Thread: 200 student activity in the Gym

Default 200 student activity in the Gym

Hello everyone, I was just approached by one of my ninensee JTEs who wants me to come up with an activity for the 200 ninensee in the gym. I teach at a high school and its fairly academic. The second years are going to Australia in November so my JTE wants me to come up with some kind of activity that would have them speaking English in the gym. It's hard enough for me to get 40 of them to speak English so I can't imagine how I'm going to pull this off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Debating. Choose an easy resolution ("Cats are better pets than dogs" works well for me, but "School cafeterias should only sell healthy food" or "School students shouldn't have to wear school uniform" are also good). Put butchers paper along two walls of the gym - one side is affirmative and one is negative. Give each kid a marker and give the whole group 10 minutes to write an idea on the paper.
    Then they put themselves into groups of 5-10 who all agree with either the affirmative or the negative side and together write that number of sentences.
    Affirmatives line up on one side of the gym, negatives on the other and you see how long they can keep the debate going. 1 point for each new point, 0 points for repeating a point, 2 points if they rebut a point the other side made.
    Since there are 200 of them, you may want to have 5 groups of 50, with 25 per side.
    Failing that, "Find someone who" or an interview activity where they then write up the interview in 3rd person.
    Not easy with so many kids... good luck!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

The biggest problem you're going to have with a class that size is getting them intereted and keeping them interested rather than them going off into little groups of their own discussing Nozomi's hair troubles.

So depending on the age and ability of the kids design an activity that would first start them as a whole group and then break them down into smaller groups.

So a chant with clapping and screaming and running around in English (particularly as it's a gym) would probably work before getting down to the more serious activity.

Remember to thoroughly demonstrate to the students the aims and then get them working by themselves in small groups and you just walk around and get a cup of coffee or something.

But as they're going to Australia, why not do an Australia related game? My kids love learning Australian slang, Australian names, places all that kinda jazz.

Unfortunately with a group that size and with smaller groups being formed youre going to have the odd group (maybe most of them) who just want to brush each other's hair or talk in Japanese) so the more teachers you have going around getting involved and moving around the better. THe best way you can achieve this is make it fun though. Give a competition between the groups of something. Wicket's idea'd work for that.

Thanks alot for all the help so far. And Wicket thanks again for the help last year, I'll be doing the same lessons with this years group of Australia bound students. I don't know of any Australia-related games, and I'm now realizing that this activity is a nightmare waiting to happen. 200 students in the gym with me as the ringleader... The debate idea seems like a great one, especially since I've always wanted to do it, if only I didn't have to relate it to Australia (the uniform debate would be a big hit) If anyone else has any ideas...I could use all the help I can get.

Debate why the school is squandering money sending students to Australia when they cannot hold a conversation in English.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by WedoJaG
    Thanks alot for all the help so far. And Wicket thanks again for the help last year, I'll be doing the same lessons with this years group of Australia bound students. I don't know of any Australia-related games, and I'm now realizing that this activity is a nightmare waiting to happen. 200 students in the gym with me as the ringleader... The debate idea seems like a great one, especially since I've always wanted to do it, if only I didn't have to relate it to Australia (the uniform debate would be a big hit) If anyone else has any ideas...I could use all the help I can get.
    Do something really simple that is unlikely to offend anyone except possibly yourself like 'Australia is a better country than America, yes or no'. It'll force them to look into Australia a bit and your own country a bit and you will have resultantly internationalised them.
    Debates are awesome fun! I wish my kids were high level so i could do that with them.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCarter
    Debate why the school is squandering money sending students to Australia when they cannot hold a conversation in English.
    Hahahahaah! :smt005
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"