homesickness".
    I keep having spasms of homesickness and I'm not even in the program and at least 5 months away from moving over by myself, if it comes to that.

I'm already worried about:
    • My mum.
      My cat.
      My dog.
      My grandparents (especially my grandfather).
      My town.
      My friends.
      My family.
      My finances.
      My career.

Probably a little sad of me, but I can't help the occasional paranoia.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

It's silly to be thinking it's silly to have some apprehensions. You're making a huge change in your lives and it's completely normal to be wondering if it's the right thing to do. If you really felt it wasn't right for you, you wouldn't have applied for the program. Right? Just kick back and relax. The next year or more will be a wild ride. Some parts good, some parts bad, but all unforgettable.

Will you hold me, Psych?
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

VIP

You shortlisters have some quality problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    Will you hold me, Psych?
    Wait a minute... if I wasn't already holding you, then who was that guy?

Damn you, Flying_Kiwis! You took advantage of my poor eyesight and my inability to distinguish between an Australian and a New Zealand accent. I feel so used. Now I need someone to hold me.

Wha's happenin' in my pants? Looks like 6 more weeks o' winter! Mmmmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by natsume
    You shortlisters have some quality problems.
    Back to the alternate cave with you! :smt074

Default Re: "WTF am I doing" moment, one of many

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby

I keep having spasms of homesickness and I'm not even in the program and at least 5 months away from moving over by myself, if it comes to that.

I'm already worried about:
    • My mum.
      My cat.
      My dog.
      My grandparents (especially my grandfather).
      My town.
      My friends.
      My family.
      My finances.
      My career.

Probably a little sad of me, but I can't help the occasional paranoia.
    Dude we share the same aggravating trait:

WE'RE WORRYWARTS!!!

I've always found - I know there isn't any such thing as "always" in life, or in English grammar, but it's true in this case - that when I worry about something a lot, it turns out totally fine and often can even be bodacious. So, I suppose, bring on the bodacious year in inaka Japan.