Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "WTF am I doing" moment, one of many

Well, maybe. If I'm not in JET, I won't be in the inaka, I'll be somewhere in tokyo.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    Well, maybe. If I'm not in JET, I won't be in the inaka, I'll be somewhere in tokyo.
    Have you started looking around for other options yet?

Yeah, I've spoken to 3 IT recruitment agencies via phone, 2 others via email. 2 wanted to sign me up then and there, citing that I'm close to ideal for what they want, which is encouraging.

At the moment, if JET doesn't happen, come August, I'll start applying for jobs, and move over at the end of October, feet first and hope to the gods above that I get a job.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

G'luck man, if you're as genki in real life as you are on the boards you'll definitely find a cushy teaching job in Japan =)

... you called me 'genki'...

:smt108

That's okay... that's fine... you weren't to know...

I'm not a real fan of the whole 'genki gaijin' thing... it makes me think that we have to act like raving giggling idiots.

If that's the case, no, I'm not genki. I suspect most Japanese folk will not get my sense of humour, it's somewhat more subtle, but I'll work on it.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Sciby, at least wait til the end of May before seriously considering other options, okay?
    Try not to take 'genki' as an insult - if I say a class is 'genki' I mean they have a good spirit and are fun; and I think of you like this, too. You're right about the Australian sense of humour not translating, though. Especially sarcasm. I just started at a new school and the brand new JTE (just graduated) went to Griffith Uni. for a year. She gets my sense of humour. Work is now so much more fun!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Sciby, at least wait til the end of May before seriously considering other options, okay?
    Heh, don't stress, the recruiters are my fall back plan. If I don't get into JET, so be it - I'll go to Tokyo. That's why I'm not freaking out, waiting for the phone to ring.

Try not to take 'genki' as an insult - if I say a class is 'genki' I mean they have a good spirit and are fun; and I think of you like this, too.
    I KEEEEEEEEELLL YOOOOOU!!!! *makes stabby motions*

Well... okay then. I wasn't actually insulted, but I do worry that people will be expected to act like the Genki English monkeys. I am not even close to bouncy or energetic, and I definitely wasn't in my interview... I'm just not that person. If a person is like that around me, I want to grab them by the neck and slap the silliness out of them.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I'm not like that, either, especially not in class. Years of teaching by myself means I'm quite serious, with the odd laugh thrown in to make sure they're awake.
    My school definitely doesn't want a prancing gaijin monkey just there for fun and games. My previous school did, but they adapted soon to what I could offer and ended up being happy with that.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    ... you called me 'genki'...

:smt108

That's okay... that's fine... you weren't to know...

I'm not a real fan of the whole 'genki gaijin' thing... it makes me think that we have to act like raving giggling idiots.

If that's the case, no, I'm not genki. I suspect most Japanese folk will not get my sense of humour, it's somewhat more subtle, but I'll work on it.
    Genki means a million things. In that context I meant you seem like a fun/nice/affable/warm/friendly guy. Genki was just quicker to type.

I knew what you meant, don't stress. There are many worse things to be called.

I get the 'WTF am I doing' moments all the time, mostly because my friends keep asking 'wtf are you doing?' It doesn't bother me much, but it is a little strange now that my roommate is looking for a replacement and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my stuff for a year.

As I see it, though, I'll be back in a few years at the most. Then, I'll have plenty of time waste my money on rent and drinks.

WTF am I doing? BF got shortlisted and I got slammed onto the alternate list. I decided that I'm going to go with him and look for a job when I get there. Can't believe I'm actually going to do that - definitely not something I'd usually do. I'm always the one to plan everything down to the last second. Hey, I'm a teacher at home - it's my job to plan stuff. For me to pack up, throw caution out the window and leave for year, I must really want to stay with this guy. Hopefully, I'll be able to secure some sort of job before I leave and I won't stress as much.

hehe, I get WTF moments all the time. I went travelling by myself 3 years ago and was in complete denial at what i was embarking on until about a week before - then I had the most nervous, panicked week I've ever had and it finally really hit home at Heathrow where I was a complete wreck - landing in Hong Kong 13 hours later sorted that out though and then I realised it was useless to be nervous when I was there: I needed to concentrate on actually getting around and doing things myself.

So, given that experience, I don't feel nervous about heading over to Japan - but I am worried about leaving my family - my Grandfather is getting older and more frail and I can't help but wonder if 2 or 3 years away in Japan might mean that I don't get any more quality time with him, but y'know - I've been waiting my whole life to do something that is meaningful for me and there'll always be something to hold me back - I'm 27, single, no ties apart from debts and I can't think of a more ideal time to do this. There will always be something that feels like a sacrifice. I'm ready for this, yet there are still those irrational moments where I wonder about things like whether they have HP Sauce in J-Land. ops: